Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Screen room or screening

With the season almost upon us here in the Midwest, I am looking for a screen room or screening that would allow me to leave the door of my Airstream Class B open.

I have a Fiamma awning but the factory unit is not only overpriced but too hard to put up, stay a night or two and take off, only to repeat again.

Does anyone have any ideas or come up with a system of your own that would allow the door to be left open?

I have even considered a tent, using only three sides and attaching one side to the unit with magnets or to the awning. Any other ideas?
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Send Skatiero a PM. She built a really neat screen room which attaches to their awning.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
On a T@B and teardrop, I made my own screen doors. Just rolled it up when we rolled away
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Off of the tailgate of my minivan I have used screen fabric attached with clamps. Relatively inexpensive, durable, reusable. Sexy? No.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1286.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	179921  

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
SprinterStore.com sells screens for the side and rear doors: Insect Screens

Eurocampers.com sells a better rear door screen, but no side door screen: Spinter Rear Door Screen Kits.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
SprinterStore.com sells screens for the side and rear doors: Insect Screens

Eurocampers.com sells a better rear door screen, but no side door screen: Spinter Rear Door Screen Kits.
I think I spent about $60 for my set up. I overlap the edges of the fabric 4-5 inches. No zipper required.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...a great idea. Need to figure this out for my rig.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
While searching for a premade version I found a post on RV.Net's forum. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: screen door See post #4. Photos and plans.

I had a commercial version like that for my 1977 Dodge van, my first "camper" then TV, that I got at Sears back in the 1980s. It used a zipper instead of Velcro, but was very similar. Worked great. People would ask about it everywhere I camped in the van.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Our screen room is modeled after the one zipdee sells, but was infinitely cheaper. We made it from screening meant to hang from those free-standing patio rooms. It hangs from our awning from three eyebolts and snaps to snaps which are riveted up the sides of the Airstream by the awning arms. There is also a skirt which snaps on along the beltline to keep out bugs from under the trailer. The bottom corners have elastic straps. These can be staked down or we can slip plastic water bottles into the elastic to weight down the corners where staking is not an option. It has zippers in the center and each corner. It more than doubles our living space (which we need with this many people) and goes on in about ten minutes. I sewed it at a campground while my husband put on the riveted snaps and grommets. It works great and was very inexpensive. This is my crunch time at work but I will try to upload a photo or two when I get a chance. Katie
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
This looks like a reasonable solution for many doors.

Looks quite easy to take off and replace, so that when you travel, it isn't flapping at others down the highway...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Our screen room is modeled after the one zipdee sells, but was infinitely cheaper. We made it from screening meant to hang from those free-standing patio rooms. It hangs from our awning from three eyebolts and snaps to snaps which are riveted up the sides of the Airstream by the awning arms. There is also a skirt which snaps on along the beltline to keep out bugs from under the trailer. The bottom corners have elastic straps. These can be staked down or we can slip plastic water bottles into the elastic to weight down the corners where staking is not an option. It has zippers in the center and each corner. It more than doubles our living space (which we need with this many people) and goes on in about ten minutes. I sewed it at a campground while my husband put on the riveted snaps and grommets. It works great and was very inexpensive. This is my crunch time at work but I will try to upload a photo or two when I get a chance. Katie
I'm looking forward to the photos!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I'm trying to find the photos.....
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My B190 had velcro all around the door with a screen that you could put over the side door, much like what Protagonist posted. I tried it once and my cat was out of the camper before I even had the screen up, so that was the last time I used it. But I'm sure it would work well for people without frisky creatures who think escaping is a good idea.

Mine also had aluminum-edged window screens you could put in the driver and passenger windows - you'd roll them down, put these in, then roll them back up a bit to secure them. Again, I never used them, but they were pretty neat.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Mine also had aluminum-edged window screens you could put in the driver and passenger windows - you'd roll them down, put these in, then roll them back up a bit to secure them. Again, I never used them, but they were pretty neat.
I have some of those, too. The ones for the Sprinter vans have vent louvers on the outside, screening on the inside, and can be left in place in light rain (but not thunderstorms with with winds). I also use them when the weather is cool enough to need the furnace, and I want the vents as far from my bed as possible so I don't have to deal with a draft while I'm sleeping.

Best of all, they work just fine with my Weathertech window vent visors in place; no need to remove one to use the other. And the way the fit over the top edge of the glass, you can lock the doors securely with them in place, so I use them when I'm driving around town and need to park in a public parking area. Between them and the MaxxFan ceiling exhaust fan, they keep the interior temperature the same as the outside temp; no heat buildup.

I got mine from Eurocampers (Sprinter Airvent Cab Window Inserts - for 2007-2013 chassis with 6 cyl. engine), but they're out-of-stock right now, with no indication of when they'll get more. Other Sprinter accessory dealers may have them in stock, though.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have the rear door screen, they haven't yet come out with one for a side door on an 06 interstate, which is actually an 05 dodge sprinter van.

We have found that the weather needs to be optimal to use ours, but it has been invaluable for places like boondocking on Padre Island. OMG!

They are pricey premade, but durable and space-efficient. We carry ours with us all the time.

We have looked at those attach-with-magnets screens made for house doors, and thought about just getting one of those for the cargo door. Would serve the purpose, they are relatively inexpensive, and are available now.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I would really like a small room to sit in, but I may start with an "as seen on TV" magnet unit to see if I like leaving the door open. I will probably also look for different types of tents and use just three sides, connecting the back side to either the awning or magnets to the top.

I'll look around this summer and see what I can come up with.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Is this available in the US?

Bus annex tent Easy 2 with mountable floor - Tents, motorhomes/vans - Caravan/RV tents - Accessories Store - reimo.com

or this?

http://www.reimo.com/en/93625-kaprun...ion_equipment/
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Surely you could order it to be shipped to the US. ??

I really like that first one.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Surely you could order it to be shipped to the US. ?
If you do, insist on Incoterms DDP (Delivered Duty Paid). That means that the seller handles everything for you, right to your front door. You don't have to deal with shipping, import duties, or anything else. The seller just presents you with one lump-sum bill to cover everything. DDP only applies to across-the-border shipping.

International mail usually goes that way anyhow, but if a parcel service like UPS, FedEx, or any of the myriad others is involved, you should specify the shipping terms, just to be sure. You don't want to order only to find out you have an import duty to pay on delivery that you didn't know about, or that the package gets stopped in Customs and never makes it to you because buyer and seller each thought the other was going to fill out the customs declaration.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee has screen rooms that fit their awnings.

Their screen rooms can also be equipped for total privacy.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote