Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Shower Floor Drain 2009 Interstate

Newbie question: is there a valve on the shower floor drain? My shower won't drain, and it seems not like a debris blockage, but a solid closure. I thought I had studied documentation well, but I don't see anything on this. All other drains work.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Is the gray water tank empty? This may make it see m like the "solid closure" you mention. Otherwise you might try a bathroom plunger. Be glad its not the black tank!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Is the gray water tank empty? This may make it see m like the "solid closure" you mention. Otherwise you might try a bathroom plunger. Be glad its not the black tank!!

Dan

Thanks Dan. The gray tank is empty. There is a solid blockage, metallic seeming. Just an inch down. Does this have a check or float valve that could be stuck? It seems if the gray were to be over-filled, it could back up into the shower floor.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The 2009 parts book shows an elbow just below the drain connected to a HEPVO valve. The HEPVO valve is a one way valve that replaces the P-trap on conventional drains.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The first, and only, time I used my shower, I ended up ankle deep in water. The rig had been unused for some time and the rubber HEPVO valve had obviously stuck together from non-use. I finally used the rubber plug as a hydraulic ram to break it free. About the 3rd time I put hydraulic pressure on the valve, it opened up and the water went down with a rush. I had poured some valve lubricant in the drain, so it shouldn't stick again.

I'll get to use the shower again in a couple of days. I'll see whether a couple of weeks non-use makes it stick again. If so, I know how to free it up this time. I'll just add some more lubricant if it sticks again..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The first, and only, time I used my shower, I ended up ankle deep in water. The rig had been unused for some time and the rubber HEPVO valve had obviously stuck together from non-use. I finally used the rubber plug as a hydraulic ram to break it free. About the 3rd time I put hydraulic pressure on the valve, it opened up and the water went down with a rush. I had poured some valve lubricant in the drain, so it shouldn't stick again.

I'll get to use the shower again in a couple of days. I'll see whether a couple of weeks non-use makes it stick again. If so, I know how to free it up this time. I'll just add some more lubricant if it sticks again..

So, if I understand correctly, there's a float or check valve that closes the shower drain when the gray tank fills? That would make sense, as the shower drain is the low point and this would prevent backup. Am I correct in this assumption/conclusion? (My shower has now decided to drain).
Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
So, if I understand correctly, there's a float or check valve that closes the shower drain when the gray tank fills? That would make sense, as the shower drain is the low point and this would prevent backup. Am I correct in this assumption/conclusion? (My shower has now decided to drain).
As I understand it, the valve is a pair of mating rubber surfaces that allow flow in one direction and block off flow in the opposite direction. Mine (and yours) apparently stuck together from not being used for a time. Here are a couple of images from the net.

There is very limited space between the van floor and the AI floor above it. The valve we have is apparently the long valve shown in the picture, installed horizontally.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
As I understand it, the valve is a pair of mating rubber surfaces that allow flow in one direction and block off flow in the opposite direction. Mine (and yours) apparently stuck together from not being used for a time. Here are a couple of images from the net.

There is very limited space between the van floor and the AI floor above it. The valve we have is apparently the long valve shown in the picture, installed horizontally.

Okay, excellent. It appears this valve would respond to hydraulic pressure, i.e. plunger or other force, when stuck.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Okay, excellent. It appears this valve would respond to hydraulic pressure, i.e. plunger or other force, when stuck.
That's what I did. I filled the drain with water and used the rubber plug as a piston. One good push and the drain popped open. I used it every evening for the last 4 days and no more sticking.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #10

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Adkins , Texas
Shower Drain Value

Upon inspection, I found a rubbery piece in the bottom leading to the elbow of the drain. A picture shows a bladder as a check valve. Somehow, the bladder had been pushed back into the shower. The plunger and water method put the valve back in the correct direction. It took several attempts however it now drains freely.
Thanks everyone for the post. AND, saving a trip the $RV$ center.

T. Murray
Airstream Interstate 2013
MyRvGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRvGoes View Post
The plunger and water method put the valve back in the correct direction. It took several attempts however it now drains freely.
Good thread resurrection (at least for me). The OP was before my joining the forum so this is good to know info. Didn't even know it had a valve, mainly coz I have read folks talking about water backing up into their shower basin. So maybe those folks have a defective (stuck open) valve? I learn something new here everyday.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
Contributing Member

It should not back up unless the gray tank is full, the HEPVO valve is stuck, or the drain is full of hair. The last is common because the rate of flow is fairly small and the hair is not carried away.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
It should not back up unless the gray tank is full, the HEPVO valve is stuck, or the drain is full of hair. The last is common because the rate of flow is fairly small and the hair is not carried away.
We use this in all drains and no issues of hair clogging drain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_140925.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	405272
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_141746.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	405273

Then use this to remove the hair without touching that yucky stuff

Name:   qtip-trusts.jpg