Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
More questions for the Interstate crowd.... when confronted with a campsite which is not level, does the Interstate have some sort of leveling device or are boards,

I have a 2006 Interstate (pretty recent purchase)- I never had a trailer, although as a kid our family had a couple of Shasta trailers, so while I know nothing about towing them, I guess I have some experience.
The Interstate has worked well for two of us so far. Great mileage (25-26), adequate room, very comfy, super easy to drive, park etc.
Mine actually had a full leveling system (Bigfoot) installed, but someone took the jacks off for some reason (tanks, pumps and mou to all still there). I'm looking into getting it working. So far it has not been a big deal for leveling, but I could certainly see where having a built in system would be pretty deluxe.

The shower is ok for me (5'10" and 175) but I could see where a larger person wouldn't find it so great. I don't know how it compares to the newer models. Since it is used so little (comparatively) I'd rather have a cramped one and not loose the space.

I looked at larger Sprinter based ones, but didn't like the size or mileage. This is pretty darn versatile as far as getting into places, backing up etc.
At a campground I was at a few weeks ago- I had parked in the incorrect spot. The nice lady that checked us in came by and said we could stay in that one, but the other has a 30amp,service rather than just a 15amp one. It only took a few minuts to unhook and move it- she said many make it sound like the end of the world to make a move...
It is a little long for regular parking spots, unless you can back in and let it hang over, then it is fine.

I use it for going off-road motorcycle riding. A hitch mounted rack and ready to go. Great having a warm, dry place to change etc- even hang out after. If the weather is crummy. I will also be camping and riding. (OSSA Explorer and AJP Ultrapassar)

Like others have mentioned, the Interstate is great for traveling, other options may be better for camping. It drives great and I don't have to worry much about the roads, dead ends etc. But when camping high espace is more limited than the larger MH options, or trailer. Some fridns just got a class C sprinter with the sliders etc- loads of room inside and I'm sure will be much nicer for camping. But the smaller setup will be a lot nicer to drive I think.
Depends on how much 'staying in one place' you do. So far, we have not stayed long I any places but that could change I suppose. (Exception is I will stay at a place to ride for a few days- like I did with my old Eurovan)

Just a couple of thoughts.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Is there a fuel tank replacement for the Interstate that increases capacity. Now my Dodge 2500 TV has 95 gallons of diesel (about 85 usable) via a second tank. I like the extended range between fuel stops, allows purchasing fuel at the least expensive areas.

Thanks again...
I don't know where an extra fuel tank would go on an Interstate, Tommie, and mileage with these Diesel engines is already excellent.

I have to stop to use the restroom long before I need fuel, especially when poking around backroads, when I can go 4-5 days between fill-ups.

This thread has a lot of Interstate info, for those who are interested...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ate-74960.html

Maggie
Old 12-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thread sounds as much like "change for changes sake" as anything.

I see your taking your time, so here's some thoughts that direction:

Changes to that Dodge (Koni FSD shocks, rear Panhard Rod, rear anti-roll plus upsize front) can make a difference. Same for EFI-Live engine tuning. Air ride suspension another avenue. Don't count it out.

Granted, even a better sorted one ton truck isn't nimble, maybe a Euro SUV and shorter trailer better fits the bill.

FWIW, Tommie, I'm out on the road about 3000-miles/week. Doubt there are many who see more AS. And the only ones "having fun" behind the wheel not coincidentally have Ontario license plates.

Big difference to be observed for anyone used to evaluating performance at the wheel or watching it go past. Even if this was a past rig for you, worth looking at.

An overweight van pulling a crude cargo trailer isn't a gain performance wise. Nor is a "motorcycle" much good in anything but perfect conditions.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Thanks for sharing! Fabulous to read. ...
Fabulous to read in part because it's so well-practiced. Those are the same arguments that he (my husband) used in 2014 to convince me that we needed to buy an Interstate in the first place. I originally wanted an Airstream trailer, and I'm SO GLAD we didn't get one.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #65
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We had a 1998 Airstream Class B motorhome (a.k.a. B190) and loved almost everything about it. The only downside was the floor plan. When we sold the van I actually shed a tear - I hated to see it go. The only thing allowing me to sell the B190 was the hope that we would some day buy an Interstate twin bed model. We're still looking. We also have an Airstream trailer.

If we had an Interstate we wouldn't tow anything. There's real beauty in the simplicity of having everything with you no matter where you go. I suggest the OP consider not towing a trailer with a motorcycle. Keep it simple - Interstate only - and experience having your food, toilet, shower, clothes, etc. with you at all times. Stop for lunch - no problem. Found a new place to camp - no problem. Afternoon thunderstorm pops up - no problem. Sun goes down and it gets cold - no problem. Stop to go shopping - no problem. Just about the only thing you have to be concerned about is the height and that's not difficult to work around.

An Interstate is probably not the best solution for long-term camping in one location. If you're traveling, touring, sightseeing and exploring the open road it's one of the best modes of travel.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks so much

To summarize my RV history...AS25 then AS 27FB, then Tiffen Allegro Bus 43 footer, back to AS Serenity 30RB. But, to reiterate, I would like to get even smaller, possibly pull a small trailer with a CanAm Spyder on it.

However, I am reading some very good arguments for not changing as well as the argument for the Interstate. At present I am thinking I should just keep what I have for this year, going slowly, taking it easy, then reassess after the 2017 travel year ends.

