Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

RV Insurance

We insured our Airstream Interstate with Liberty Mutual (who has our insurance for our cars and home). The cost is about $2,000/yr. with pretty standard coverages. We put it into storage, which reduces the rate down to $1,000/yr., but still expensive.

The one advantage to having this insurance with Liberty Mutual is that our $1M umbrella also applies to this policy. But it still seems pricey.

I realize that insurance is based on a lot of factors and our rig is currently titled in Montana, so that's where they underwrite the insurance. But we are low risk, no accidents or tickets in the past 5+ years.

Any suggestions for other alternatives to consider? 73shark already recommended Allied Insurance. Any others? I will be making calls this week.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Might find a broker to do the grunt work for you.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Try Good Sam. They are written by National General who also has the RV storage option. (minimum 30 days in and 30 days out). We've had all of our cars and rv's with them for several years and the rate is WAY below what you are paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
We insured our Airstream Interstate with Liberty Mutual (who has our insurance for our cars and home). The cost is about $2,000/yr. with pretty standard coverages. We put it into storage, which reduces the rate down to $1,000/yr., but still expensive.

The one advantage to having this insurance with Liberty Mutual is that our $1M umbrella also applies to this policy. But it still seems pricey.

I realize that insurance is based on a lot of factors and our rig is currently titled in Montana, so that's where they underwrite the insurance. But we are low risk, no accidents or tickets in the past 5+ years.

Any suggestions for other alternatives to consider? 73shark already recommended Allied Insurance. Any others? I will be making calls this week.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Try Good Sam. They are written by National General who also has the RV storage option. (minimum 30 days in and 30 days out). We've had all of our cars and rv's with them for several years and the rate is WAY below what you are paying.
Ditto. I have National General and pay $750/ year. I do garage it when not on the road.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
I have used Overland for the past 4 years on my motor home. They have the best rates for the coverage that I wanted. I have always carried full replacement coverage. I called last week to get a quote on our new Airstream Classic that will arrive in December and got a quote of $585.62 for full coverage plus it included full replacement coverage. I live in SC and will garage the Airstrem in a local storage lot. Overland is an umbrella for several insurance companies and my quote was from Allied. I never filed a claim so I can't comment on that. You can get a quote by calling Ron Jarvie @ 480-994-9584.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
When I first bought my Interstate, I insured it with National General through Good Sam on an agreed-value policy. Approximate cost was 1% of my Interstate's purchase price, per year. That lasted for two years, until for no apparent reason they decided to almost double my rates.

I now insure through Progressive, and have the same agreed-value policy except with triple the liability coverage, for the same price that National General first charged me, about 1% of the Interstate's purchase price.

I didn't even consider an RV storage option, because living along the Gulf Coast where campgrounds are open year-round, I knew I'd never have a 30-day period where I wasn't camping somewhere.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Geico. In Florida and I am paying 540yr for 2016 AI.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Most of the insurance companies tempt you over to them with a low initial annual premium and then hike it up after 1-2 years. That is what also happened to us with National General from Good Sam. We haven't decided on who we're going with next, but this thread will certainly help!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Geico. In Florida and I am paying 540yr for 2016 AI.
That seems like a great price. What contents coverage do you have and is it free replacement for xx/years or agreed value?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When I first bought my Interstate, I insured it with National General through Good Sam on an agreed-value policy. Approximate cost was 1% of my Interstate's purchase price, per year. That lasted for two years, until for no apparent reason they decided to almost double my rates.

I now insure through Progressive, and have the same agreed-value policy except with triple the liability coverage, for the same price that National General first charged me, about 1% of the Interstate's purchase price.

I didn't even consider an RV storage option, because living along the Gulf Coast where campgrounds are open year-round, I knew I'd never have a 30-day period where I wasn't camping somewhere.
I was thinking that they were trying to recoup some of their payout on your break in until UKDUDE posted.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I had the same experience with National General. But I shop insurance once a year and National General always finds a way to beat my new quotes.
DaKarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I been an Insurance agent & Broker over 40 years and National General is the deal, I pay $54.00 a month w/ $1000 ded.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My advice is to read the fine print closely and make sure you have an agreed value policy.

Progressive (which my husband already had for car and motorbike) was happy to write us a policy but would only insure us for something akin to Blue Book value, which was about 50% of what we paid for our rig. Even though I was within 30 days of purchase and had a receipt, Progressive would not do agreed value. Or they said they would, but the customer service was so bad that they quite literally never got around to executing it, so after a month of constant telephone run-around, I just gave up.

So I called Good Sam, but Good Sam defaulted to an independent agent, who in turn wrote an Allied policy (but the names CWI Inc Insurance of Ohio and Colonial County Insurance Company of Iowa are also on the policy face... what a racket).

The Allied policy is set to renew in 1 month and I can see from my internet login that they are indeed intent on raising our price considerably, which means I might start calling around to some of these other suggestions in this thread. And for those I thank you.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
...You can get a quote by calling Ron Jarvie @ 480-994-9584.
I just got off the phone with this guy, and I decided to go with him for my next renewal. He will take the time to explain any insurance policy pro and con that you want to hear about.

From what he was telling me, I suspect there's a lot of apples and oranges type of numbers on this thread. Apparently insurance rates are extremely dependent on what's going on in any given state (all 49 of them - Hawaii does not allow RVs) at any given time. So it's not possible to compare a rate in Florida to one in South Carolina. None of it makes any logical sense. Apparently the RV insurance rates in California are among the lowest in the nation right now (who would have guessed?).

Additionally, as I noted above, hubster and I decided when we bought our Interstate that we wanted an agreed value policy because, when we started digging into the details, the cash value option made no logical sense to us. The stated cash values (you have to ask for them) didn't even remotely reflect our actual purchase price. In our case, any write-off would amount to an outright loss of investment because we did not finance. The example that Mr. Jarvie gave me was analogous in that, in the wrong set of circumstances, with a cash value policy, an owner could have a write-off wreck and be upside down to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars on what they owe their bank if they heavily financed their Interstate. Personally I don't see where that risk would be worth it for the sake of saving a few hundred bucks a year, but not everyone reaches the same conclusion, I realize. It's that whole risk tolerance thing.

Not unexpectedly, though, there's greater price hostility toward agreed value policies. In the past year, Texas had a rate hike that disproportionately impacted that type of policy, he said. Hence my distaste when viewing my coming-due bill with my existing provider.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
In CA at least, our National General policy has a 2 year replacement provision. In the event of a total loss, you get a brand new replacement regardless of MSRP. After that mine is agreed value based on what I paid.

Now, I will wait and see if they try to raise rates on me after 2 years.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #16
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Brian - "The one advantage to having this insurance with Liberty Mutual is that our $1M umbrella also applies to this policy."

You may want to double check with your agent; most umbrella policies cover you whether your trailer coverage is with the same carrier or not as long as the alternate carrier's policy has matching or greater liability, etc. thresholds (in the fine print). If it doesn't, you may also want to re-evaluate that policy expense while you are at it.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Five stars for Geico for my coverage as well. It was much less, covered more, and they have great customer service.

I had Progressive until I checked the prices and also saw a news story where there was some doubt whether the insured or the other driver, driving under suspension and uninsured, ran the light, killing the insured. They chose to defend the uninsured driver instead of paying the claim. And lost, with the jury finding the insured was not at fault.

That did it for me with Progressive. When the company you are paying premiums to would rather pay lawyers to defend the other driver than pay your claim, just because it is absolutely not 100% provable who was at fault, you know you need to find another company to pay your money for premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
That seems like a great price. What contents coverage do you have and is it free replacement for xx/years or agreed value?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
First off, there are 49 different sets of rules on insurance coverage and to compare rates is a real apples to oranges exercise. My umbrella policy DOES NOT COVER vehicles with another carrier. Collector cars insured by Hagerty are not covered by my Encompass policy. Same goes for RV's insured by another carrier. I have a second home in California along with a boat. Totally different policy with another umbrella policy.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am with GEICO and have an agreed value policy. No complaints. Also a full timer.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I am with GEICO and have an agreed value policy. No complaints. Also a full timer.
Scratching the itch of curiosity…

As a full-timer, what do you use as your domicile address for insurance, driver's license, taxation, and jury duty purposes? Some full-timers I know use a relative's address, others use Escapees.