Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #21
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There are times when I have to hold my mouth shut with both hands in order to feign a facsimile of politeness. There was a recent thread in the trailer section titled something like, "Does your wife drive?" My head wanted to explode at the idea of the question even having to be asked. But I was a nice girl, and did not take the bait.
I joke about my wife but she's a mighty independent lady, which is why we ain't livin together. She don't need a trailer to go campin cause she's a die hard tent camper-- a real mountain woman. I worked hard while she went to college and now she's a fancy scientist and I ain't gotta work no more!

So there's another side for ya.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
This may sound kind of crazy, but we we've been looking at some places we would love to go in our AI and some of them would involve 28-30 hours of driving one way (i.e., practically speaking 3 days). The thought of flying and exploring, e.g., Glacier N.P and Banff in a minivan knowing our AI is at home would kill me, but since I'm not retired, 6 days of getting there and back isn't very practical or appealing either given the most time I can take is 2 weeks... and that's pushing it. So I started to wonder whether it would make sense to ship the AI out ahead of us, fly out to pick it up where we really want our trip to start, spend time where we want to be, and then take our time driving back. I figure even if it costs $1k to ship it, I'd probably spend that much renting a large SUV for 10 days anyway. But logistically I don't know how precise shippers can be with timing. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing something like this? Do you think it could work? I did a little internet research tonight and it seems like something that could be pulled off with lots of advance planning.
Rushing to Glacier or Banff is no fun. Bein there a week is hardly enough, I think. Ya may wanna take a look at how to plan more time. I know doctors and judges that managed to take a month or two a year to travel. Don't work your life away.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Drive it out there in three days, store it, then fly home on a round trip ticket. A week (or two or three), fly out and do your touring, then drive back.
Pat
Brilliant.
You can fly to Missoula (recommended) or take Amtrak to Whitefish (highly recommended). With a bit more notice, I'd come get it for you and drive it to Glacier!

p.s. You don't want to drive an RV or anything over that road anyway. Take the red tourbus option so you can GAWK. There's hundreds of miles of gorgeous from Glacier south, so take the Airstream there. I lived in the Bitterroot Valley quite a few years, and it's HIGHLY recommended.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You'll love the "Going to the Sun" road precisely because large vehicles are banned. No large trucks, no fifth wheels, no motorhomes, and unfortunately, no AI.
You could always rent a car in Kalispel for a few days.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #25
S/O mbr. #48

2009 30' SO Classic
Saline , Michigan
Cost to ship RV unit

If you truly want to ship your unit understand that it will cost from a low of $2.50 - to a high of 5.50 per mile or more and no guaranteed date that you can count on for delivery. I did this once from AL to Michigan.
NardEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
@Lukowski, Can we be friends?
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Talking about the 'Going to the Sun' road- we did it in one of the Lotus I used to own (darn, should have never sold that one).
Fun road, it would be ok on my T1N I think, but not if they dont' allow 22'. (I don't recall that limitation, but I wasn't really paying attention).

If you were coming to the Olympics, I'd drive it up for you.

Here is a picture
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Every time I did the "going to the Sun" road, I thought, "How did they build this?" It's in the middle of nowhere, full of grizzly bears, bad weather, high altitude, and yet the craftsmanship is unparalleled. It couldn't be done today.
I did it on a motorcycle, I got to feel the temperature change, the clouds form, the drizzle turn to rain, and the smells of the forest.
We got blocked by an avalanche in August, and basked in the stunning beauty of the place.
But don't tell anyone, I don't want it to become Yellowstone, ugh.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Glacier park trip

Hey,
If you have it trucked out to glacier, you may want to meet it somewhere. If your camping with it right away, now is the busy time of year at the park,and the campgrounds close to it. You may want to call ahead and make a reservation at on of the campgrounds. The KOA has a lot of kid stuff, ed sue and sans is a good grownup place. Not to much for kids. glacier campground and BBQ is a good place, these places may even keep your MH at their place and come and pick you up at the airport. Lots of really good people out there. I have met many of them, and a lot of the auto shops were my customers. That was my territory. As for the park? Well if you go hiking, keep your kids in sight,as in 25 ft. There are bears and mountian lions out there. The bears won't generally give you a problem, but the cats will kill little ones. Even when your in the campgrounds... I'm not trying to scare you, just be mindfully of where you are. The goats are also very cute, but they are way protective of their little ones. Up on the pass they wander around with people around, but they do not like you getting to close. When the head goes down, they are getting ready to charge. You will never forget that place. Nor will your kids. Have a huckleberry shake from eddies for me. Very good, and good for you I may add. I envy you. I met my wife out there 32 years ago . My second love is that place. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Shipping RV for One Way Cross Country Trip?

In late September 1986 we showed up at the east entrance to Gacier at around 2pm. We had a 1987 Cadillac and a 87 31' Excella. There was no one there so we ignored the 21' sign and headed in. Our friends were traveling with us. Rich was a news camera man and he spent most of the climb sitting on the roof filming with his legs in the sunroof.

Spectacular drive and no problem with the 31' but there was no one there and we tended to fill the scenic lookouts.

Did we ever get chewed out by the ranger at the west gate though.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
In late September 1986 we showed up at the east entrance to Gacier at around 2pm. We had a 1987 Cadillac and a 87 31' Excella. There was no one there so we ignored the 21' sign and headed in. Our friends were traveling with us. Rich was a news camera man and he spent most of the climb sitting on the roof filming with his legs in the sunroof.

Spectacular drive and no problem with the 31' but there was no one there and we tended to fill the scenic lookouts.

Did we ever get chewed out by the ranger at the west gate though.
Thanks for the chuckle, Andy! We've towed all the way around and stayed in Kalispell. Having driven the road completely more than once (solo, and I think my wife has driven it 3 or 4 times with friends and family), I wouldn't consider it particularly challenging. There's just a handful of narrow spots where you would need to watch where you were placing the trailer on the road. However, there's a lot of traffic there in July and August, and I can see that too many RVs would make the congestion even worse.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote