Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Talking Shopping for Interstate 3500 extended lounge

Ok...done the research here and other sites with everyone's help a few months ago. In shopping mode the past few days. Have some offers out there and now waiting for the close. Does anyone else here really hate the game that is played with the sales staff and managers? The internet has made it much easier for the consumer to be knowledgeable and educated. However it seems the RV industry is on hold over from the 1950's. To me it's simple I have the money...they have the RV. Why can't we come to a reasonable deal without this delay and tactics to try and make the desire of the object overcome the logic.
I have stayed calm...though I get irritated at the effort that goes into the sales folks who want to stretch this out. Oh well...breathe!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Thumbs up Let the fun begin!

Done! Delivery on Tuesday. Looking forward to joining other Airstream folks very soon.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Waldorf , Maryland
Congratulations!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
JM7
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
East Olympia , Washington
Excellent! Enjoy
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeee-ha!!

Interstates are good. .

Congratulations!

Maggie
Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The games are inevitable, no matter what kind of RV you buy. The typical RV dealer sells in a year what an automobile dealer sells in a month. They have to pay their overhead and make their profit from a smaller number of sales, so they work hard to get as much as they can from every sale. They can't afford to give you a break in the hopes that the next customer is less savvy and they can make up their losses from HIM. They're not in business to lose money, after all.

I think you'll find that the joys of having one will do much to offset the agonies of buying one. I certainly do! I only bought mine eight months ago, and I've already racked up almost 5000 miles in four canping trips totalling 25 nights in three different states, And that's just what I could manage while working full-time. Now that there are Federal holidays in every remaining month of the year and I will have more time off from work, I've got six more trips planned, and already have reservations for four of them. Mississippi Hill Country for Labor Day (could be a damp one if Tropical Storm Isaac comes through late next week); visiting my parents in Oklahoma for Columbus Day (road trip, but no camping); Texas Piney Woods for Veterans' Day; and Ozarks for Thanksgiving. Still haven't figured out where to go for Christmas or New Year's, but there's still time.

If you see a big white Sprinter on the road with big red numbers "1105" over the windshield or rear doors, give me a honk and a wave!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Thanks to all of you!

I know you advised me before and I did make a deal I was happy with. The dealer seems ok with it to and after all he accepted it. We are a white one too...will post photo soon. Can't wait to have our first outing....have been reading up on the kick the tires at the dealers and hope we won't forget something. Our shakedown cruise will be in small day one night trips for a while then more as we go.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Thumbs down I hate cliche's but Epic Fail

It should read Fail.....and suffice to say that maybe this is not our RV after all. Not our fault but Airstream may need to go back to drawing board. Perhaps its a sign....we'll stick with our original plan for extended travel abroad

The good news is that the dealership is so far being a champion about the whole thing....that is rare I do believe in some consumer markets.

Looked at the Classic which are delightful but not sure yet.

bye for now!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanchine View Post

It should read Fail.....and suffice to say that maybe this is not our RV after all. Not our fault but Airstream may need to go back to drawing board. Perhaps its a sign....we'll stick with our original plan for extended travel abroad

The good news is that the dealership is so far being a champion about the whole thing....that is rare I do believe in some consumer markets.

Looked at the Classic which are delightful but not sure yet.

bye for now!
How, fail? What went wrong? You can't leave us all hanging like this!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Waldorf , Maryland
Smile

Even with the internet, nothing is a substitute for a good ol' hands on evaulation. We'd been considering a Spinter Van Conversion for the better part of a year. We made several (somewhat lengthy) trips to RV shows so that we could look at some of the brand options...Roadtrek, Winnebago, and finally Airstream (actually had to go to the dealer to see and have hands on). I think you need to sit inside, understand what it is going to feel like to LIVE in it.

I think the limited size isn't for everyone. For us, we wanted something easy to drive and park. We think of our 'Silver Bullet' as more of a destination van, then a 'camper' (although we just spent last Saturday night at a local campground!). It suits our travel perfectly...but I can certainly see that it might not suit everyone.

But...what's the saying, someone's trash is someone else's treasure? We got our 2012 RV 'used' (with 200 miles) because the person that orginally bought it didn't like the seat configuration once he/she got it home. So...THANKS to that unknown person! Because we LOVE it!

Extended travel in Europe sounds fun! Good luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
But...what's the saying, someone's trash is someone else's treasure? We got our 2012 RV 'used' (with 200 miles) because the person that orginally bought it didn't like the seat configuration once he/she got it home. So...THANKS to that unknown person! Because we LOVE it!
Some people just have too much money!

Waldorf, eh? I used to live behind the mall. After a couple other moves, I now live in Bowie, MD.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Waldorf , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater
Some people just have too much money!
LOL...that's what the dealer said! But hey...who am I to judge? I used to think that the person that surrendered my little dog to the Humane Society was crazy because she's the best little dog ever (somewhat prejudice) ...but if they hadn't, she wouldn't be mine! All things are meant to be :-)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Talking response

I understand the responses that my post has illicited. We had done the hands on and the comparison shopping of roadtrek and other models such as the Airstream. There was no question that this was the model which would work for us. We had a Class C 20 years ago and loved it. We wanted the good mileage the classy style the up market materials, reputation of Airstream, and Mercedes/Sprint. I am fairly thorough when it comes to what to buy. Not to disclose my whole life but we have lived abroad and bought and sold houses overseas and here in the US.
I am not trying to be defensive but I would like the fans of the airstream to perhaps learn from my experience. It may not be yours and for that I shout Yay!!. On the walk-through the electrical/generator/aircond failed caused a fire which they weren't able to track down in the hours we stayed around. The sale was complete...They said they hadn't run across the issue they think caused this. The Manager of both mechanics and sales were very professional and courteous. The dearlership regrets this but wants to make it a positive conclusion. I made it very clear that it was a deal breaker since I wasn't waiting for repair on my yet unclaimed RV. So I wait for the sale to be voided and all things put right. I wanted to share all this immediately but thought I'd wait to see it through before disclosing. I think we consumers should share our experience so that everyone is more knowledgeable. That is what a forum provides..sharing information. I wrote Protaginist a PM since he has been so responsive. Everyone is going to have an opionion about what we did or did not do or what we did or did not fully understand. I just made the decision and spouse agreed...together 41 years, so there you have it. Enjoy your gorgeous Airstreams. My little grandson went with us to pick it up and he said upon his first look "Now your talking" he told his Mother it was BEAUTIFUL. He also said "out of the mouths of babes" it is too small for full-time...he is 6 years old. He liked the 250,000 variety....don't we all.
thanks for everything. It isn't trash and no I don't have too much money but if I did then it's because we earned it and can be as picky as we want. I don't think having a fire in your brand new RV not off the lot would be a deal breaker for most. Maybe I am wrong...I am all the time.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Waldorf , Maryland
Thanks for the info! Hopefully not a common problem!

And just want to clear...my trash comment and the subsequent 'too much money' comment were not aimed at you...but at my fortunate used Interstate story. And as I said before...I don't judge those things anyway....everyone has to do what they feel is right for them! Again, good luck on your travels!