Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That looks a lot simpler the one I saw from England. I wonder if it could be made to stop at the new intermediate halfway stop?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
I would take the stop out if I had to. Opening and closing that door is a huge pain.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
One thing to check

My 2013 AS always seemed like it required too much force to close the slider. When I brought the van in for it's first service A I was told that it was normal.

A few month ago I had an opportunity to visit a AS dealer that had several Interstates on site and compared the door closing with mine. All the new models I test closed much easier.

Looking back over everything I finally noticed that the weatherstripping in the upper cover of the door was bunched up. I still need to have MB redo the entire seal, but I was able to redo it for the most part by hand. It's not perfect, but it's made a huge difference in the about of force required to close.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
MB claims Airstream altered the door and added weight with different windows and outside covers therefore MB cannot guaranty the proper function and it is up to AS to insure the proper function.
I removed the stop so I have a better swing but it is not closing consistent and the "open door" alarm only comes on when you in gear which means now you have to park again and re-close the door. What a pain in the .......
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
MB claims Airstream altered the door and added weight with different windows and outside covers therefore MB cannot guaranty the proper function and it is up to AS to insure the proper function.....
Good info Peter. I forgot about how much Airstream has added to the door with RV screen window and inside trim that is thicker and heavier than the MB versions. That combined with an intermediate stop gives MB dealers an out. But it should still be possible to get this door to work correctly.

Airstream is an Authorized Sprinter up fitter. They go though a rigorous review process to get this approval from Mercedes Sprinter Engineering. To me that means MB Engineering is OK with door mods. But it's the dealers that don't want to handle this as a warranty item. Guess we need to keep working this dilemma.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
That is one of the reasons I chose to buy from an Airstream dealer that is also a Mercedes Benz dealer. They fix these things one way or the other.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
MB claims Airstream altered the door and added weight with different windows and outside covers therefore MB cannot guaranty the proper function and it is up to AS to insure the proper function.
I removed the stop so I have a better swing but it is not closing consistent and the "open door" alarm only comes on when you in gear which means now you have to park again and re-close the door. What a pain in the .......
Peter
I check to see if the sliding door is closed properly by pressing the door-lock button. It won't lock if it's not fully closed. I do this right after someone closes the door, so I can tell him/her to slam it again if needed.
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It will never be minivan smooth - after all, the Sprinter is a commercial van, for heavy duty use. You just get used to slamming it.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the tip with locking the door I will do this.
Meanwhile I found some gray dust arp puny the edge of the frame on the lower storage bin behind the sliding door. This is the reason for mine not to close proper the door would hit the frame and the frame pushed against the sliding door.
Just had it at Jackson Center and they cut the floor back to give it more room.
Yes the size of the door makes not too easy but mine was just unreal.
Everybody trying to adjust without fixing the cause did not help either. Only longtime wear would show the real problem.
Thanks

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote