Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Oh, I thought I'd just have the AI put on a flatbed with other trailers.
Well, search around and get a quote, but considering I recently got quotes to move a car from Maryland to Ohio for $550 and up, I suspect moving a tall/heavy vehicle like a Sprinter motorhome that distance is going to be pretty expensive.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Well, search around and get a quote, but considering I recently got quotes to move a car from Maryland to Ohio for $550 and up, I suspect moving a tall/heavy vehicle like a Sprinter motorhome that distance is going to be pretty expensive.
Don't forget that a stock Airstream Interstate is 9'8" tall at the air conditioner shroud. Height of the flatbed can be no more than about 4 feet unless the carrier is going to get oversize permits for every state he passes through (total height over 14 feet usually considered oversize). Some flatbed tow trucks have a bed low enough, but if you're going with a semi-trailer flatbed, you'd best go with a low-boy trailer.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Coast to coast relocation of new Interstate

FWIW: A few years ago my wife and I were dealing with two sets of ill parents and needed to get from Ohio to Idaho in a short time. We were traveling in a VW Eurovan Camper and drove 1700 miles straight through with only fuels stops and one 30 min. nap. It was a long 30+ hours and I would only do it if necessary but in a way it was a fun challenge. In your new Interstate, it would be relatively easy if you have a co-driver. You have a good bed with you for naps, facilities for food prep on the go and a potty. Plus your range is around 400 miles so fuel stops would be few. Yes, yours would be a longer trip but making some assumptions and using rough numbers, here's what it might look like:
  • Distance - 2800 mi.
  • Average speed - 55 mph
  • Driving time - 51 hrs
  • Fuel mileage - 17 mpg
  • Fuel used - 165 gal
  • Fuel price - $3.90/gal
  • Cost of fuel - $645
Short version of a longer story: My wife likes to goad me into doing things my inner senses are telling me are a VERY BAD idea. On our 1700 mile trip I started looking for fuel around 10 PM somewhere in Wyoming. She says, "naw, we can make it to the next town". Around midnight we finally found a no-attendant station at a highway intersection in the middle of nowhere and put 21 gal. in a 21.2 gal (counting reserve) tank! We had an interesting "conversation" and once I had my rant out of my system laughed ourselves silly! The reason I mention this is you don't want to do this with your AI; Sprinters don't like to run out of deisel!

Best of luck, however this works out for you,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Yes, yours would be a longer trip but making some assumptions and using rough numbers, here's what it might look like:
  • Distance - 2800 mi.
  • Average speed - 55 mph
  • Driving time - 51 hrs
  • Fuel mileage - 17 mpg
  • Fuel used - 165 gal
  • Fuel price - $3.90/gal
  • Cost of fuel - $645
Numbers are rough, but accurate enough based on my experience. You only forgot to add, fuel tank capacity, 26 gallons.

The onboard computer calculates your remaining range based on your fuel economy (also as calculated by the onboard computer). In my experience, the "Drive to Gas Station" reminder comes on the message display pretty consistently at 100 miles range left in the tank. If you can't find a source of diesel within 100 miles, you're really in the middle of nowhere!

My own personal limit in my Interstate (so far) was driving straight through from New Orleans to Altus, OK for my dad's funeraló 740 miles one-way in just over 12 hours, stopping only to top off the Interstate's tank and drain my tank. The driver's seat was still comfortable after that long in the saddle and I felt like I could have gone farther. There's a reason why my Interstate is my preferred vehicle for any out-of-town trip, whether I'm going camping or not.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
...My own personal limit in my Interstate (so far) was driving straight through from New Orleans to Altus, OK for my dad's funeraló 740 miles one-way in just over 12 hours, stopping only to top off the Interstate's tank and drain my tank. The driver's seat was still comfortable after that long in the saddle and I felt like I could have gone farther. There's a reason why my Interstate is my preferred vehicle for any out-of-town trip, whether I'm going camping or not.
Ah, that's just across town for me. I took my Roadtrek Adventurous to trade to Colonial RV in New Jersey from Oklahoma, and then drove back the new Interstate-with a stopoever in D.C. to see my daughter-for a total commute of over 3000 miles, all in 5 days!

