Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Satellite System

Hello experts! We're finally ready to add a satellite system to our 2013 extended interstate. Bay Area Airstream dealership in Fairfield, CA has recommended the Winegard Roadtrip Mission system. We were quoted $2600 including installation for an in-motion system. It would be $200 less for a stationary system. Does anyone have an opinion regarding the in-motion vs. stationary systems? Is it true that in-motion systems may cause more grief to operate than the stationary system? It would be a nice feature for only $200 more if it was without issues, but it's not a deal breaker for us. We appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Laura and Vince

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Does anyone have an opinion regarding the in-motion vs. stationary systems?
It all boils down to one simple question… Do members of your family want to watch satellite television while the vehicle is in motion? If so, then you need an in-motion system. If they're only going to watch television while the vehicle is parked, then you don't.
Quote:
Is it true that in-motion systems may cause more grief to operate than the stationary system?
In general terms, the more complicated anything is, the more complicated it will be to maintain and repair.

Regardless of what system you get, measure the installed height and post that height permanently on your dashboard where the driver can easily see it. That includes any Sprinter or Airstream service tech who will drive the vehicle. That simple precaution now may save replacing the antenna later due to it being smacked by an overhead obstruction— such as a service bay door that's not tall enough anymore…
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
We have a Dish Tailgater system which allows us to place the satellite up to 50' away from the AI. Even with that latitude, we still sometimes have problems getting a signal because of obstructions. Trees are the usual culprits. A permanently mounted antenna would make it even more difficult finding a view of the sky. That would be my main concern about a permanently mounted system.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I'm glad you brought this question to the group. I too have been researching In-motion satellite systems and have found the following:
In motion dishes:
1. Are subject to loss of signal during rainstormsm due to small dish size
2. Are only capable of receiving standard definition signal (not a big deal on small AI screens)
3. Make an annoying whirring noise while searching for signal, especially when parked.
4. Can't watch a different channel on other TV
5. When parked at campsite with trees, you can't move dish to get signal like you can with a portable dish.

I look forward to hearing from owners of In-motion systems. BTW in Indiana, I was quoted $1400 for Winegard Mission In motion and $400 for installation.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
We also have the Dish Tailgater & love it as towing with a truck we are able to store it in the bed of the truck, something an Interstate owner does not have. Regarding your question, Protagonist above hit the nail on the head, and why watch television while traveling?
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
KVH makes the Tracvision A9 which can receive HD signals. Very pricey!! Their older A7 model does not receive HD.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
HD is only available from Dish but not all channels can be accessed from a single satellite so channel changes between satellites can take some time.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
HD is only available from Dish but not all channels can be accessed from a single satellite so channel changes between satellites can take some time.

The equipment is not cheap, but HD is also available on DirecTv. We use a receiver from our house. Not sure if the dish for DirecTv HD will fit on top of an interstate. The dish we use sits on a tripod, so we can move it away from obstacles, and we carry it in our pickup. We purchased ours from satelliteoasis.com

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I should have clarified my statement a bit more. The last time I researched this, in-motion systems could only receive HD from dish network and the lag between channels could be significant.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Thanks for all the input. One more question. Once a satellite system is installed, is it still possible to screw in the cable connection at the rv park and "bypass" the satellite?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

2015 Interstate Coach
Ormond Beach , Florida
Sure can.....The satellite mounted on the roof of an Interstate has a dedicated coax from the dish to the receiver. Does not interfere with the external connector wiring.
RHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boynton Beach , Florida
Had the in motion Winegard sat installed before we took delivery. Works very well and have it on all the time. Extra Direct TV receiver adds about 5 bucks a month to our home service, not hd on the road but still very nice picture. Installation comes with a switch in the overhead electronics area to hold stationary position when parked.
I consider it a must have for a luxury coach as the interstate.
CraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #13
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post

Not true... We have HD DirecTV and carry our DVR with us. We use a tripod and setup in 10 minutes. I purchased remote and a DirecTV Single Wire Multiswitch and an HDMI splitter.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
I have Dish HD with the. Winegard in motion reciever. You are lucky to get a signal sitting still with no obstructions and a clear sky. It takes a minimum 10 minutes of obnoxious noise from the unit to get a signal. A channel change sometimes will cause it to search again. It is a waste of money IMHO, of course my wife will disagree !
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Not true... We have HD DirecTV and carry our DVR with us. We use a tripod and setup in 10 minutes. I purchased remote and a DirecTV Single Wire Multiswitch and an HDMI splitter.
This is a discussion about in-motion systems that have active satalite tracking which lets you watch tv while you drive and not static systems you bring from home.

The in-motion dishes have a small reflector that limit the frequencies they can receive and DirecTV doesn't broadcast HD on those frequencies. Only Dish Network has HD on those frequencies and since the bandwidth is limited, it is spread across multiple satellites so some channel changes can have a large delay.