Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Shore power problem?

My charging system is giving me trouble. Running off the generator everything is 100%, but when I plug into shore power I have an intermittent problem. Sometimes I plug in and everything works, other times I plug in and either nothing happens at all (like I'm not plugged in) or the Intellitec EMS panel starts to do it's normal start up drill for just a moment and then goes blank. Once it goes dark, plugging and unplugging does no good, though sometimes if I leave it plugged in and come back later I will find it has started charging, other times not. Anytime its not working on shore power, I can fire up the generator and everything works normally.

Also, sometimes when it is charging normally on shore power, when I turn on the air conditioning it comes on as it should, the amp reading notches up to 15-18, the unit starts cooling and after anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes later the EMS unit goes dark and I lose all power. Even when that happens, I can still fire up the generator and everything works normally even while running the A/C.

Does this sound like a problem with the Intellitec EMS, the Tripplight inverter/charger or a problem with my shore power conneciton?

Notes: I'm plugging in only to the 30 amp RV plug at my house through my Surge Guard surge protector. My electrician has checked my shore power plug, I am having no other problems with the 600 amp service I have at the house and the Surge Guard has reported no issues. I'm using the same RV cord that I got when I bought the unit three years ago and it has no signs of overheated plugs/scorching.

Thanks for any tips on tracking this down!

PS Lewster if you are reading this I'd love it if you could stop by OK on the way back to FL this fall and do a full Magnum charger/battery monitor/solar upgrade on your way home!
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Take a look at this site.
Intellitec EMS problem

Sounds like either the EMS system is going bad or it is not seeing enough power availability from you shore power.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I just gave the line transfer switch a good whack and the power came on. Ordered a new one from Amazon for $82. Hopefully this fixes it.

The part in question is about a 5" by 5" by 8" galvanized box located on the drivers side rear of the van, just behind the water heater. Its a PPS (Parallax Power Supply) Model ATS 301 Automatic Line/Generator Switch.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
PS Lewster if you are reading this I'd love it if you could stop by OK on the way back to FL this fall and do a full Magnum charger/battery monitor/solar upgrade on your way home![/QUOTE]

Lewster,
When you are done in Norman, Oklahoma , you could stop in Tulsa and do a full upgrade here too.
Road Jager