Gerald
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Ah, that's just across town for me. I took my Roadtrek Adventurous to trade to Colonial RV in New Jersey from Oklahoma, and then drove back the new Interstate-with a stopoever in D.C. to see my daughter-for a total commute of over 3000 miles, all in 5 days!

Gerald
Solo?

Given that experience, you're the perfect person to ask: Did you find any difference in driving comfort between the Airstream and the Roadtrek? When I test-drove a Roadtrek before buying my Interstate, I found the road noise in the Roadtrek to be an estimated 10dB higher, but otherwise not much difference in terms of driving comfort. They both started off as Sprinters, after all.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Solo?

Given that experience, you're the perfect person to ask: Did you find any difference in driving comfort between the Airstream and the Roadtrek? When I test-drove a Roadtrek before buying my Interstate, I found the road noise in the Roadtrek to be an estimated 10dB higher, but otherwise not much difference in terms of driving comfort. They both started off as Sprinters, after all.

Yep, solo, as my wife had more sense than me to go (even though she married me, which puts doubt in that theory).

My Adventurous was on the 2006 2500 model, and yes, there is a world of difference. It nearly beat me to death on the cross-winds, and the road noise is much higher because Roadtrek's idea of floor insulation is 1/2" plywood screwed to the steel floor, as opposed to Airstream's 1" or more foam insulation on a raised plywood floor. The 2011 3500 chassis is much more refined than the previous model, much less bounced around by cross-winds, and much more comfortable to drive.

However, the seats in the 2006 model, were more comfortable (they were of a much better design than the ones MB uses in the current model). I wish I could replace the ones in the new model with those, but they are not compatible. I did find one "air" chair available similar to the ones in the Adventurous, but it won't swivel, which in my unit, is a must (I only have one chair behind the drivers/co-pilot's seat in the WD model).

Gerald
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Thx for the great information. I wouldn't have known.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
FWIW: A few years ago my wife and I were dealing with two sets of ill parents and needed to get from Ohio to Idaho in a short time. We were traveling in a VW Eurovan Camper and drove 1700 miles straight through with only fuels stops and one 30 min. nap. It was a long 30+ hours and I would only do it if necessary but in a way it was a fun challenge. In your new Interstate, it would be relatively easy if you have a co-driver. You have a good bed with you for naps, facilities for food prep on the go and a potty. Plus your range is around 400 miles so fuel stops would be few. Yes, yours would be a longer trip but making some assumptions and using rough numbers, here's what it might look like:
  • Distance - 2800 mi.
  • Average speed - 55 mph
  • Driving time - 51 hrs
  • Fuel mileage - 17 mpg
  • Fuel used - 165 gal
  • Fuel price - $3.90/gal
  • Cost of fuel - $645
Short version of a longer story: My wife likes to goad me into doing things my inner senses are telling me are a VERY BAD idea. On our 1700 mile trip I started looking for fuel around 10 PM somewhere in Wyoming. She says, "naw, we can make it to the next town". Around midnight we finally found a no-attendant station at a highway intersection in the middle of nowhere and put 21 gal. in a 21.2 gal (counting reserve) tank! We had an interesting "conversation" and once I had my rant out of my system laughed ourselves silly! The reason I mention this is you don't want to do this with your AI; Sprinters don't like to run out of deisel!

Best of luck, however this works out for you,
Wayne
Good story Gerald. Your wife sounds like me! I'll make sure not to wait too long for re-fueling. Thx.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Good story Gerald. Your wife sounds like me! I'll make sure not to wait too long for re-fueling. Thx.
Yep, a good story; one of many. Not Gerald's though; he can come up with his own!

Wayne

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote