Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
Shining the wheels

I know there has been more than one thread on this subject, but I have spent the last hour trying to search this forum with no joy. So here goes the wheels we have on the 2011/2012 model I think have no sealant or coating but I want to know for sure. Mine seems a little "milky" and I have been told they should be as shiny as the center hub cap on the rear ones. Thoughts , experience, products any one care to offer?
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Yes - they are bare aluminum and need to be polished. There are lots of methods and products that can be used to polish the wheels. I use a combination of wheels cleaning chemicals and super fine 3M Scotch-Brite pads to get the brake dust off the front wheels. It's a lot of work and I only do it about twice a year.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I don't know what year they started putting them on but Airstream started using the Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels that supposedly don't need polishing. You can tell by the P/N which is stamped on the wheel and is visible on the outside rear dual. There will be DB at the end of the P/N.

The Alcoa website has cleaning instructions and it doesn't sound like they are clear-coated but somehow the alloy has something in it to prevent oxidation. You can also probably tell by using metal polish in a small area and if it comes off black on the rag, then they aren't Dura-Bright. But the P/N is the best way to tell.

Recommend checking the Alcoa website to be sure.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote