Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
shower not draining in 2011 AI?

got my 2011 AI about 45 days ago...took it on the maiden voyage to Intl Rally in Farmington. While all things worked as expected....my first shower (navy size I swear) proved to simple gather in the shower pan. I was able to "baby plunge" the water into the grey tank. And, flush the grey tank. But it still will not drain water. Anyone else have had this challenge - and or any insights on what I should do? Trying to avoid my first service trip to Airstream for something that is ...stupid:-)? thanks!

Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwcubed View Post
got my 2011 AI about 45 days ago...took it on the maiden voyage to Intl Rally in Farmington. While all things worked as expected....my first shower (navy size I swear) proved to simple gather in the shower pan. I was able to "baby plunge" the water into the grey tank. And, flush the grey tank. But it still will not drain water. Anyone else have had this challenge - and or any insights on what I should do? Trying to avoid my first service trip to Airstream for something that is ...stupid:-)? thanks!
I was at Farmington as well, the white Interstate in site 4-151.

First rule of troubleshooting is, check the easy things first. The easy thing in this case is, is the gray tank full? You said you "flushed the gray tank" but it never hurts to check. A full gray tank would account for the symptoms you describe.

The next thing is, the shower drain on an Interstate's wet bath is much smaller than the one in your home, and it's easier to clog. It doesn't take much hair to clog the drain.

Try fishing around in the drain with a dental pickó a handy tool to carry just on general principlesó to see if you can dislodge a hairball. But be careful not to drop the pick down the drain! I bought a removable wire mesh strainer that I placed in my shower drain for exactly that purpose; I may not have any hair left on top, but I shed enough beard hair and body hair to cause problems over time.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
On our older trailer we carry a clean olf fashioned toilet plunger to help the shower along when it needs it. The plunger just rides in the shower until needed.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Along with a plunger on board I also carry and have used a small snake to unclog drains.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Along with a plunger on board I also carry and have used a small snake to unclog drains.
I'm not sure if a plumber's snake would damage a Hepvo valve, though.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm not sure if a plumber's snake would damage a Hepvo valve, though.
It might, in that case if it don't fit don't force it.😳

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
If you do all of those things listed above and still have no resolution, the next logical step is perhaps to verify that all of your lines are correctly plumbed. I don't know how this could be accomplished on a 2011, but on a 2007, it is achieved by scooting under the chassis and having a look-see. If one of your lines got damaged during previous ownership, it may have been inadequately repaired, leading to a problem. Some Interstates (especially the older T1N models, it seems) have experienced breakages in the joints between the ABS pipes and both the grey and the black water tanks. If an improper patch were installed in such a situation, it could impact the drainage.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
On a Hepvo Valve using a plunger may actually reverse the flow. I would suggest that by using compressed air blowing into the drain may reverse the rubber valve. This of course is if this is the issue.

IF you are using a plunger every time you pull the plunger off you are potentially pulling the valve the opposite direction causing it not to drain.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
thanks and an update...

thanks to all for this discussion....after seeing my Airstream dealer (my first trip here in Denver) and it was a great experience. After spending some time - they were able to pull out a type of pine cone like "thing" - obviously causing the clog. But, to another's insight on this thread: there was also some of the glue adding the the problem, and that value was cracked.
So, I am grateful for knowing 1) I'm not insane, and 2) we are close to having the problem resolved - waiting on a part (now it leaks - very little, but leaks). Again, all in all - grateful it's not a bigger deal.