Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Do any of you with satellite TV experience know the current draw? I have a battery monitor and can turn on the invertor and the TV to see how much power that draws, but I would like to know how much I have to add to that to power the satellite and its associated box. Presumably these require 110 V AC - and not 12 V DC, and thus require use of the invertor. Correct? (Not that it really matter since the invertor has to be on anyway to power the TV.) I don't want to buy the satellite if the only practical way to use it for any appreciable length of time is with the (noisy) generator running or when plugged in.

Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Hi-We just returned from a long trip, and I used the dish a lot. I used a 140 watt inverter plugged directly to the receiver, and it handled it well. (Pick a 12v power point with nothing else on it to plug in the inverter. If there is a quick voltage drop the receiver will have to reset itself) When we are on shore power I plug it into 110. I made a connector for our flat screen and run it directly on 12v DC all the time, with a shutoff switch so it doesn't draw when not in use. Only used the generator when the batteries were getting low and no sun for solar panels. (To top off batteries and allow Nancy to use hair dryer and curling iron) Good luck, we liked having 3 choices of channels while traveling. Cable in campgrounds (sometimes), local channels from antenna (sometimes), and Directv when I had the ambition to set up the dish! Happy Trails, Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote