Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I believe that the transmitter in my Exceed Satellite net system is 2 or 3 watts total output. That has to be concentrated by the dish, and directly focused on the Satellite in the clark belt above the equator. But the shear number of them pointed at the Satellite splatters it with lots of energy overall.

At one time, some satellite systems used the satellite for download and a phone line for upload, but that was a long time ago (10 years maybe.. long in electronic time).

Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That pretty much coincides w/ when I heard about satellite uploads.

RF was never my strong suit.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Satellite Internet Providers

As was said earlier in this thread, we have found the Wi-Fi at campgrounds to be terrible. I wonder if that is by design to prevent the streaming of movies and the resultant large data usage. It would not bother me to pay more for my space to get a system that works.

Reminds me of how terrible Wi-Fi used to be in hotels. I have found it to be much better there in recent years. Not all boomers are heavy internet users but I guarantee the generation following us will be. I believe campgrounds will find good Wi-Fi performance will grow their business.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I am reluctant to admit how dependent I have become on the internet and I have found RV Park WiFi networks to offer generally dismal service. This has encouraged me to consider the possibility of using a portable satellite dish and a provider such as Exede, Hughes Net, or ??? I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with satellite internet and what wisdom they might have offer (I don't need to learn everything the hard way).
Try DirecTV now ATT. They advertise an internet service. We use them for TV service and take a portable dish when we go traveling. It has worked very well for us in the mountains over 8,000 ft and at the beach, just need a clear line of site and a local area code to activate service anywhere. If I have to use the internet and don't have cell service, which is almost everywhere we go. We go to a location we get Verizon service and use our Verizon Mi-Fi hot spot and laptop. Best of luck with the internet search.

-Dennis
Old 09-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Most of the information above is dated. There are two new players in the Satellite Internet market.

Another New RV Satellite Internet Option – Mobile HughesNet Ka-Band from RTC – RV Mobile Internet Resource Center
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Here is a review of a RV DataSat 840 install.

MobilSat Delivers RVDataSat 840 Satellite Internet for RVers Off the Grid
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
As was said earlier in this thread, we have found the Wi-Fi at campgrounds to be terrible. I wonder if that is by design to prevent the streaming of movies and the resultant large data usage. It would not bother me to pay more for my space to get a system that works.
Many campgrounds are located where there simply is not bandwidth capacity available to them for many users to do things like streaming video at the same time. They cannot get the capacity at any cost. When having wifi meant that people wanted to check email only, that was one thing, when it became streaming video the capacity needed went up by factors of 100 or 1000. It is simply not available in a lot of rural locations.

Then there is a pretty significant cost involved to provide the service to 25 to 200 RV's spread out over a large area. That infrastructure does not come cheap, and the technical expertise to design, install and maintain it is not readily available in a lot of areas.

I do feel sorry for the campground owners. It is not an easy thing to resolve for them. I know that if I owned a campground (shudder) I would simply make no effort to provide wifi service, it brings lots of headaches and few benefits. What they should NOT do is advertise wifi, and then have a poor, marginal or basically useless system. That makes for unhappy campers, to be told it is available then to find it really does not work.

People like me, who have lived with low or limited internet service areas understand that it does not just appear at no cost. If you live in a city with vast internet infrastructure, you tend to think it is universally available at no cost or very low cost. That is not true in rural locations.

I cannot even get any cell phone service at my home and if you go east from there, it is over 100 miles until there is a signal. A cell tower costs about half a million dollars to install. I am not going to pay it.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #22

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I found a cost for the ka band receiver system at $5995. That would buy a lot of 4G and/or LTE data — if it were available and of course that is the problem. I may not be as addicted to the internet as i thought. ��

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I may not be as addicted to the internet as i thought.
This is a good thing, of course.

I have stayed at one campground— actually the fairgrounds at Robbstown, TX for the most recent WBCCI Mid-Winter IBT meeting, where I had phone service but no reception at all on my Verizon MiFi even with the booster and external antenna. I used the smartphone as a hotspot but kept my usage to a minimum.

I also stayed at one campground, Lake Bruin State Park, St. Joseph, LA, that had neither cell phone nor MiFi reception at my campsite, so for my entire four-day stay there, I was incommunicado. I didn't mind too much. It was only four days, and I had my inflatable kayak to keep be occupied. I'll have to go back now that I've traded my old flip-phone for a smart-phone, to see if the phone is smart enough to give me a connection.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I really believe the best way for a campground to deliver wireless Internet service is at a focused point in a campground. Either in a lounge area or an outdoor or covered seating area where you can use your laptop or tablet. That way you can concentrate the best and highest speed service at that locale. I would rather take a morning walk to that area, sit down and do my work and then go back to my site. No playing around, no slowness, no trying to get signal through the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ocala , Florida
This site may be helpful to you.
RV Mobile Internet Resource Center
Malcolm
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: Mobile Broadband Equipment

We use a Verizon MiFi with an external antenna (on a flagpole-type mast) and a cellular-frequency amplifier; and there are very few camping locations where we've traveled where we've been without mobile broadband.

After the initial equipment investment a few years ago, our monthly Internet expense on Verizon is now $100 (for a grandfathered "Millenicom" 20GB plan); and this works so well for us that we cut off our DSL line at home and use this setup exclusively whether at home or on the road. However, we do NOT stream video content, like Netflix, HULU, etc.

For more info, see these links:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We use a Verizon MiFi with an external antenna (on a flagpole-type mast) and a cellular-frequency amplifier; and there are very few camping locations where we've traveled where we've been without mobile broadband.

After the initial equipment investment a few years ago, our monthly Internet expense on Verizon is now $100 (for a grandfathered "Millenicom" 20GB plan); and this works so well for us that we cut off our DSL line at home and use this setup exclusively whether at home or on the road. However, we do NOT stream video content, like Netflix, HULU, etc.

For more info, see these links:
VZW will no longer grandfather the larger GB or unlimited plans ...
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
VZW will no longer grandfather the larger GB or unlimited plans ...
Not if you upgrade the hardware, but as long as you keep the same old device they will. If you upgrade the hardware or add new hardware, you've got to upgrade the plan as well.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote