Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Cool Security System

Looking for a quality security system for my 2014 Interstate ext. any input would be appreciated.
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
What sort of security situation do you have?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
What sort of security situation do you have?
Yeah....external
Or internal? Motion or door/window? Armed or passive?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Internal and external systems. Want to keep what we have worked for safe and secure. My background makes me a bit paranoid (retired law enforcement). Can't seem to get my salesman from Colonial to respond to my inquiry.
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate was burglarized less than sixteen hours after I brought it home for the first time. That's what I get for buying around the Christmas holiday and living in the big city.

I had already intended to install an alarm system; the thief just beat me to it. So, while the Interstate was in the shop installing a new Kenwood unit in the dashboard to replace the one that was stolen, I had a Viper alarm system installed. Not from any particular preference, merely that the company that installed the Kenwood unit for the Airstream dealer just happened to be an authorized Viper installer. It was just more conveninet to have the work all done at once.

The Viper system is modular; add the sensors you want. I got the tilt sensor, glass break sensor, motion sensor, backup battery module, backup siren module with its own battery. I did not get the proximity sensor, the remote start system, or the door sensor. Total price of the system, installed, was about the same as one annual insurance premium on the Interstate, or 1% of my actual purchase price.

I detest those proximity alarms that tell you "Please step away from the vehicle." I've set off too many of them myself, when a car with one parked alongside my car, and I was just going to my own car. Since I live in an apartment complex and there will be people parked alongside of my Interstate both at work and at home, the proximity sensor would always be giving off false alarms.

The door sensor wasn't actually available for 2011-and-later Sprinters at the time I bought the system, so I didn't have a choice. But when it came available later, I still didn't get it. Even if I was to accidentally leave the Interstate unlocked when I parked it, the motion sensor would still go off when a door is opened, even without the door sensors. I know because I tried it to make sure.

And I have no use for a remote start system. Having never had a vehicle with remote start, and not being paranoid enough to think anyone would wire a bomb to the ignition switch, it seemed like overkill. It also doesn't get cold enough here on the Gulf coast that I'd have to worry about getting frostbite while waiting for the interior to warm up after starting it, either.

I've only had a couple of false alarms during thunderstorms, and those were on occasions where lightning struck so close that everybody's alarms went off.

There is one drawback to the system. It will suck down the chassis battery in about two weeks if you don't start the engine from time to time to recharge. One reason why I drive my Interstate to work about once a week when I don't have any camping trips planned. If your Interstate has the auxiliary chassis battery under the hood (mine doesn't) make sure the alarm system is wired into that auxiliary battery, not the main battery in the driver's ide footwell.

Next time the local AAA office does VIN etching, I plan to take my Interstate in to get all of the the glass etched with the VIN. This will give me a slight break on my insurance premium.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tallahassee , Florida
We installed an Avital 3300L alarm system with a 2-way communicator. The system was connected to the chassis data bus using a Nexgen Xpresskit module.

It is a great system because the alarm is integrated into the door lock system and ignition system without any modifications to the Mercedes wiring. In addition, the OEM wireless remotes also continue to work.

The only down side to the system is the need to make sure that the 2-way LCD remote has fresh batteries.
btouchstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Hello, we sent you a message to your regular email address yesterday afternoon.