Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Muncie , Indiana
Shelter for our Interstate?

Living in Indiana where the winters can get nasty, and having no garage to store our AI in, I'm wondering if we should invest in some sort of a shelter, or car port, or cover. Any thoughts?
badmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
You could look at the FarmTek web site or catalog. Co. offers a lot of non permanent shelter ideas. I use some of their products to serve as a canopy over a wooden deck. FarmTek is a mid western co. that is popular with the farming community.
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
If you plan to keep it and like to keep it clean and out of weather, I would.

We keep ours in a warehouse and out of the weather.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine sat outside for the five years and it was no worse for wear. I did keep it clean and waxed.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Muncie , Indiana
Cover?

I'm also considering a RV cover since this may be cheaper solution and not cause problems with my neighborhood association - any one else tried a cover?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
I'm also considering a RV cover since this may be cheaper solution and not cause problems with my neighborhood association - any one else tried a cover?
RV covers for a paint finish outside in the elements is a bad idea. They can tend to flap around in wind causing abrasions in the paint. Also they repel water, but may also trap moisture under the cover.

If you can find someone with storage to rent or a RV temporary shelter I would leave it outside and give it a good coat of wax.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It has been mentioned on other threads that covers can result in paint scratching and can do more harm than good. In my area (subtropics), I would worry about covers retaining moisture.

If I were in an unrestricted area and I didn't want (or couldn't have) an integrated (attached) garage for our Interstate, I think I'd investigate the possibility of a quonset hut. They look cool and they'd be efficient for a tall vehicle, I think.

I have no idea what the various options might cost, and that would be instructive to know. We pay $135 per month to rent this storage unit, and that includes electricity. It would be interesting to compare longer term costs of rental against costs of construction (from fabric car port type structures to permanent structures).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_GARAGED.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	271859  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We pay $135 per month to rent this storage unit, and that includes electricity. It would be interesting to compare longer term costs of rental against costs of construction (from fabric car port type structures to permanent structures).

Wow, that's a GREAT price. Around here, a 10x30 storage unit that I can drive into would be nearly 4x that. I would have to store it up to 1hr away to find something cheaper, but it would still be at least 2x your price, so for now, my rig is staying in a local outdoor lot that's secure and I'll keep taking advantage of our sunshine to keep the batteries charged (although that's becoming a bit of an issue, which I'll cover in my "crazy idea" thread, because I can already see that I'm going to need to add a dedicated charger for the chassis battery).

If I can figure out a way to "semi-permanently" reduce the angle between my driveway and the courtyard in front of my house so the AI's tail won't scrape, I'll keep it at home and just plug it into my 30A service that I put in for our Chevy Volt (which only draws 12A on the 'max' setting, so there's plenty left to keep the AI's house and chassis batteries topped up). Maybe I can lay some 2x4s, 2x6's, and/or plywood on the ground to "fill the 'V'" enough to drive her up to my garage.....we'll see. But whether at home or at the storage lot, mine will live outdoors so I'm going to do the same thing Shark does and just keep her good and waxed to protect the paint.

Oh, and regarding covers.....as others have mentioned, don't do it. Even the "breathable" materials that theoretically won't trap moisture will still rub the paint over time and cause abrasions, no matter how well you think you have it tied/staked down. DAMHIK....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Living in Indiana where the winters can get nasty, and having no garage to store our AI in, I'm wondering if we should invest in some sort of a shelter, or car port, or cover. Any thoughts?
I guess I'm pretty fortunate as I have a 14' x 60' carport attached to our modular home. I have room for the AI + 2 cars and 2 motorcycles. I have a 20amp plug to keep the batteries topped off as well as a dump station. The down side is the carport is open at both ends so the vehicles do tend to get very dusty after a period of time, but not as bad as road dirt. The fully enclosed storage is the optimum solution if it is achievable.

I did have a cover for one previous rv and after one time, I quit using it as it was a major hassle to put on (that was a class A). I also agree that the cover can ablade the paint finish if you get much wind. I would go with a good coat of wax instead of a cover.

Good luck in finding a solution.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Talking

We (along w scores of others) have our FC stored in an airplane hanger on decommissioned McClellan AFB here in Sacramento, CA. $127/mo. Indoor & secure w personalized service getting it in & out & 10 min from home. So lucky.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474248038.688961.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	271965

We are fortunate to live on an acreage that allowed us room to construct a 30' x 40' shed with 13' ceiling and 11' door. The size is perfect for our coach and assorted other items as well as room to work on our rig.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Muncie , Indiana
Now about that waxing...

It sounds like a cover is not the best answer - I have yet to hear any positive user reviews about them. I used to cover my Miata, but it appeared to do more harm than good so I should have known better.

I had a drive installed right beside my house where I now park the AI. I also have a 30amp service and water there where it's plugged in. I like looking out the window to see it, having it seen by my security cams, and the convenience of having it just a few steps from the back doors for loading and unloading.

Now about that waxing. Being a short man - I need to get well up on a 8ft/ ladder to reach the roof line. I'm afraid to get ON the roof, since it is so crowded with AC stuff, Solar, Awning, Vents, and various Antennae - and every one of those items are connected to the roof with the usual "goop" around the parts that penetrate the roof. I guess I'm wondering how to weatherize it appropriately. If I walk on the roof, I"m afraid I'll comprise some of those factory seals. Do think I'll be O.k. walking around on it?

Growing up on a farm, I do miss having the room for a shed or barn (Kwills25 your space is beautiful), but I've sold the farm and now live in a fairly tight housing area since it's only a 10 minute walk to my office at work.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow Kwils, that's our dream. Very nice.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. Now that I've seen the ultimate Airstream parking garage, I have to wipe the drool off the phone....🙃😅

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Wow Kwils, that's our dream. Very nice.

+1

He even has the deluxe K9 security system..... [emoji3]
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Love the dog. Our little pack defends their silver doghouse like our home.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Use a good wax and you'll be fine. That vehicle was made for the weather.
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Do think I'll be O.k. walking around on it?
While I never "walked" on mine, I did crawl on hands and knees. When I worked on the Maxx Fan, I laid a moving blanket down to protect the paint. I think you could actually walk on the roof w/o damaging it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Now about that waxing. Being a short man - I need to get well up on a 8ft/ ladder to reach the roof line. I'm afraid to get ON the roof, since it is so crowded with AC stuff, Solar, Awning, Vents, and various Antennae - and every one of those items are connected to the roof with the usual "goop" around the parts that penetrate the roof. I guess I'm wondering how to weatherize it appropriately. If I walk on the roof, I"m afraid I'll comprise some of those factory seals. Do think I'll be O.k. walking around on it?
The Sprinter high-roof van is rated for a 300-pound load— with the vehicle in motion. Most of that is taken up with hardware installed up there. But fortunately for you, you'll be accessing the roof when the vehicle is not in motion. The rating is mostly for rollover-protection, not load-bearing. Keep your feet spread to spread your weight, and you should do fine.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post

We are fortunate to live on an acreage that allowed us room to construct a 30' x 40' shed with 13' ceiling and 11' door. The size is perfect for our coach and assorted other items as well as room to work on our rig.
THAT is a thing of beauty. My husband is going to be overcome with remorse that we are not yet in a position to build something similar.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote