Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Here's a complete kit for an engine mounted generator... I'd still have MB install it and enable the fast idle option... http://www.unipower.com.au/download/...0_Brochure.pdf
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
and yes, its OK to fast idle the engine while using... its designed for contractors work vans. RT offers it as an option on certain E-Trek combos.
Be very careful about the fast idle thing. It is by no means clear that long-term use is safe for your engine, even with the fast idle option. A web search will reveal that there is much controversy on this topic. Apparently MB recommends against idling for more than 3 hours without driving the vehicle. See, for example:

New Roadtrek RS E-Trek • Class B RV and Camper Van Discussion Forum
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:

Surprised no one has suggested adding the 3500 Watt MB engine mounted generator. An easy upgrade that utilizes the existing engine power and diesel fuel. I'd favor that over a separate externally carried generator. You still need a good inverter to use the AC, but certainly do-able. Any MB dealer can add it as an aftermarket item, and yes, its OK to fast idle the engine while using... its designed for contractors work vans. RT offers it as an option on certain E-Trek combos.

Is this the secondary alternator your speaking of?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Any MB dealer can add it as an aftermarket item,
In my experience, the MB dealers I'm familiar with would refer you to an up-fitter instead, because they wouldn't want the liability of making modifications to your electrical system.

I tried to have an auxiliary chassis battery installed under the hood— not even a second alternator— and that was their response… "We don't do that. Go to an up-fitter. No we can't recommend an up-fitter; you'll have to find your own."
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Protag, time to find another dealer. I am a repeat buyer of MB products and on very good terms with my local dealer. They have a preferred upfitter as they are a reseller of their products. The mounting bracket and belts are all genuine MB parts... and there is an existing service guide for it. Why would they not install it?

As for the issue of running in idle, the original poster wanted something along the lines of a battery array for running AC. RT claims they can recharge an array in a few hours through a proprietary system. I don't think its that hard to do. And if you are on the road regularly, you can do this while traveling. Besides, most Sprinter RVs don't see that many miles in their lifetimes so a bit more hours on an engine is insignificant. Diesels love to rev long hours and without that much load. Ask me, I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on my MB Diesel cars.

As far as putting a genny on a hitch platform on the back along with a fuel reserve, NO THANKS! There are way too many rear end collisions these days with Truck driver fatigue related accidents on the rise. I personally knew of a couple headed West on I-80 in Nebraska who were driving separate cars with their kids and dogs... They got on the Interstate after refuelling at 6 am and had to stop as traffic was backed up from a prior accident. A trucker came along and rear-ended both cars simultaneously and they all died instantly in a huge fireball.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
There was a suggestion that we wait for availability of a Tesla battery pack. Light and powerful. At least one Sprinter conversion company offers Lithium Ion batteries as an alternative, but if you really want Tesla, go with the new MB B-Class electric drive car with a Tesla built drivetrain. I am looking at it as a toad for my RT. Would require a dolly but no big deal... it is FWD. It has a best in class 36 kWh Battery pack. Now all we need to do is work on a solution for tapping that reserve when you want the juice to run stuff in your RV.

Others are looking at how we might supplement the grid by tapping EVs sitting in folks garages during peak hours. Not a bad idea! At 36kWH it is comparable to the output of my 7.8 kW solar array. I am averaging about that much on a daily basis this summer.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #27
Dharma Wheels Cyclery

2014 16' Sport
Santa Clara , Utah
Do a generator

Howdy.

My wife and I looked around and have tried lots of ways to run our 11,000 AC unit (for 16' bambi) to run without a large generator.

At first, you may look at a Goal Zero Yeti 1250 with 4 panels and a tripod. This is a great setup and one that we use often. When you run the fridge off gas, you'll have sustainable power if its sunny.
But no A/C.

If you want to upgrade....I recommend the Honda 2000 watt genny with the 30 amp in. Total output is just under 13 amps. Its quiet and you can juice up the goal zero or just run it when you need power for the microwave etc in the coach....but even with a hard start capacitor in the AC....its not enough to power the A/C by itself. It'll cycle on once, but ther Herm still doesn't have enough juice (needs 20 Amps I think) to cycle on and off.

2 honda 2000's run together is the ticket if you need A/C......we've looked around and that seems to be the only real solution. Hope our story helped.
ridensmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
See post 9 above.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Honda EU3000 Is What You Need!

Lewster is THE MAN! when it comes to this stuff.

OK, long story short: Get yourself a Honda EU3000 generator. It's an inverter type so it's quiet. Nobody will take a hammer to your spark plug. It will run your a/c. The End.

Me, I use an EU2000 Honda. It runs everything but the a/c. I plan to eventually buy a second one (this might be an option for you to consider) and parallel them together so I can run everything with the a/c. I have not boondocked in the summer when it was so hot that I had to have a/c...the 2000 runs the vents just great and that has been fine for us. Some day I will get a second EU2000....but for you, I'd just get an EU3000 and call it done.

Are inverter generators cheap? No. Do they work well? Yes!

Go buy an EU3000, keep yourself cool at night, don't make the natives mad with loud noise, and be happy.

Cheers,
Old 07-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are evaporative cooling units that work very will in dry climates and they don't use much power. They would work out west but not so much where the humidity is high. I think this is your only hope for AC on batteries.

Evaporative cooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote