Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #1

modesto , California
Seat 6 or 8?

The Interstate layout shows 8 seats with belts while it says it only seats 6. Why is this?

Airstream, Inc :: Interstate Floorplans
norcal209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
I never noticed that in the specs. I can see saying 7, discounting the one side facing seat, but then why put a belt on it? Perhaps those specs keep it under the 9900 GVWR.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I don't ever recall seeing an Interstate with a seat belt on the side ottoman. I think it is a graphic drawing mistake. No way could you put a seat belt on a side facing seat with a loose back rest cushion. I don't even know if that would be legal. But without the ottoman seat there are still 7 others showing. The middle sofa seat if like the Pleasure-Way Sprinter may have just a seat belt but no shoulder harness. That would mean you could only strap in a child seat with its own harnessing system. So, that reduces it to a seating for 6 adults when underway or 8 when stopped. Of course it is designed for only sleeping 2.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
The Rear Lounge models have an anchored seat belt on the one side facing seat next to the galley cabinet. These side-facing seats do are not loose, instead they are very solid and have an articulating hinge system that allows the seat to fold flat only if the seat cushion is tilted up at least 30 degrees and pulled out. It's actually very clever and allows access to storage above the rear wheel housings. Even if you didn't use the side facing seat, there is comfortable belted seating on the rear lounge for 3. Bottom line: belted seating for 8. Homemade folding sleeping platforms across the Airstream Memory Foam seats: Sleeping for 4

Although the 3500 chassis, (which Roadtrek now makes for 2010), made the most difference for me, it was the interior features and overall build quality that made the Interstate stand out over the RS Adventurous I had planned on buying.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
Day seating

Hi interstate owners,

As a follow up on the seating question, I wonder about using this for day trips with friends. We often go up to Napa Valley for day trips and wine tasting. Could a late or new model serve as a fun day trip RV for 4 to 6 friends? (I would hire a driver) How many can sit in the rear lounge area?

Thanks!
Vitaminsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
If you bought the lounge plan with 4 seats up front and the sofa with 3 seats with seat belts I would say 7 legally. The side ottoman seat with seat belt may be a mistake since it is not legal to travel sideways in a lot of jurisdictions. I'm not familiar with California in that regard. I don't recall a seat belt anyway. Underway, seven. Stationary, eight. Realistically, six since the center sofa seat is kind of an odd man out seat, IMO. However, we have used the center sofa seat for a child seat. The sofa is a bouncy ride, BTW being cantilevered back of the rear wheels. The two main roads down Napa Valley are not that bad to drive on. You could live with it, especially after a few stops.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote