Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Sb 164

Do 2017's come with the SB 164 solenoid already installed?
Thanks,
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Do 2017's come with the SB 164 solenoid already installed?
Thanks,
Bill
No. Airstream realized that was the wrong decision to put in that solenoid.
2017s have a second motorized switch in parallel with the main disconnect switch that performs the same function as the solenoid without requiring the current drain that SB164 caused.

I removed SB 164 from my 2014.5 and replaced it with a manual switch that performs the same function as the second switch in the 2017.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
Dolenoid

Had Sb164 installed and now it has failed. How do I bypass it? And how did you install manual switch? Thanks
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Do a forum search on SB 164 and you'll find complete write-ups on how to bypass
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Contributing Member

In my 2014.5 lounge, I installed the switch on the road side of the breaker box, directly opposite the main battery disconnect switch. There was plenty of space there for the switch and there is more than enough cable to reach that location.

The inverter is 1000 watts, so you will want a switch that will carry that load continuously, plus losses in the inverter, plus a safety factor. A switch with a 100-amp continuous rating at 12v is probably a bare minimum and I would like to see at least 125 amp continuous at 12v. I was fortunate that I had several candidate switches laying around in my shop.

Just tie the cables from the solenoid to the new switch and tape off the two small control wires. Throw the solenoid in the trash. I actually used the control wires to power an added cigarette-lighter type outlet for my 12v vacuum.

Make sure both the 12 volt and 12 volt systems are safely de-powered before you start surgery! Bad things could happen otherwise, both to you and to the system..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB 164 switch.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	289412   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB 164 wiring.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	289413  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
done

thanks to all for the help. did the bypass today and all seems fine. has anyone had success getting airstream to correct the situation?
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennian View Post
thanks to all for the help. did the bypass today and all seems fine. has anyone had success getting airstream to correct the situation?
SB164 was a voluntary Service Bulletin. You didn't have to have it done.

Since AS has decided to no longer use that solution, my guess is if you were to request it, AS would either A) deny it as a "defunct" SB, or B) use the current solution that they've employed on the '17's and beyond, which is a second rotary switch. You would need to contact your AS dealer and see what your options are. Keep in mind the current solution has only been in use for about a year, so don't be surprised if your dealer doesn't have a clue. Be gentle with them and you may get what you want.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennian View Post

Hahahah. That question is so adorable! Airstream to address the battery drain problem--love your sense of humor.lol Sarcasm on my part which sprung from frustration in dealing with dealer and Airstream.

I found a video on U Tube showing how to bypass the little bugger. Done and done.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
... I found a video on U Tube showing how to bypass the little bugger. ...
Good info on the YouTube video. It took me a minute to find it as it is titled: "Airstream Interstate Inverter Solenoid bypass/replacement"

It is a Colonial Airstream Service Video. The audio in first part is pretty bad. Also it is pretty nonchalant about the danger of unhooking those high current battery lines. The magnum inverter is remove so it makes the job look easier than it might be. Here is link to video for anyone who wants to have a look.

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Good info on the YouTube video. It took me a minute to find it as it is titled: "Airstream Interstate Inverter Solenoid bypass/replacement" Also it is pretty nonchalant about the danger of unhooking those high current battery lines.
That video is frightening! I can just see someone with a wrench shorting out against some other item or one of those stiff cables getting loose and shorting out. They did not even caution possible novices. I had every voltage source in the coach off when I replaced my solenoid with a marine battery switch.

The fact that they had to tell folks how to deal with a solenoid failure is proof that the solenoid is a worthless piece of junk that never should have found its way into an AI.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
... I had every voltage source in the coach off when I replaced my solenoid with a marine battery switch....

Good advice to disconnect every battery when working on the high current circuits. This is especially a issue with BIM in the Interstates as it can cross connect the batteries just when you don't want it.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote