Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Miami Beach , Florida
Security Questions

Aside from the pre-installed anti-theft alarm, does anyone have suggestions for additional security/anti-theft devices we can install on our Airstream Interstate? Also, is there a good place to bolt down a floor safe for a laptop and small electronics? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

I am having issues as well finding an alarm system company that has a system that can be installed into a 2014 Airsteam Interstate.
A local company spent 9 hours trying to install a Viper system and in the end Viper doesn't have the knowledge
to install their system in a sprinter van past 2013.
I have even called a local Mercedes Sprinter dealership and they have no clue. It really surprises me that this is a novelty. Help!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
Also, is there a good place to bolt down a floor safe for a laptop and small electronics? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
The area under the rear lounge has the most room for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucho Rusto View Post
I am having issues as well finding an alarm system company that has a system that can be installed into a 2014 Airsteam Interstate.
A local company spent 9 hours trying to install a Viper system and in the end Viper doesn't have the knowledge
to install their system in a sprinter van past 2013.
I have even called a local Mercedes Sprinter dealership and they have no clue. It really surprises me that this is a novelty. Help!
Welcome to the Airstream Forum.

Protagonist put a Viper alarm system in his AI. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...te-109490.html His is a 2012 but I'm not aware of any changes to the Sprinter that would disallow a Viper install in a 2014. Scroll down and Gerald Miller posted his install of a Drone system.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The area under the rear lounge has the most room for this.
Actually, a good place for a flat safe to store a laptop might be on top of the rear wheelwell, under the side-facing seat on one side or the other. Completely hidden unless you lift the seat. You may have to trim the top of the seat base to enlarge the rectangular hole, though…

It may be that some Viper modules will work and others won't. When I installed mine, they didn't yet have the remote door lock/alarm module that would set off the alarm if the door was opened, but I have done without it because the motion sensor will go off if any door is opened anyway. Now that the door lock/alarm module is available for mine, I still haven't gotten one. I also did without the remote start module. I don't expect anyone to wire a bomb to the ignition, so why would I need a remote start anyway?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Ocean City , Maryland
I had a Viper alarm installed in my 2014 ext. cab and it is the best. The installer stated he had never worked on a sprinter van before but assured me he had the skill set to do the job. After four trips and probable 15 hours of work they figured out the problems and the alarm is working flawlessly. My installer (Sound EFX) located in Rehoboth Beach, DE was highly recommended and the quality of his work was well worth the money and time. There is a lot going on under the hood and and through the walls of this van and taking it to an unqualified installer will only cause you grief.