Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 562
Thanks guys. I am still stomped that the Magnum monitor would say it was in float mode but upon removal of the AC power, the radio would not turn on. Surely after two hours of driving the Magnum display was telling the truth and that there would have been sufficient power to drive the radio. I measured the house battery voltage and I think it was 12.7 or some voltage like that.

The schematic for the Airstream does show the power connection to main chassis. And mercedes documentation talks about a combiner for the Aux and Chassis battery. Wonder if the the Aux battery saved my bacon by being the only battery still alive after this debacle???
__________________

__________________
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If you removed the Airstream installed solenoid and replaced it with a solid state relay you might have a problem with dealer. They will claim you modified the system and caused all the problems.
They can try

I already have a deep apology from the General Manager of the place and my salesman (who forwarded my email to him). So I don't think this is a problematic case given what happened.
__________________

__________________
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,037
Service snafu $&!&& and which battery is which

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Thanks guys. I am still stomped that the Magnum monitor would say it was in float mode but upon removal of the AC power, the radio would not turn on. Surely after two hours of driving the Magnum display was telling the truth and that there would have been sufficient power to drive the radio. I measured the house battery voltage and I think it was 12.7 or some voltage like that.

The schematic for the Airstream does show the power connection to main chassis. And mercedes documentation talks about a combiner for the Aux and Chassis battery. Wonder if the the Aux battery saved my bacon by being the only battery still alive after this debacle???

The battery capacity may have been depleted but the Magnum will still do its best and go through its phases ending in float.
Regarding the radio, what is the position of the battery disconnect switch when the Kenwood isn't working and you think it should be?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Thanks guys. I am still stomped that the Magnum monitor would say it was in float mode but upon removal of the AC power, the radio would not turn on. Surely after two hours of driving the Magnum display was telling the truth and that there would have been sufficient power to drive the radio. I measured the house battery voltage and I think it was 12.7 or some voltage like that.

The schematic for the Airstream does show the power connection to main chassis. And mercedes documentation talks about a combiner for the Aux and Chassis battery. Wonder if the the Aux battery saved my bacon by being the only battery still alive after this debacle???
amirm,

Did you have any other charging source for your house batteries at the time the monitor read float charge? If you had the engine on and the batteries were depleted, the charge from your engine alternator thru the BIM would have caused the magnum to go to float charge, as it would have seen this alternator charge as full batteries. An operational, decent solar charging system would have shown the same results on the Magnum.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The battery capacity may have been depleted but the Magnum will still do its best and go through its phases ending in float.
Regarding the radio, what is the position of the battery disconnect switch when the Kenwood isn't working and you think it should be?
Thanks for pushing me on this . My thought that the radio was only powered by the chassis batteries had led me down the wrong path.

I think the radio was going off when I had the DC switch disconnected. That also blanks the battery monitor AUX reading. I somehow associated these with the Mercedes batteries and not house.

Translating into English , the only thing that seems to have gone wrong here is the house batteries drained completely. The rest was my brain also drained completely, thinking another battery was killed.

The last thing that remains now is why the solid state switch is latched on. Will troubleshoot that now. Would be sad if it does that if the battery voltage goes too low.

Thank you all. As I get ready to re-do all of this for Lithium system, this has given me more insight into how everything is wired.
__________________
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
amirm,

Did you have any other charging source for your house batteries at the time the monitor read float charge? If you had the engine on and the batteries were depleted, the charge from your engine alternator thru the BIM would have caused the magnum to go to float charge, as it would have seen this alternator charge as full batteries. An operational, decent solar charging system would have shown the same results on the Magnum.
Yes, the stock airstream solar was on and it was sunny. Usually I see it back off when Magnum is running. I think in this case float was right in that I have measured the alternator pump more than 100 amps into the house batteries. Over the 2 hour drive, that should have finished bulk charging and the voltage was high enough for the Magnum to just go into float.
__________________
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Yes, the stock airstream solar was on and it was sunny. Usually I see it back off when Magnum is running. I think in this case float was right in that I have measured the alternator pump more than 100 amps into the house batteries. Over the 2 hour drive, that should have finished bulk charging and the voltage was high enough for the Magnum to just go into float.
The 100 amp alternator charge is easily attainable, given that Airstream used (wisely) 1/0 cable from the alternator/chassis battery to the house batteries.

BTW, we are testing a Victron component from their marine selection that will allow for proper alternator charging of an auxiliary (house) battery bank that is lithium compatible.

I'll keep you posted on that one.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The 100 amp alternator charge is easily attainable, given that Airstream used (wisely) 1/0 cable from the alternator/chassis battery to the house batteries.



BTW, we are testing a Victron component from their marine selection that will allow for proper alternator charging of an auxiliary (house) battery bank that is lithium compatible.



I'll keep you posted on that one.

Unfortunately Airstream didn't switch to the 1/0 cable until about 2014 or 2015. My 2013 has a meager 4 AWG cable between the batteries.


- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The 100 amp alternator charge is easily attainable, given that Airstream used (wisely) 1/0 cable from the alternator/chassis battery to the house batteries.
Yes, it has been one of the most pleasant surprises. Engine charging is at the cornerstone of my Lithium conversion.

Quote:
BTW, we are testing a Victron component from their marine selection that will allow for proper alternator charging of an auxiliary (house) battery bank that is lithium compatible.

I'll keep you posted on that one.
Please do. I have a Sterling battery to battery dc-to-dc converter which current limiting which solves the strain on the alternator problem. But otherwise, it is very poorly implemented, not even allowing customization of charging parameters! The canned Lithium setting will likely cook the batteries and needs secondary limiting.

I hope Victron does a better job. It is remarkable that there is not one good Lithium charger on the market for mobile industry. They still try to shoehorn their lead acid chargers into this application which just doesn't work. They need to look at current draw in addition to voltage and have a single stage method that charges and then stops. It also needs secondary control for safety, allowing BMS to instruct it to curtail or shut down current.
__________________
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,256
One of the frequent posters on the Sprinter forum (Graphite Dave) uses a unique method to ensure the house batteries always get a proper charge off the alternator. He uses an inverter tied directly to the alternator/chassis battery which provides 120VAC for various uses while driving including powering a Magnum inverter/charger which can be programmed for a proper charge profile. There are some additional loses doing this but they are insignificant to the vans engine and alternator.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22415


- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,340
Mike did you now that he is now building a new Ford Transit RV, and has a site documenting the build?

http://www.ortontransit.info/

Solar system: http://www.ortontransit.info/solar.php

I don't see anything specific about the inverter off-hand, but his thread here has info. on that IMO:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/c...orton-diy.html

Cheers,

Peter
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Mike did you now that he is now building a new Ford Transit RV, and has a site documenting the build? ......

Cheers,

Peter

Yes - I was aware of his switch to a Transit. He still posts a lot on the Sprinter- Forum.


- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
__________________

__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service A and Service B nesoutlook Sprinter and B-van Forum 17 12-14-2015 09:36 AM
Getting warranty service (or any service) at an Airstream dealer SeaLevel General Repair Forum 35 11-30-2015 09:01 AM
Our first winter "snafu" ...... truxpin Winter Living 9 12-08-2013 08:15 AM
Winterizing snafu - low point drain valve on FW tank stripped and won't opem bonginator Fresh Water Systems 12 09-29-2013 03:22 PM
AS Parts SNAFU! Turtle Windows & Screens 1 10-02-2005 07:43 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.