Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Fiamma recently came out with an interesting addition… It's a canopy that goes over the rear doors. Open the doors 90°, drape the canopy over the doors, and presto, instant increase in covered storage space.

This link youuld take you to it: Fiamma Inc. - Products. It's the second item on the page, "Rear Door Cover Ducato." Supposedly it fits high-roof Sprinters manufactured after June 2006, which should include most 2007 and later Interstates.

I haven't decided whether or not to get one; I have yet to travel with enough gear to need one. I'd get a "Florida room" to enclose the area under the awning first. The rear door cover is also likely to be more useful to those who have a twin-bed model so it can be used as a covered entrance when coupled with a hitch-mounted step.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wonder how large the package that the awning rooms are in is when packed?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Did it with the gkids(boys), loved the experience, tent pitched under the awning, didn't need screen room, actually they liked it because they were independent and in their own space. When we took the G-girl, she didn't even like the inside bed on the couch, at end of trip her comment was "I'm not a camper, like it better in hotels, more services even tho we stayed at only resort parks with swimming pools the whole way(fl to ohio). Make sure you know your g-kids likes or dislikes before committing to the trip.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Wonder how large the package that the awning rooms are in is when packed?
I ordered a screen room from FiammaUSA to fit my Fiamma F65 awning. It should arrive in the next couple of days. According to Fiamma, the whole thing fits in a package that's 55 inches long, 14 inches tall, and 10 inches wide, and weighs about 55 pounds. If I don't bring my bike, the screen room can go on my hitch-mounted cargo tray, but if I use my hitch-mounted bike rack instead, then the screen room will probably have to occupy the rear sofa while I'm in transit. Good thing I travel solo and don't need to sit back there until I reach my destination.

I suppose another possibility for carrying the screen room in transit would be to stand the bundle on end and bungee-cord it to the back of one of the front seats. That should work as long as I don't have to swivel the seat.

The thing I wonder is, will the screen room fold up to that size again once I've used it, or is a toothpaste-and-tube situation like trying to fit my double-bed sleeping bag back in the compression sack it came in?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
I suppose another possibility for carrying the screen room in transit would be to stand the bundle on end and bungee-cord it to the back of one of the front seats. That should work as long as I don't have to swivel the seat.

The thing I wonder is, will the screen room fold up to that size again once I've used it, or is a toothpaste-and-tube situation like trying to fit my double-bed sleeping bag back in the compression sack it came in?
You could probably do the bungee-to-the-back-seat thing without difficulty. We have back seat organizers on ours, nifty black canvas-like items from Duluth Trading that hold an assortment of small items. Actually a back seat organizer on top and front seat organizer on the floor beneath. Invaluable, and go nicely with the interior.

Our rear door screen folds up flat, really nicely. Not made by Fiamma, but should be similar. All the edges are soft and eminently foldable, slides under one of the rear seats. We keep it in a large ziplock bag.

Maggie
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If you have a ladder on the back, you could strap it to it. Jim
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Our rear door screen folds up flat, really nicely. Not made by Fiamma, but should be similar. All the edges are soft and eminently foldable, slides under one of the rear seats. We keep it in a large ziplock bag.
Good to know, if I ever get one. The screen room I ordered hangs from the awning to the ground on all three sides and basically turn the awning into a three-sided tent with screened windows that can be covered by clear plastic windows for inclement weather. Not the same thing as your rear door screen, considerably bulkier, and made of stiffer materials as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
If you have a ladder on the back, you could strap it to it.
No ladder. Hadn't even considered getting one, as there's no space left on the roof for rooftop storage anyway, and no particular reason to go up there that would require a permanent ladder. Good idea, though, if I ever get a rear door ladder for my Interstate.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My older Interstate had the luggage rails on the roof. There was just enough space for a few things not needed all the time, hence the ladder. Thanks, jim