Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Service A and Service B

I am at a Freightliner Service Center getting a right rear turn signal bulb replaced. Since I am here I asked the service advisor how much for a service B. He quoted $281.00. My service advisor over at Mercedes is quoting over a grand. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
nesoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Make sure they are using the correct, synthetic oil to start.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Find out what is included in the quoted price from Freightliner, and verify that it includes everything you want done under Service B.

Unless Freightliner as access to your maintenance manual, they may not know what is included. They handle a lot more engine types than just Mercedes turbo-diesels.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Service B varies substantially depending on mileage and vehicle age. Here is the list per Mercedes:

Maintenance Service A

Change oil and filter, replace with*synthetic oil.
Check interior/exterior lights, test horn and winshield wipe/wash functions.
Tighten door checks/lubricate door and hood hinges/catches.
Inspection tire condition, rotate if applicable. Check/adjust tire pressures and torque wheels.
Check and*correct levels of antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission and washer fluid.
Inspect condition of belts.
Inspect condition of all hoses.
inspect*condition of brake pads and brake rotors.
Inspection of vehicle for leaks: engine, transmission, steering, cooling, and differential.
Inspect exhaust system.
Road test vehicle.
Reset maintenance computer.

Maintenance Service B - All items under Service A, PLUS:

Check headlamp adjustment; correct if necessary.
Inspect seat belts for proper operation.
Replace wiper blades.
Replace*cabin dust filter.
Perform charging system and battery test.
Replace fuel filter with water sparator.
Test glow plugs.
Replace air cleaner element.
Adjust parking brake.
Check front axle and steering components.
Visually check vehicle underbody and driveline.
Brake Fluid Flush
Evacuate old brake fluid from reservoir.
Refill system with fresh brake fluid and pressure-bleed lines and calipers.
Recommended every other year.

Cooling System Service
Drain cooling system and refill system with fresh Mercedes-Benz Antifreeze / Anticorrosion agent, diluted with water to proper strength.
Pressure test cooling system and ck for leaks.
recommended every*3 years.

Rotate & Balance Tires
Perform computerized spin balance of all four wheels.
inspect tires for uneven wear and tire condition.*
Rotate tires upon re-installation.
Road test vehicle.

Transmission Service
Drain old fluid from transmission and oil pan.
Replace transmission oil filter and oil pan gasket.
Refill with Mercedes-Benz*synthetic*transmission fluid.
Flush torque converter.
Recommended every 30,000 miles.

Differential Service
Drain old lubricant and inspect for abnormal wear and metal shavings.
Refill with synthetic gear oil.
Recommended every 60,000 miles.

Computer Diagnostic Scan
Scan all vehicle systems for fault and event codes.
Provide printed documentation of results.

Air Conditioning Service
Recover all refrigerant in the system; record the weight of refrigerant removed.
Place system under vacuum to check its integrity and prepare for system recharge.
Refill system with factory specified quantity of refrigerant.
Test for proper operation.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
My vehicle has 16000 miles and will be 3 years old this June. What do I need?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
All of service A, plus initial list under B and brake fluid change out. If you believe your annual mileage will remain low in the coming year, then cooling system flush should also be done.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I really wasn't expecting anyone to respond so quickly. Thank you.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Mercedes dealer service charges are certainly high. I've had some experience with Mercedes automobiles, not with the diesel vans. Typical A and B service done at a dealer will run about 350 and 800 respectively (where I live). Normally you will end up with one of each annually if you drive an average of 20K miles per year.

It is not necessary to have the service schedules done at a Mercedes dealer. It is perfectly appropriate to have the work done at a GM dealer (etc), supplying your own oil (usually Mobil 1 true synthetic), miscellaneous lubricants, and filters (from NAPA) etc. This can save you significant dollars on the price charged by the Mercedes dealer. It is necessary however to abide by the schedules meticulously, and all work done must have good records. This is particularly important during the warranty period (and any period of purchased extended warranty).
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Can't Pass this Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesoutlook View Post
My vehicle has 16000 miles and will be 3 years old this June. What do I need?

To Get Out More!!!!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Mercedes dealer service charges are certainly high. I've had some experience with Mercedes automobiles, not with the diesel vans. Typical A and B service done at a dealer will run about 350 and 800 respectively (where I live). Normally you will end up with one of each annually if you drive an average of 20K miles per year.

It is not necessary to have the service schedules done at a Mercedes dealer. It is perfectly appropriate to have the work done at a GM dealer (etc), supplying your own oil (usually Mobil 1 true synthetic), miscellaneous lubricants, and filters (from NAPA) etc. This can save you significant dollars on the price charged by the Mercedes dealer. It is necessary however to abide by the schedules meticulously, and all work done must have good records. This is particularly important during the warranty period (and any period of purchased extended warranty).
Being an owner of an independent Mercedes/BMW/Mini Service center, I would be more inclined to find an independent to work on your Sprinter before I ever considered taking mine to a GM dealer. Most domestic dealer techs do not even have a basic set of metric tools. As far as supplying your own parts and lubricants, you should check-out what the shops policies are on that. For legal liability and warranty reasons our shop policy does not install or use customer supplied parts. I would seek out either factory parts or OEM supplier parts (Hengst/Mahle) over unknown repackaged parts from unknown origins. There are real fitment and quality differences. Think about it, why did you purchase a quality vehicle? To be safe, dependable and long lasting. Why cheap-out on filters and fluids. How much are you really saving? Granted, the M/B dealers are stupidly over priced but don't let that dissuade you from taking care of the vehicle utilizing the most knowledgeable techs who are trained and familiar with what they are doing, using the best/correct parts and fluids and proper diagnostic/programing computers, not P-Code readers. The days of non-specialized vehicle service and repair are long gone. Find yourself a qualified independent to work with you on maintaining your vehicle to keep your investment running properly and lasting a long time.
If you are in Alberta, you have a great independent friend of mine, Jerry Passman. Here is his website: http://www.albertaeuropeanmotorworks.ca
Your can not go wrong with Jerry.
Just my thoughts.
Road Jager
Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
RoadJager

Thanks for the info. I'll look up your associate Jerry.

Incidentally, I've always used the Hengst filters from NAPA.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
What is a reasonable price for Service A ?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post
To Get Out More!!!!
The OP may be employed. If that's the case, (s)he may have limited capacity in that respect.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesoutlook View Post
I am at a Freightliner Service Center getting a right rear turn signal bulb replaced. Since I am here I asked the service advisor how much for a service B. He quoted $281.00. My service advisor over at Mercedes is quoting over a grand. What am I missing?

This is about what routine service costs me at Peterbilt. The dealerships are ridiculously costly.

Tire dealerships will rotate and balance tires for free, if you purchase them there, and you can do this anywhere in the country.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Do I venture away from the dealer that had previously serviced the vehicle (Mercedes) and try the local Peterbilt or Freightliner (terrible reviews)?

We purchased a 2008 AI with 26K miles this past April. The previous owner had maintenance/service done at Mercedes of Greensboro...expensive! It will need brakes, tires and service soon. Are these vehicles common enough that most diesel centers can service them? Who is qualified to install the tires? I have the Alcoa rims and heard they are soft and damage easily when changing tires. I want to save $ but also want someone trustworthy.

On a side note, I have serviced my gas vehicles (filters, brakes, fluids, belts). This is my first diesel and would like to be as comfortable at routine service. I am learning a ton thanks to everyone here. My limitations are time...that thing called work takes most of it. Advice on self service?
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurl View Post
Do I venture away from the dealer that had previously serviced the vehicle (Mercedes) and try the local Peterbilt or Freightliner (terrible reviews)?

We purchased a 2008 AI with 26K miles this past April. The previous owner had maintenance/service done at Mercedes of Greensboro...expensive! It will need brakes, tires and service soon. Are these vehicles common enough that most diesel centers can service them? Who is qualified to install the tires? I have the Alcoa rims and heard they are soft and damage easily when changing tires. I want to save $ but also want someone trustworthy.

On a side note, I have serviced my gas vehicles (filters, brakes, fluids, belts). This is my first diesel and would like to be as comfortable at routine service. I am learning a ton thanks to everyone here. My limitations are time...that thing called work takes most of it. Advice on self service?

You could check around and see if there is an independent shop that has a history of servicing Sprinters. I wouldn't use anyone who has not done Sprinter serving in the past. Regarding tire servicing make sure the shop you use for new tires has the right equipment to balance the Sprinter 3500 wheels with the large center hole in the middle. It takes a special adapter on most balancing machines.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
I finally found an independent repair shop but they said they can't do the service for me 😑

Quote:
We do service sprinters, but a limited weight, wheelbase and height. Also being an “RV” if this has any ground effects/sideskirts, or door steps, we would not be able to accommodate it on our lift.

I do not know of any other independent repair shop that has the knowledge or tooling for the sprinters. I would recommend the dealer only at this point.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You could check around and see if there is an independent shop that has a history of servicing Sprinters. I wouldn't use anyone who has not done Sprinter serving in the past. Regarding tire servicing make sure the shop you use for new tires has the right equipment to balance the Sprinter 3500 wheels with the large center hole in the middle. It takes a special adapter on most balancing machines.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Thanks for the tips... especially the one on the tires. I did not know that. Looks like I will not have a "one stop shop" if I want to save a few bucks! I found a local certified MB shop but they were not comfortable with the tires and referred me back to the MB dealer.

k9jackie, Thanks for the head up on your experience. It may not be as easy as I had hoped.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote