Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Columbia , Maryland
Sat Antenna Location

I picked up a 2013 Interstate EXT a few months ago and overall I've been really happy with the vehicle. Recently I activated the satellite radio service. I've got Sirius/XM on every other vehicle I own and am used to minor issues with antenna placement interfering with optimal reception.

However, on the Interstate, reception seems to be generally terrible. The antenna on my unit is installed on the passenger dash. Reading through the radio docs, this placement is highly discouraged as the reception isn't reliable. I was wondering where other's sat antenna is installed and if anyone has relocated it?

I've already had one issue with this head unit... the iPod cable was not installed correctly so I had to pop the head unit out and reroute part of the cable to get it all working properly. Overall, the radio has been the biggest pain about this rig... which I guess if that's my biggest problem, I shouldn't complain too much

Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I have the same vehicle, a 2013 Interstate EXT Lounge model. My Sirius/XM antenna is loacted on top of the roof above the driver seat just inside the side rail. I bought mine in October last year and the Sirius/XM works great.

- - Mike

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdead View Post
The antenna on my unit is installed on the passenger dash.
The antenna on the passenger-side dashboard is the GPS antenna. The Sirius antenna is directly over the driver, on the roof.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Columbia , Maryland
Huh. Well, if the thing on the dash is the GPS ant, I don't see my Sirius ant. I guess I need to do figure out what's going on. My reception works (at best) 50% of the time... highly dependent on which way I'm driving. So there's an antenna somewhere, but it's not working the way it should
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
So there's an antenna somewhere, but it's not working the way it should
Seriously, on the roof. Best seen from a ladder. It's not very tall, so you can't see it at all while standing on the ground. If you roll the driver's window all the way down, and stand on the windowsill (with the door closed), you might see it that way too, but a ladder is safer.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Columbia , Maryland
Yep. I see it there. Or at least I see the little white bump that's the antenna. The placement seems fine (pretty much near ideal, really) which is a bummer b/c now I have no idea why my reception is so poor. I guess I'll get serious about troubleshooting this and maybe give my dealer or AS a call.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I'd say your wiring to the Sirius antenna is the problem, especially since you already had to fix a problem with the iPod cable. The antenna on the roof is a white mushroom shaped item. Mine is a Shakespeare Galaxy SRA 40 Sirius Antenna like the one at this link:
http://shakespeare-marine.com/antennas.asp?antenna=sra-40
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
2012 Interstate Coach
Dallas , Texas
Same for me. I have a 2012 and while the antenna is on the roof, the reception is horrible.... horrible to the point that I pretty much refuse to use the Sirius radio. It frustrates me and the last thing I want to be is frustrated while enjoying the Interstate.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #9

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
The Sirius reception on my 2013 Interstate was somewhere between lousy and non-existent. After much fiddling around with the antenna and antenna connections, the fix was to replace the Sirius module the antenna is connected to which in turn connects into the back of the sound system. Now Sirius works great!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Columbia , Maryland
That's interesting. Where is the Sirius module? I presume in the dash somewhere but before I go ripping things apart, I figured I'd ask...
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Quote:
That's interesting. Where is the Sirius module? I presume in the dash somewhere but before I go ripping things apart, I figured I'd ask...
I have the same question....
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #12

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
When you remove the "radio" display from the dash, the Sirius module is a small rectangular black box plugged into the rear of the display unit.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Not sure what Airstream is currently using... butu my 2013 came with this SiriusXM module that connect to Kenwood unit.

Amazon.com: SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers: Electronics

- - Mike
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
2012 Interstate Coach
Dallas , Texas
So I take the 3 hour round trip to take my new Interstate in for the repair. The iPod connector is not plugged in.. fixed. A couple other issues... resolved. The Sirius failure is another story.

The dealer says "we can't seem to get it to fail". So I ask them to take it on a drive because it continuously fails on the road, especially when you are headed north to northwest.... you guys know where this is going... So he says "well we did but please call Airstream, we can't fix without their approval."

I call Airstream and they advise that it is a Kenwood warranty claim and to call Kenwood... really?! So I remind them that we bought a very expensive Interstate with a warranty but Airstream now feels it is ok to simply pass the buck and blow me off. Thanks for nothing.

This is a new Interstate with less than 3,000 miles and has a recurring issue. I will fix this stupid thing myself for $50. Horrible customer service experience. I'd say it is about as satisfying as calling the DMV.