Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Shakedown Cruise

We just returned from our "shakedown" cruise with our 2013 AI Ext. 2200 miles to Austin Tx and back to east Tn. I am truly impressed with the handling of the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. It handled 14+mph crosswinds and truck turbulence with minimal effort. It did require attention, but not worriesome.
We did uncover a couple of "bugs" for the service guys at the AI dealer, but nothing that left us on the side of the road. Has a nuisance problem with the CO detector...no CO just kept going off. Yes, I changed the battery and all the stuff in the manual, but no luck. I wound up unplugging it for the last 50 miles of the trip. It would go off while sitting in the driveway, with nothing running. I did manage to get it to reset ONCE, but no more. I was about 50 miles from home, driving up I-75, when my serenity was disturbed by that "sound" again. ARGHHH
One of the pleated window shades also fell into my hands this morning. I gotta figure this one out....this is the second time it happened. Either I am doing something wrong, or it is a delicate piece....
All-in-all...it was a great trip and we both love driving the "B".
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
One of the pleated window shades also fell into my hands this morning. I gotta figure this one out....this is the second time it happened. Either I am doing something wrong, or it is a delicate piece....
They're not that delicate. If they were, my ham-fisted opening and closing of them would have broken something by now in mine. You can adjust the tension on the blinds by loosening or tightening the vertical strings.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I had to tighten the cords on several of mine so they would hold their position better.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I had to tighten the cords on several of mine so they would hold their position better.

+1 here too
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I think they are too delicate. Two of mine have broken cords after only 10 months of use. But they are fairly easy to repair. I've been installing one size thicker cord when I do the repairs.

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Before I start to take anything apart.....anyone have a tip on how to work on the window shades. My problem shade it on the back door....and it appears I do have to tighten one of the side shades as well.
THought I would ask before diving in and possibly breaking something.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Ok....I found the clips, removed the shade. The cord is broken......#@%$

Will see what I can do about replacing the cord, and figuring out the adjustment.

When we went to pick the van, the other rear door had a broken shade. They repaired it before we drove away. They would do this one too, but it is about time I figured this stuff out. If it broke in the middle of Arizona I would have to do it. Kinda heading that way with most repair thoughts (within reason).
Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
For what it's worth, the rear shades have the adjustment spool at the top of the shade. At least that's the way it's done on mine. Not sure why they installed the rear shades upside down with respect to the side shades.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
For what it's worth, the rear shades have the adjustment spool at the top of the shade. At least that's the way it's done on mine. Not sure why they installed the rear shades upside down with respect to the side shades.
Mine are the same and I've wondered why? Maybe because they are on back windows and when they break the shades are retracted for visibility out the rear windows. But the AIs have a rear view camera so it is a mute point.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Mine are the same and I've wondered why? Maybe because they are on back windows and when they break the shades are retracted for visibility out the rear windows. But the AIs have a rear view camera so it is a mute point.
Even without rearview cameras, visibility out through the rear windows is not essential. Delivery vans have no rear windows to begin with, but delivery drivers handle them just fine by using the side mirrors.

I'm at a loss to explain why those blinds are upside down as well.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
We just returned from our "shakedown" cruise with our 2013 AI Ext. 2200 miles to Austin Tx and back to east Tn. I am truly impressed with the handling of the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. It handled 14+mph crosswinds and truck turbulence with minimal effort. It did require attention, but not worriesome.
We did uncover a couple of "bugs" for the service guys at the AI dealer, but nothing that left us on the side of the road. Has a nuisance problem with the CO detector...no CO just kept going off. Yes, I changed the battery and all the stuff in the manual, but no luck. I wound up unplugging it for the last 50 miles of the trip. It would go off while sitting in the driveway, with nothing running. I did manage to get it to reset ONCE, but no more. I was about 50 miles from home, driving up I-75, when my serenity was disturbed by that "sound" again. ARGHHH
All-in-all...it was a great trip and we both love driving the "B".
We had the same problem with our CO alarm in our 2014 EXT the thing would go off randomly even sitting in the driveway static after a week. The alarm manufacturer acknowledged it was defective; Airstream to cover under warranty. I see we're not the only ones with a shady problem, but what a pain they can be to adjust.
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
... Has a nuisance problem with the CO detector...no CO just kept going off. Yes, I changed the battery and all the stuff in the manual, but no luck. I wound up unplugging it for the last 50 miles of the trip. It would go off while sitting in the driveway, with nothing running. I did manage to get it to reset ONCE, but no more. I was about 50 miles from home, driving up I-75, when my serenity was disturbed by that "sound" again. ARGHHH ...
I also had to get a new CO alarm after 14 months. Manufacturer only covers failure within one year. But Airstream covered it under their warranty.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Well...I replaced the cord with a slightly heavier weight. Not sure how long it will last. The hole in the center-bar has no grommet and the cord drags across th edge of the hole when you raise or lower the shade. It is where the old cord was "broken" or cut. At least the next time I replace it, I will know what to do. Also learning how age has crept up hands that used to be rock-steady.....$&%# In the meantime, I will look for a tiny grommet for those 2 holes.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I also had to get a new CO alarm after 14 months. Manufacturer only covers failure within one year. But Airstream covered it under their warranty.
My CO alarm failed and was replaced within a week after taking delivery of our 2013 AI. Its replacement failed last week 11½ months later. FWIW that alarm is loud, the AI was parked outside in the driveway and it woke me out of a sound sleep on the other side of my house!

The dealer's parts department reported CO alarm life spans ranging from less than a month (like my first) to 3 or 4 years with the average being closer to 1½ years. FWIW my cost from the Airstream dealer was less than half the cost of buying it direct from the alarm manufacturer.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Now I'm worried as I just replaced the battery in mine and it's 3.5 years old. On borrowed time.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
On a related note - I had to replace one CO Alarm in my townhouse after two years. It was warrantied for 5 years so I got free replacement from manufacturer.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #17

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Now I'm worried as I just replaced the battery in mine and it's 3.5 years old. On borrowed time.
Speaking of replacing the battery reminded me of something I just learned. You should first disconnect the CO detector's 12V connection to the house battery and only then remove and replace the 9V internal battery. Otherwise you risk blowing the CO detector, which is probably what I did that necessitated replacing the CO alarm. It all started with a low battery alarm but switched to a "replace detector" alarm after I changed out the 9V battery without disconnecting the 12V line.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
As a matter of fact...I may have done the same thing to mine. Did not notice the disconnect warning until afterward.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
When I replaced my battery, I just removed the smoke/CO detector from the ceiling bracket. Then after a lot of cussing, managed to get the battery out and replaced. Didn't see any 12 VDC connection. No wires or other connection.

Sounds like the smoke/CO detector is different in the later models.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My CO detector is wired to feed from both chassis and coach batteries, with the 9volt battery as a backup. Fortunately, there is a connector at which I was able to remove the assembly. My smoke detector is separate. I have a 2013 Interstate Ext on a 2012 chassis.