Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #85
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
FYI: Saw pictures of a prototype AI that was wider and had a slide out. Photos were taken at JC about 4 weeks ago. So stand by, might be getting larger in the near future....?????
Pity they didn't copy the Roadtrek RS Agile, which has a slide-out in the rear. Open the rear doors, and the slide extends out between them. That would have been a great way to handle the sofa-lounge— sofa mode with the slide in, bed mode with the slide out. Then a slide on the side behind the driver's seat that allows for a larger bathroom…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
I'm hoping Airstream goes the other way and produces a coach based on the 2500 chassis. All electric (no genset, no propane) with a 4x4 option please. Hey, a guy can dream....
I doubt that it will ever happen. The 2500s were really too close to GVWR to begin with. Plus, to get enough power in there to be all electric, Airstream would need to do the kind of integrated electrical job that LB_3 has done, and I have difficulty imagining that customers would be willing to pay for that. It's such a small customer base that would want to buy exactly that product at an incredibly high price. There's a reason why the aftermarket solar / lithium vendors put the bulk of the upfit into the EXT portion of the 3500. It's because it would be three times the cost to put it anywhere else, due to the labor required.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
If AS produces an Interstate with the floorpan of the Winnebago ERA 70C, I am all in.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...era/floorplans

This places the bed near the front, and has an excellent bath with separate shower. Winnebago makes many nice units on the Sprinter chassis, and if push comes to shove and I get too old for the 53 feet of truck/trailer, I would consider changing brands. But, I would possibly purchase an old AS, modify it to accept a vehicle inside and then pull it with the Sprinter chassis RV. I do not want to move outside the AS family as I enjoy the friends and others in our community.
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #88
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Time for a trip to Can AM RV Centre, in London, ON.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I doubt that it will ever happen. The 2500s were really too close to GVWR to begin with. Plus, to get enough power in there to be all electric, Airstream would need to do the kind of integrated electrical job that LB_3 has done, and I have difficulty imagining that customers would be willing to pay for that. It's such a small customer base that would want to buy exactly that product at an incredibly high price. There's a reason why the aftermarket solar / lithium vendors put the bulk of the upfit into the EXT portion of the 3500. It's because it would be three times the cost to put it anywhere else, due to the labor required.

Roadtrek seems to be able to get it done with their Agile and keep a 1500lb CCC, I just don't like their build quality (or lack thereof.....). A "drive everyday" size is very attractive to me, and the more I use the Interstate and run into limitations due to its 24' length, the more I'm drawn to coaches on a smaller chassis.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Roadtrek seems to be able to get it done with their Agile and keep a 1500lb CCC, I just don't like their build quality (or lack thereof.....). A "drive everyday" size is very attractive to me, and the more I use the Interstate and run into limitations due to its 24' length, the more I'm drawn to coaches on a smaller chassis.
Now that I look at it, you do have a point. Supposing their Ecotrek 800 system works as described, it does fit the bill (the 800 is the only one that is apparently allowable as the upgrade on the Agile). And it's only a $25K mark-up instead of the $40K-ish that Airstream reportedly proposed for an analogous option.

We saw an Agile at the Houston RV Show. I was underwhelmed and I wouldn't see myself paying for one under normal circumstances. Ecotrek takes the MSRP to $154K and even with typical down-negotiating of the price, I'm not feeling it. Plus there have been those two new-on-the-scene damning bloggers explaining why the build is just not being executed properly (classbwarned and the other one).
Old 08-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Just a note... my RV "history"... AS 25D, AS 27FB, Tiffin Allegro Bus 44 QGP, AS 30 RB, now to go to anything smaller than an Interstate is most likely not going to happen.

I am looking at ways to make the generator in the bed of my current TV, Dodge Ram 2500, easier to hook-up to the AS 30 RB I currently tow. And, this may be my compromise, as each time I change to a new vehicle the dollar out lay is usually significant.

My primary complaint with the Interstate is the wet bath and small fresh water capacity. if they had specs like the Winnebago ERA 70C, i.e., 45 gal fresh water with 22/25 gal black/gray, this makes the issue of stops while on the road to final destination much easier to do. Also, the Winnie has the bed on a forward slide out, which while requiring a slide out, may remove it from the noise of the generator.

All this discussion is my attempt to actually make a positive change to the RV I do my traveling for the next five years or more. So, all the feedback is very, very much appreciated.

And, when i am at Alumalina this fall, I will be doing a lot of injuries with those who may have an Interstate in attendance...

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #92
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
And, when i am at Alumalina this fall, I will be doing a lot of injuries with those who may have an Interstate in attendance...
I trust you actually mean "inquiries"? Though you MAY have reasons to beat them bloody, too…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Now that I look at it, you do have a point. Supposing their Ecotrek 800 system works as described, it does fit the bill (the 800 is the only one that is apparently allowable as the upgrade on the Agile). And it's only a $25K mark-up instead of the $40K-ish that Airstream reportedly proposed for an analogous option.
While the extra $25k is a big pill to swallow, given everything that comes in that package (EcoTrek™ 800, 370W solar panel with engine generator, VoltStart, diesel with Alde heat and hot water system, induction stove, convenient screen door package, 24″ LED TV), the price doesn't seem that out of line. Heck, 800AH of Li alone could run $8-10k.

Anywho, it would be nice to see Airstream come out with something that competes with that, but like you said, it's unlikely that will ever happen due to limited demand for such a beast. Who knows, maybe Hymer's purchase of Roadtrek will bring some better quality control to the Roadtrek line and one day their quality will make them interesting. Until then, I'll stick with my Interstate....
Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #94
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Speaking of dollar outlays, have you considered downsizing to a Bowlus Road Chief and a smaller tow vehicle? They are shiny aluminum, and I bet Airstreamers would still let you hang out with them, especially given the Hayley Bowlus back story.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #95
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Speaking of dollar outlays, have you considered downsizing to a Bowlus Road Chief and a smaller tow vehicle? They are shiny aluminum, and I bet Airstreamers would still let you hang out with them, especially given the Hayley Bowlus back story.
Why I recommended Andy. A hot rod Porsche and a 20'!!

Tommie, if you'd seen what I have with some of those rigs out on the road (and given your history with Porsche, etc), you'd not relate those rigs to travel with trailer. It's another dimension.

Can Am also does custom work on trailers. Built in gensets, etc.

A guy who pulls with a Jag sedan has definite ideas. Worth an appointment. No matter what you wind up with.

Shoot, a Bowlus and a shiny "exotic" TV and the right road thru the right neighborhood , well, you might make enough off of the smitten to start again and travel a full year, ha!

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
(the 800 is the only one that is apparently allowable as the upgrade on the Agile). And it's only a $25K mark-up instead of the $40K-ish that Airstream reportedly proposed for an analogous option.
Actually it looks like you can order it with their "Outback Package" and it reduces the battery bank to the Eco 400 vs. the 800 and shaves off $8,000.

If I get the under mount A/C and "awning delete" option it also looks like it will pass my HOA restrictions (no RV's ), AND the shorter wheelbase w/ less "tail" and 4x4 will clear my roadway/driveway slope problem so I could park at the house. Hmmm.....
Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
AS Must Be Making Progress

So, some spy photos....

AS_Proto_EXP_08.11.2017_TFL-2 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

AS_Proto_EXP_08.11.2017_TFL-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

The question is "when and how much?"

This is so similar to the Winnebago', and Tiffins 24TW & N24QW, built on the Sprinter chassis.... I noted the Tiffin has a 3200 w Onan Diesel Generator, 40 gallons of fresh water. The Winnebago ERA 70 M, has 44 gallons fresh water but only a 2500 watt LP generator. The Winnebago 24G, a Class C has an LP generator as well... not the best IMO

So, I will most likely be placing my Serenity 30RB, with Dodge TV up for sale in the late fall. And if I am able to get what I want for the complete package, I will no doubt go to a Class C, AS or if they are not ready, may have to go to an SOB. But, will get something AS to qualify for the WBCCI membership.

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
So, some spy photos....

AS_Proto_EXP_08.11.2017_TFL-2 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

AS_Proto_EXP_08.11.2017_TFL-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

The question is "when and how much?"

This is so similar to the Winnebago', and Tiffins 24TW & N24QW, built on the Sprinter chassis.... I noted the Tiffin has a 3200 w Onan Diesel Generator, 40 gallons of fresh water. The Winnebago ERA 70 M, has 44 gallons fresh water but only a 2500 watt LP generator. The Winnebago 24G, a Class C has an LP generator as well... not the best IMO
I wish them success. Not sure I see a huge demand for a $200k B+/C, which is where this thing will likely end up, but apparently they do....