Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Me too . Mine will arrive in a week or so and then I can test.

I looked everywhere but could not find the DC on resistance. That loss worries me some. The FET switches should have low resistance but that large heatsink tells me it will draw some power. Did you see that spec on their sheet and somehow I missed it?

Right now I am running on stock system and the Micro is not on the inverter.
If I remember correctly the ON current draw is maybe 60 miliamps and the resistance is about .0023 ohms. (Based on the published voltage drop at 150A.) The resistance only becomes an issue with the inverter maxed when the microwave is in use but that isn't the kind of thing that runs for hours at a time.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #82
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
If your unit has the Magnum battery temperature sensor make sure you get the "6" conductor coupler as instructed in the installation guide. Otherwise it will not work. I had to do some running around to find a coupler with all "6" conductors
Where did you get the spec. for a 6 conductor coupler? All of Magnum's cables, whether for the temperature sensors, network communication cables or data cables from the inverters to the remotes use 4 conductor cables with 4 conductor RJ-11 plugs at the terminations. I shorten these cables on a daily basis and have never seen Magnum use a 6 conductor cable or termination plug.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Where did you get the spec. for a 6 conductor coupler? All of Magnum's cables, whether for the temperature sensors, network communication cables or data cables from the inverters to the remotes use 4 conductor cables with 4 conductor RJ-11 plugs at the terminations. I shorten these cables on a daily basis and have never seen Magnum use a 6 conductor cable or termination plug.

The DC Disconnect cable is 6 conductor and the instruction manual that came with it emphasis the coupler to be 6 conductor. You are correct on the temp sensor and remote being four conductor.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #84
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Mm-dcld

The control signal for the MM-DCLD is 12VDC/OPEN. Magnum is probably using one of the two, usually not present, outside conductors in the 6-conductor jacks/plugs. I found the 6-conductor splitter on Amazon for about $5.

I have to wonder why Airstream took the nuclear option of a relay that needs to conduct ALL of the current to the inverter as opposed to using the MM-DCLD to turn it on and off. Does anyone have any insight into that?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
The DC Disconnect cable is 6 conductor and the instruction manual that came with it emphasis the coupler to be 6 conductor. You are correct on the temp sensor and remote being four conductor.

There are three telephone connectors that will fit in this size port, RJ-11, RJ-14 and RJ-25.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
The control signal for the MM-DCLD is 12VDC/OPEN. Magnum is probably using one of the two, usually not present, outside conductors in the 6-conductor jacks/plugs. I found the 6-conductor splitter on Amazon for about $5.

I have to wonder why Airstream took the nuclear option of a relay that needs to conduct ALL of the current to the inverter as opposed to using the MM-DCLD to turn it on and off. Does anyone have any insight into that?

Lack of real engineering talent. A simple call to their supplier, Magnum Energy could have solved their problem of Inverter/Charger parasitic load. Magnum has had this DCLD device around for some time, it's not a new item.

- - Mike
Old 06-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #87
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:

Ahhhhh, the DCLD. I never use them as I always use a Blue Sea Systems M-Series disconnect switch in all of my inverter installations.

Ya learn something new every day!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Ahhhhh, the DCLD. I never use them as I always use a Blue Sea Systems M-Series disconnect switch in all of my inverter installations.
Yes your solution is best when you want a complete disconnect. In fact my two T24s on the bench have maintained over 13 volts for a week sitting on the bench. The DCLD is a good compromise when out and about, just hit the Main disconnect and and you are conserving. For long-term your solution is far more appropriate.

I'm studying the GBS Lithium really hard and the silicon heaters. Once I get a design I'm satisfied taking the risk on I'm in. My design criteria is the Batteries need to be under the coach. I do not want to give up space in the Coach. The 300 Watts solar and 320 AH will get a work-out 23 June - 12 July so I will report. I'll either be set or have 4 24Ts for sale
Old 06-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I'm studying the GBS Lithium really hard and the silicon heaters. Once I get a design I'm satisfied taking the risk on I'm in. My design criteria is the Batteries need to be under the coach. I do not want to give up space in the Coach. The 300 Watts solar and 320 AH will get a work-out 23 June - 12 July so I will report. I'll either be set or have 4 24Ts for sale
Since you mentioned it, I'll start a thread this weekend to share the direction I'm headded.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Service Bulletin 164 - Battery Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Since you mentioned it, I'll start a thread this weekend to share the direction I'm headded.

Great - looking forward to learn more about your project.

- - Mike
Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tampa , Florida
Has anyone thought about installing a toggle switch on the DCLD easily accessible inside the cabin? There are lots of times the inverter may not be needed, but the 12v would. This would save .4 amps and still permit use of most things. The DCLD wiring schematic shows an ignition switch. This could be a toggle switch or even a separate breaker on the 12v panel.
jim.waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.waters View Post
Has anyone thought about installing a toggle switch on the DCLD easily accessible inside the cabin? There are lots of times the inverter may not be needed, but the 12v would. This would save .4 amps and still permit use of most things. The DCLD wiring schematic shows an ignition switch. This could be a toggle switch or even a separate breaker on the 12v panel.

You don't need to. You can turn the inverter off from the Magnum remote without shutting down the 12 v system. The DCLD just avoids the mistake of leaving the inverter on when you mean to have the House in a minimum usage state.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

Jim - that's what I plan to do once I get my DCLD and make a few measurements to see if it will save enough to have it on its own switch. I have a total disconnect switch now and was planning to add a second switch to just provide other DC loads without powering the Inverter. The DCLD may be a simpler solution for what I have in mind.

- - Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 01:51 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tampa , Florida
Mike,

Have you thought about what kind of switch and where to put it?

Jim
jim.waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Mike,

Have you thought about what kind of switch and where to put it?

Jim

It looks like the DCLD is a low current device so any simple toggle switch would work. The Magnum installation manual for the DCLD only requires a 5 amp fuse. I'll have to take some measurements once I get my DCLD. I'd like to mount it on the main control panel in the rear curbside overhead where I have all my other controls.

- - Mike
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
Sorry to take this thread back to near the beginning, but I just had SB 164 done (before reading all the cautions), and I'm concerned because I'm leaving on a trip where I expect to boondock for a few days and I don't have time to undo anything. I read a post which said that I could pull the fuse for the inverter when it's not being used. Is this advised? And which fuse is it? I see the top slot labeled EMS, so that's my best guess. And if the fuse is pulled, will the fridge and other DC loads still work on my '15 IS? Thanks for any information. The dealer is useless for any help.
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
You have to disable the relay to save that power. Removing the fuse won't help with that as that relay is in the path of all of your electrical loads.

With the relay in place, and just the fridge and freezer running from 9:00pm on a fully charged battery, plus the fan for a few hours, I woke up at 6:30 with essentially dead batteries at 11.7 volts . Plan to take the relay out of the loop asap.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoy View Post
Sorry to take this thread back to near the beginning, but I just had SB 164 done (before reading all the cautions), and I'm concerned because I'm leaving on a trip where I expect to boondock for a few days and I don't have time to undo anything.

You can a quick and dirty job by lifting the jump seat, remove the white board//screen and join the red cables on the solenoid to one of the solenoid posts. Then remove the 5 amp fuse they installed. Should be the last one with a blue wire going to it. This will electrically remove the solenoid and return the system operation to the pre SB state. On your trip be sure to keep the inverter turned off unless you need it. You can turn this on and off from the Magnum RC in the overhead control panel. Also, keep your main gas relay turned off unless needed. This will cover you for overnights. You can see one of my photos in the thread where I did this. I went back later and completely removed the relay and extra cabling/wiring.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
^+1.

Just move both power cables to the same post.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
A really big Thank You to all for the advice. I assume that moving both red cables to the same post means that I'm essentially connecting them together using the solenoid simply as a buss bar to bind them together?
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote