Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #21
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We had a carport constructed at our farm, and keep our AS there. We were paying for covered storage in the St Louis area, and in saving that $$, we will quickly pay for getting the carport built. It does a great job of keeping our trailer clean and protected. We kept it outside the first few years, but we
I've in the woods, and found the daily barrage of, tree flowers, acorns, sap, and leaves was more than I wanted to deal with.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post

...Do think I'll be O.k. walking around on it?

At this point in our social evolution, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer, because of the wide spread in physical fitness levels in the general population. People who are active and situationally aware should do fine. People who are less active maybe should think carefully about their approach. I do yoga and I've had moments where I've been very thankful for that, because I've had to contort myself around the roof a/c or some other appurtenance, in order to complete the task in front of me (even moreso while working under rather than on top of our Interstate). I tend not to walk so much as scoot around the roof in a variety of sitting postures, which are aided tremendously by core strength and flexible hamstrings.

The height from which 50% of falls are fatal is approximately 11 feet. That's something to keep firmly in mind, because if you decide to do Interstate roof work and you screw up your situational awareness, you might not get a second shot at it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
We had a carport constructed at our farm, and keep our AS there. We were paying for covered storage in the St Louis area, and in saving that $$, we will quickly pay for getting the carport built. It does a great job of keeping our trailer clean and protected. We kept it outside the first few years, but we
I've in the woods, and found the daily barrage of, tree flowers, acorns, sap, and leaves was more than I wanted to deal with.
How tall is your carport?
SteveandSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #24
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We bought it from a "Carolina Carport" dealer. They seem to be everywhere. We had ours built way too tall, in case we ever want to do anything different. (So I have 6-8' extra clearance. They come in any height, you set it up as you place the order, along with what style, color,mets..)
We are happy with it. It looks fine, and is holding up very well. It sits next to a metal barn on the farm, so we matched the existing colors of the barn.
I'll see if I have a picture.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #25
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Old pic. We've since had the sides brought down another 4'.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474370710.679208.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	272027

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Muncie , Indiana
The roof is so crowded, I'll probably need to work from the sides.
Attached Images

badmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
RV covers for a paint finish outside in the elements is a bad idea. They can tend to flap around in wind causing abrasions in the paint. Also they repel water, but may also trap moisture under the cover.
This being a view widely held, if an owner still believed that they wanted one for limited use in specific instances (e.g., being a northerner, a sleet storm comes to my mind), there's a pretty good deal on a lightly-used cover being offered by a 2016 Airstream Interstate owner on eBay right now, just FYI.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The problem with these covers, and any precip that freezes, is that the water pools and freezes on the roof, making it very difficult to get the cover off until you have a full thaw.

Ask me how I know this....

Maggie