Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
In CA at least, our National General policy has a 2 year replacement provision. In the event of a total loss, you get a brand new replacement regardless of MSRP. After that mine is agreed value based on what I paid.

Now, I will wait and see if they try to raise rates on me after 2 years.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 AM   #16
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Brian - "The one advantage to having this insurance with Liberty Mutual is that our $1M umbrella also applies to this policy."

You may want to double check with your agent; most umbrella policies cover you whether your trailer coverage is with the same carrier or not as long as the alternate carrier's policy has matching or greater liability, etc. thresholds (in the fine print). If it doesn't, you may also want to re-evaluate that policy expense while you are at it.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Five stars for Geico for my coverage as well. It was much less, covered more, and they have great customer service.

I had Progressive until I checked the prices and also saw a news story where there was some doubt whether the insured or the other driver, driving under suspension and uninsured, ran the light, killing the insured. They chose to defend the uninsured driver instead of paying the claim. And lost, with the jury finding the insured was not at fault.

That did it for me with Progressive. When the company you are paying premiums to would rather pay lawyers to defend the other driver than pay your claim, just because it is absolutely not 100% provable who was at fault, you know you need to find another company to pay your money for premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
That seems like a great price. What contents coverage do you have and is it free replacement for xx/years or agreed value?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
First off, there are 49 different sets of rules on insurance coverage and to compare rates is a real apples to oranges exercise. My umbrella policy DOES NOT COVER vehicles with another carrier. Collector cars insured by Hagerty are not covered by my Encompass policy. Same goes for RV's insured by another carrier. I have a second home in California along with a boat. Totally different policy with another umbrella policy.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #19
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am with GEICO and have an agreed value policy. No complaints. Also a full timer.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I am with GEICO and have an agreed value policy. No complaints. Also a full timer.
Scratching the itch of curiosity…

As a full-timer, what do you use as your domicile address for insurance, driver's license, taxation, and jury duty purposes? Some full-timers I know use a relative's address, others use Escapees.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #21
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I became a South Dakota resident with drivers license. My address is an RV park which SD is aware of and they have no problems with it. No state income tax and 3-5% sales tax. Solved a lot of problems. The only requirement at the time is that I show a receipt showing that I spent 1 night in SD. I have saved a bundles on auto licensing and Auto/Airstream sales taxes. (compared to CA which is where I originated)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Progressive RV Insurance

I researched the different companies and ended up going with Progressive. Total cost for the year with the more high-end liability coverages (250/500/100) and low deductibles ($250) was only $656. My policy with Liberty Mutual was $2,347/yr, so quite a savings. Thanks to all for their recommendations.

GEICO was very competitive as well, $670/yr., but not quite the same level of coverage as Progressive. In addition, Progressive let me do everything online, while GEICO had to respond via e-mail with a quote (I guess that maybe they are having a human look at it first). And yes, I do realize that RV insurance varies greatly from state to state, based on planned usage and the driver history (neither of us have had any accidents in the past 5 years).

I checked with Liberty Mutual and the RV will be covered under our $1M umbrella policy as long as the same coverages are being used (hence the more high end coverage).

Thanks to all for your feedback. I know it sounds like a commercial, but I just saved a whole bunch of money by switching...
Old 02-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
I am getting close to renewal time with State Farm and looking at changing for the Interstate in order to get replacement type. State Farm does not offer. Have sent in quotes for Progressive and GEICO. Does anyone have any experience with claims and how either one of these handle claims?
Old 02-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I have been with Progressive since 1998 and they have always been great to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Scratching the itch of curiosity…

As a full-timer, what do you use as your domicile address for insurance, driver's license, taxation, and jury duty purposes? Some full-timers I know use a relative's address, others use Escapees.
Some workampers use Escapees Livingston Texas because of the lack of state income tax here. I met a workamper recently who did that... apparently if you are full-timer who hasn't otherwise established residency in Texas there may be a hoop or two to jump through. When I told him I had a full-timer policy even though I don't live in my rig full time, he said, "You are lucky that you already live in Texas" because of course I use my stick and brick address.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
You should ck out National General Insurance.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
TRY Tobin RV Insurance 1800-759-6321, been in business since 1975, they specialize in RV Insurance. Be cautious with the auto insurance companies..
Good Luck