Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Raleigh , North Carolina
Satellite dish install

Has anyone removed the factory installed antenna and replaced it with a satellite antenna? I am purchasing a King Tailgater. Should I go to Camping World to install or is it a diy project? Thanks.

FunWaggin'
FunWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Talk to BAB. He has extensive experience in this stuff.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A suggestion for later…

The stock Interstate has a maximum height of 9'8" at the air conditioner. Your installed satellite dish will be taller than the A/C, so after the install, measure your maximum height at the dish and post a label on your dashboard with the new height, just as a reminder.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
A friend recently bought a Grand Tour and had a DirecTV dish installed. I asked him if it was the newer flat and wide dish, and he told me the installer had said that one was too wide for the available space on the roof. So he went with the older taller dish, which looks a little ugly but still remains below the level of the AC unit.
I haven't seen it - just passing on his comments!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
The Tailgater I have is a portable unit. You set it somewhere where it can see the southern skies and run a cable either directly to the receiver or hook it up at the cable inlet on the side of the AI and then hook up the receiver to the cable in jack that is located in the front overhead storage area.

I don't think they can be mounted permanently. Being portable there is no reason to remove the original antenna. You can use it to receive local channels for those times you don't want to contact Dish to have the local channels at your camping site added to the Dish program guide.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Unless it's an in-motion dish, not sure why you'd want to mount on top.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
On a FedEx Critical Delivery van parked at a truck stop overnight, a tailgater was temporarily hung externally, via a bracket, on the drivers window. It was an interesting solution.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
We've decided not to mount it right now. Heading up to the Finger Lakes and Adirondack Mts for a couple of weeks. We will try it out as a portable. Sounds like it's pretty easy to set-up. If we do eventually mount it I will definitely consider our new clearance requirement. (The new King Tailgater is mountable and comes with brackets to install.) Thanks for everyone's input.

FunWaggin'
Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
We mounted the Winegard in motion unit with direct TV package.

No clearance issues.

Very happy with it. But had the tracvision system in our previous interstate and it was good as well.

Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434502542.871777.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	240848

Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
It's not much higher than AC unit

Maybe 2-3 inches

Old 06-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
My Wineguard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent cover.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	240881  
Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Need help from anyone using the Tailgater. I am unable to get satellite reception when I connect directly to the coach at the cable port in macerator compartment. I have connected the receiver to the satellite cable pre-wired above the drivers seat. I have removed the wire used to complete the cable connection from the coaxial plate as instructed in the AI manual. Please let me know if I am omitting a necessary step. I am hopeful it's not a coach wiring problem.

(I am able to get satellite service when I connect the receiver directly to the satellite.)

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
Installation Lessons Learned for new Tailgater (black bulb vice white)

The purpose of this post is to describe the Airstream setup and use of the new King Tailgater as a means of watching HD TV no matter where you plan to camp. While free HDTV that comes through the roof top antenna is great, it is not available in most of the state campgrounds in Florida unless you are very close to major metropolitan area.

Visit Dish network before you plan to call in sign up to select the level of service you desire. Since my channel requirements were Fox, History Channel, Discovery and NatGeo, my wife requires HDTV. For us, that translated to the so-called “Top 120” which cost about $80 when we signed up for the single month of July, 2015.

It took me more than a day to make my system work because I mistakenly thought that just hooking the satellite antenna cable to my factory installed external RG6 connector via the antenna’s F-male screw connector.

For some strange reason, my use of campground supplied cable TV versus my HD-through-the-air antenna has always been confusing due to an unexplained switch inside my trailer to which my #1 TV connects. I can never remember which way the push button switch should be (green light push button switch on or off?).

This confusion results in many a false search for local stations in the TV’s “set up installation mode –search for channels.”

As a result of this confusion, I bought a cable connector data tester from Lowes:

To my surprise, this tester revealed that my external RG6 was operating but the internal plug was not conveying sufficient signal strength. Here is the solution to that problem for me: under my dining table on the rear bulkhead near the deck. In my fingers is a patch cable I removed which cross-connected my exterior connector with the interior connectors. The white coax cable now connected to the “Cable/Sat In” RG^ is the coax cable to the back of my satellite receiver. My receiver is connected to the receiver via a 25 foot HDMI cable which I snaked behind the couch cushions to the #1 TV. This arrangement minimizes line loses and HDMI assures great HD.

This 25 foot cable also gives me the option of connecting the #2 TV in the forward bunk compartment albeit by snaking the cable down the passageway. However, by locating the satellite receiver on top of a laser printer under the dining table, I can change channels from the bunk area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	King Tailgater.png
Views:	322
Size:	557.8 KB
ID:	242914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 19.39.15.png
Views:	115
Size:	924.0 KB
ID:	242915  

Name:	Cable Patch.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	242916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Tester.png
Views:	133
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	242917  

CanoeU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Do any of you with satellite TV experience know the current draw? I have a battery monitor and can turn on the invertor and the TV to see how much power that draws, but I would like to know how much I have to add to that to power the satellite and its associated box. Presumably these require 110 V AC - and not 12 V DC, and thus require use of the invertor. Correct? (Not that it really matter since the invertor has to be on anyway to power the TV.) I don't want to buy the satellite if the only practical way to use it for any appreciable length of time is with the (noisy) generator running or when plugged in.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Hi-We just returned from a long trip, and I used the dish a lot. I used a 140 watt inverter plugged directly to the receiver, and it handled it well. (Pick a 12v power point with nothing else on it to plug in the inverter. If there is a quick voltage drop the receiver will have to reset itself) When we are on shore power I plug it into 110. I made a connector for our flat screen and run it directly on 12v DC all the time, with a shutoff switch so it doesn't draw when not in use. Only used the generator when the batteries were getting low and no sun for solar panels. (To top off batteries and allow Nancy to use hair dryer and curling iron) Good luck, we liked having 3 choices of channels while traveling. Cable in campgrounds (sometimes), local channels from antenna (sometimes), and Directv when I had the ambition to set up the dish! Happy Trails, Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote