Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Sewer adapter size for Interstate

I don't mean to double dip, since I've already posted this question in another forum,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...es-185237.html

but my question may be peculiar to the Interstate so I'm posting it here also. I'm looking for an adapter for the Interstate macerator system that allows it to screw in to a smaller sewer port (3.5 inches?). My system came only with a small adapter (home takeout size) and a 4 inch adapter that fits most park drains, but some parks seem to have a slightly smaller sewer pipe. Am I missing something?

TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing something— a tapered black rubber donut that fits over the 3" fitting to allow you to insert it into any sewer hookup that's in between 3" and 4" diameter.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Sewer adapter size for Interstate

My 2013 came with three adapters. One 4" pipe cap another that I think is 3" pipe cap and a black rubber doughnut with tapered sides to mate with non threaded dump pipes. The 4" and 3" adapters are nothing special. They are just standard white PVC threaded caps that you can get at any Lowes or Home Depot. Then drill a hole in center (about 1.5") to accept the macerator end fitting. If you don't have a drill big enough just mark the required size and drill small holes around perimeter of marked hole size and smooth edges with a half-round file.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

What he ^ said
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Thanks for preceding several responses. I have the rubber doughnut but am looking for a threaded adapter that goes into the 3.5" pipe shown in the the photo. I would rather not trust the doughnut if there is a threaded alternative.

But maybe I'm just not using the doughnut correctly. What's the technique? Wedge the small end into the pipe? Then wedge the 3" macerator adapter into the big end? Is that stable enough?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Ah, I did manage to find this one: https://amzn.to/2LYrHJL
I'll try the drill-out fix suggested by Boxster.

I'm surprised I seem to be the only one worrying with this problem. Should I just go with the rubber doughnut for the occasional odd-size?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Waste not

I have all the adapters, but I never use them.
Is that normal?

I've never had a problem with just putting the angled hose end in any inlet and closing the lid or weighting down with a rock.

Of course this is pump dump and go. I've never considered a semi permanent hook up.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....iL._SX425_.jpg
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Tayara Travel, I had the same problem once. I just put a nearby rock on top of the ell to hold it in place when I pumped out. I don't keep the sewer hose hooked up so this worked for me. If there was more room in the hose compartment I would get the plug you located.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Much of the time we "dump and go" in which case there is no issue. Sometimes I like to screw in when we arrive, dump, leave it connected, then dump again on departure. So I'd like the hook up option.

This is not a big deal, but I was wondering if there was an obvious fix I am missing.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I’ve noticed that many campgrounds tend to have a convenient rock right by the sewer connection. Coincidence, I think not!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
Is that normal?

I've never had a problem with just putting the angled hose end in any inlet and closing the lid or weighting down with a rock.

Of course this is pump dump and go. I've never considered a semi permanent hook up.
I do the same most of the time. But if there is no rock and the pipe has threads I'll often use them just to be sure I don't spill any sewage.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Is that normal?

I've stayed at a few commercial campgrounds (but only for rallies) where the sites are so close together that my sewer hookup was under my neighbor's awning, and my neighbor on the other side had his sewer hookup under my awning. In situations like that, properly sealing the discharge hose to the sewer hookup is not only mandated by the campground, but also essential for controlling odors.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've stayed at a few commercial campgrounds (but only for rallies) where the sites are so close together that my sewer hookup was under my neighbor's awning, and my neighbor on the other side had his sewer hookup under my awning. In situations like that, properly sealing the discharge hose to the sewer hookup is not only mandated by the campground, but also essential for controlling odors.
Actually that's not normally mandated by the campgrounds, the campgrounds are usually just relaying their state health department's mandate.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:05 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
sites are so close together that my sewer hookup was under my neighbor's awning, and my neighbor on the other side had his sewer hookup under my awning.
It's funny that you say that. The third place I stayed in my still young RV career is a place we still call "Stinky Lake"

I now avoid "full service" sites if I can, opting for EW or electric only if available. Of course we are travelers, not full-timers or long term campers.

I don't mind using the communal dump station every few days...most are very well maintained. Much better for me than having a live sewer outside my window.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
It's funny that you say that. The third place I stayed in my still young RV career is a place we still call "Stinky Lake"

I now avoid "full service" sites if I can, opting for EW or electric only if available. Of course we are travelers, not full-timers or long term campers.

I don't mind using the communal dump station every few days...most are very well maintained. Much better for me than having a live sewer outside my window.
To me it's actually seems a bit strange that this is a rare opinion.

Kind of the way a lot of non-RV people try to avoid public restrooms if they can (especially men when they need to take a seat). Yet many RV people get up in the middle of the night get dressed (or go out in public in PJs) go past their private bathroom walk a couple hundred yards to use a public restroom.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:15 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Quaker Hill , Connecticut
No, but without a rock that is contoured to fit over the cap, I find that I need to hold it down but my arms or legs are not long enough to hold its down and then flip the pump switch ��
CarolC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolC View Post
No, but without a rock that is contoured to fit over the cap, I find that I need to hold it down but my arms or legs are not long enough to hold its down and then flip the pump switch ��
what works fine for me is put the out take of the macerator hose through the rubber doughnut and then screw the smaller sewer cap on. I am then able to jam the doughnut securely into an open sewer drain, and run the macerator. Even though the hose thrashes around during the dump, the doughnut and out take remain securely in place. It is not a vapor seal, but I don't have to find a rock or keep my foot on it.