At the same time, I may test the waters and place the truck and trailer on the market and see if anyone wants to pay my asking price. One of the wonderful things about the Forum is the willingness of folks to help out in anyway they can.

And, thanks, Lillie, yes, the potty stops are far more frequent than fuel....LOL
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might spend some time in an Interstate, Tommie, at a rally, or even rent one if you can.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
If I were looking at switching from my trailer to a mini MH, I'd take a very hard look at Leisure Travel Vans Unity. A friend of ours bought one last year. Outstanding build quality, great floor plans, good mileage.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #69
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Regarding Maggie's rental idea, which is a good one. There are lots of other camper brands built on the same chassis so you could rent whatever is available to get just a taste of what it's like to camp in a sprinter. If you like it, then you can greenlight your interest in an Airstream Interstate, regardless of which Sprinter-based camper you tried out.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
nvestysly------
Hi you guys. Did NOT know you were looking for twin bed Interstate. Ideally would you like a 2500 model or newer 3500?? I don't think I would trade my single rear wheels for duallys and the bigger thirstiest engine and EPA required modifications, but that's just my bias. The newer Interstates sure are pretty.
I saw two rear twin beds for sale a few months ago, I'll keep an eye open.
Interblog watches for this style also, so ask her to let you know if she finds one.

Hope we see you soon on another Boondocking adventure. ED & JAN
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
If I were looking at switching from my trailer to a mini MH, I'd take a very hard look at Leisure Travel Vans Unity....
Myself, I'd take a hard look at the entire Class B market, because it seems to be evolving at a fast clip.

For instance, Coachmen just launched its new Crossfit onto the market within the past several days - it's not even listed on their website yet. And while I don't agree with everything they've done on this one, I have to hand it to them for thinking of some novel approaches to Class B trade-offs. It's a contender, and clearly intended to compete with higher-end Class Bs.

Here's The Fit RV's walk through of this new entry... I like these guys and their informal he-she banter.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Let's remember, tho, that it's important for the OP to remain in the WBCCI, so that requires keeping an Airstream product.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Pretty obvious that Coachmen had seen an AI. Lots of carry-over.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #74
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Let's remember, tho, that it's important for the OP to remain in the WBCCI, so that requires keeping an Airstream product.

Maggie

My ballcap and key ring ain't enough?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Pretty obvious that Coachmen had seen an AI. Lots of carry-over.
Yup. They intend to go head-to-head. I can see that they've paid attention to their build quality in a way that Airstream hasn't focused on - yet. Open up the hidden spaces and the mechanicals and electricals appear more thought-out and orderly in their installation - not the typical dog's breakfast of wires and pipes and stuff tacked wherever it will fit. That is going to score points with a lot of discerning buyers. Hint hint, Airstream.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
"dog's breakfast"; I like that! I was just thinking today, as I was walking the dog, my dream RV would have removable floor panels with all of the RV systems neatly laid into the subfloor, with labels and easy access. Oh, maybe I am thinking of the boat I used to own.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Should I switch to an Interstate in a year?

We had a SOB Class B as our first RV.

We bought it used, and traveled across the US for 12 weeks last year.

We are still married, but it was close.

Kidding, of course. We found that the limited space in the 22' MBZ van, constant hooking and unhooking and 'just a bit too big' of the Class B did not match up with our needs. The small RVs can work for extended travel, just not for us. We are MUCH happier with a truck/AS combo.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Still confused, but maybe...

I am in the middle of a tour from North Carolina to Snowbird, Utah (5 miles of 7-10% grade to Snowbird at 20 - 30 mph) then on to Grand Junction, CO via Moab and along the Colorado River UT 128 (stunning) and then across CO to Trindiad Lake State Park via US 50, CO 69, and I-25. Again, the pull to 8700 feet on CO 69 southbound was interesting.

But the issue which I found most frustrating was taking photographs, one of my primary hobbies. Finding a place to park 53 feet of truck/trailer along most of the way was indeed a problem. And, I would think the Interstate at 24 feet, or even with an additional 16 feet of trailer carrying a motorcycle or Smart car would still be only 40 feet, far easier to find a spot to park than 53.

Thus the conflict between the extreme comfort of my 30 feet of Serenity, with all the additions, vs, the convenience of the Interstate, especially when parked in the Flying J at night, requiring about twenty minutes to hook up the generator in the truck bed so i could be in the Serenity air conditioned in the night heat... 80 - 90 degrees on some nights.

But, for the snapshots... this still looks pretty good...

IDAA Tour_III_08.06.2017_TFL-3-7 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

I also like the large shower and 54 gallons of water.... maybe I need to rent an Interstate or something similar to see how it goes.....

Has anyone pulled a small trailer, about 3000 lbs GVWR for the trailer and cargo?
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I am a photographer too and one of the motivations for getting the Interstate has been that. I can almost park anywhere a normal car would and almost make the same quick decisions to stop some place. I can go to many places where there is a "No RV" sign on the road.

I compared the area inside and it is a bit smaller than comparable trailer I looked at and it is not too much of a compromise. Also note that you get a generator that you don't have or have to lug in the truck.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I have pulled a 19' 7000lbs trailer with mine. I also towed a 2007 Honda Element fully loaded about 5000lbs.
The problem with the new Interstate is they only come in extended which means the tow capacity is lower (5000lbs) and the overhang is longer.
I love my Interstate as it allows me up stop almost anywhere.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote