Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Routing wires

About ready to install my Blue Sea BIM. In the 2014.5, the electricals were in the middle of the aisle and it was fairly easy to run wires to the panel in the upper cabinet. In the 2018, I want to put the remote switch in the panel behind the driver with the touch panel. That makes routing a bit harder.

I decided to use a 25' hank of 4-wire trailer wiring that I had in the shop. This provides good, stout color coded wires.

I was able to easily pass the wire end from the front cabinet, over the wardrobe and into the plenum above the refrigerator.

I dropped the two bathroom ceiling lights and the trim on the bathroom fan. The fan opening gave me really good access to the area above the bathroom. I put a lead weight on the end of the wires and pushed the weight into the corner where the vent pipe comes up. From there, it dropped into the area behind the sink where it was easy to lead it into the electricals area.

The only thing that dismayed me was the total lack of insulation above the bathroom. There was a thin mat at both lights, but there was a very large area covering most of the ceiling that was totally void of insulation. No wonder the bathroom gets hot/cold!

I'll stop at HD and buy some 'glass before I put things back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_100426.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	343234  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
This is very valuable information! Thank you.

I was trying to figure out how to wire and install the bathroom light that will be controlled by a motion sensor. Now I know!

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Pahaska, when you wire your new BIM, will you disconnect/disable the pushbutton chassis dash switch?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Pahaska, when you wire your new BIM, will you disconnect/disable the push button chassis dash switch?
It will be disabled. I just left it disconnected in the 2014, as well. With the remote switch right behind the driver's seat, that will be convenient to perform the function of the dash switch if needed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Electrical venting

My twin bed conversion eliminated the already poor venting for heat produced by the electronics under the roadside jump seat.

Airstream heat venting is consistently poor. I had to add both upper and lower vents in my 2014 to get the fridge to operate well. There was no lower vent and the upper vent was poorly located and obstructed. They have the upper-cabinet microwave in the new 19 jammed hard against a cabinet wall while the microwave specs call for several inches of space.

Today, I put in some upper venting for the jump seat electricals. I had the access panel off to run wires, so I installed three 2" louvered vents in the panel. The under-sink area is open to the electrical area.

Next job is to install some lower vents.

Notice the on-off switch above the USB charger. I replaced all three of the original chargers with fast chargers after two of the three Airstream-installed chargers failed in the first couple of days while charging my Samsung S10 Note. I keep the chargers switched off to reduce parasitic draw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vented panel.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	343350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vented wall.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	343351  

WBCCI #9632
Old 06-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Pahaska, Do you have the part number or link to the acrylic boxes you have attached in the photo? I like that set up.
Mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Pahaska, Do you have the part number or link to the acrylic boxes you have attached in the photo? I like that set up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in 1, 2, or 3 bin sizes. I have a 2 and a 3 at desk level on the wall behind the driver's seat for remotes, pencils, etc.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Contributing Member

The wires are run. The Blue Sea remote switch is installed, laying sideways because of space available, immediately below the Magnum remote display.

I moved the Magnum inverter forward a couple of inches to allow maximum room to install the Blue Sea BIM.

Tomorrow is not available, so I will be at the rig early Monday morning, while it is cool, to rip out the old BIM and install the Blue Sea replacement.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Ml-ACR Installed

The new battery manager is installed and tested. The remote switch is below the Magnum remote in the cabinet above the driver's left ear.

Because of limited space available, I installed the switch horizontally. I get access to the electrical area through a large marine deck hatch set in the RS twin bed. I bend the mattress back and swing the TV out as a prop. I have a similar, smaller hatch in the CS twin bed to reach the wiring and the area where I removed the sub-woofer.

The ML-ACR is a very tight fit in the space available and its position is very limited by the stiff cables. I put it in at an angle for a better fit.

All connections are made on a terminal block stuck to the top of the Magnum with a scrap of VHB tape. The 12-position block was all I had laying around, so there is plenty of space for later changes. Connections follow the resistor color code I learned in RADAR school in 1951. The (rather nasty) mnemonic is etched in my brain "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly." Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, etc. I still need to tidy up the wiring a bit.

While I was at it, I added some lower ventilation to the electrical area. I put 2 2" vents in the door and 2 vents in the inner partition. Along with the vents I earlier put in the bathroom wall, this provides some needed ventilation for the Magnum. I ran out of brown vents, but the lone white vent is hidden from view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ML-ACR.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	343833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door vents.jpg
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	343834  

Name:	Door vents 2.jpg
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	343835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner vents.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	343836  

WBCCI #9632
Old 06-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The new battery manager is installed and tested. The remote switch is below the Magnum remote in the cabinet above the driver's left ear.

Because of limited space available, I installed the switch horizontally. I get access to the electrical area through a large marine deck hatch set in the RS twin bed. I bend the mattress back and swing the TV out as a prop. I have a similar, smaller hatch in the CS twin bed to reach the wiring and the area where I removed the sub-woofer.

The ML-ACR is a very tight fit in the space available and its position is very limited by the stiff cables. I put it in at an angle for a better fit.

All connections are made on a terminal block stuck to the top of the Magnum with a scrap of VHB tape. The 12-position block was all I had laying around, so there is plenty of space for later changes. Connections follow the resistor color code I learned in RADAR school in 1951. The (rather nasty) mnemonic is etched in my brain "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly." Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, etc. I still need to tidy up the wiring a bit.

While I was at it, I added some lower ventilation to the electrical area. I put 2 2" vents in the door and 2 vents in the inner partition. Along with the vents I earlier put in the bathroom wall, this provides some needed ventilation for the Magnum. I ran out of brown vents, but the lone white vent is hidden from view.
JOHN - Nice job, lots of work for sure. I do not understand the side vents and it would very difficult for me to accept putting vent holes on any of my doors. Easier to tolerate on fixed wall panels. Did you deem the AI topside screen mesh was not adequate ventilation (I strongly believe it is lacking) and/or did you also lose that screen mesh in converting to the marine hatch topside?
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Did you deem the AI topside screen mesh was not adequate ventilation (I strongly believe it is lacking) and/or did you also lose that screen mesh in converting to the marine hatch topside?
I lost the mesh when I converted to twin beds. 3/4" plywood bed platform, covered by 7" of mattress doesn't vent very well. The marine hatch is my way to reach the electrical stuff for service. I just move the mattress out of the way.

The vents in the lower door are invisible unless I get down on my knees. The door is well hidden under the overhang of the bed.

I wonder what Airstream does in the factory twin bed models. I don't see any obvious provision for venting on the drawings in the parts manual.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
I lost the mesh when I converted to twin beds. 3/4" plywood bed platform, covered by 7" of mattress doesn't vent very well. The marine hatch is my way to reach the electrical stuff for service. I just move the mattress out of the way.

The vents in the lower door are invisible unless I get down on my knees. The door is well hidden under the overhang of the bed.

I wonder what Airstream does in the factory twin bed models. I don't sere any obvious provision for venting on the drawings in the parts manual.
JOHN - I thought so, that you lost the mesh during conversion. Even with my mesh I have, considering my Magnum fire scenario, I still believe its inadequate. I just have not figured out where to add vents, enlarge the current 2 side vents, enhance the mesh with active fans, or all of above.

BTW, you are right, good point, with the twin beds, you wont even see the vents, even down on your knees, hard to notice. Compared to lounge where it is visible until jacknife is flat.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Twin bed venting

I checked the 2018 parts book and found vents from the electrical area that appear to go from that area into the cavity below the rear side RS window. I don't like this because it is venting into a very hot area with the sun on the side of the AI. With the blinds down, there would be appreciable blockage. I can find no part numbers for the vents themselves. They must only come as part of the assembly.

I like my 3 vents higher up on the bathroom access panel a lot better. They vent into a cooler area and the higher the top vents, the more adiabatic air flow. I can always add more matching vents if needed.

I am going to place my data logger on the Magnum for a few days with power on in storage and see what the temperatures in that area are with outside temps at about 100 in the afternoon this week. I do keep the vent fan running on automatic to keep some air circulating in the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Twin vents.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	343859  
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
They must only come as part of the assembly.
JOHN - Kept scratching my head wondering that diagram does not look like anything on mine until I realized you have the GT . Yes, after looking at the correct diagram and parts breakdown, looks like it is part of the assembly
Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Magnum temperatures

Our daily high temperatures have been in the high 90s with lows in the mid-to-high 70s. The AI has been constantly powered up with the ceiling fan set to 85 degrees on automatic. The AI is totally in the shade after about 10 am. Before that, the front 6' gets appreciable sun.

Prior entries in this thread show the vents that I added to better ventilate the electronics under the RS twin bed..

I placed my temperature logger on top of the Magnum for several days to see whether my addition of low and high venting is effective. The temperature trace is attached. There was no airflow around the Magnum other than adiabatic flow through the vents.

The high peak is the effect of me spending some time in the AI with the TV, my built-in Atom computer, and the AC and lights on. That was the only time the Magnum temperature rose above just nice and warm. The top temperature was leveling off at 115 degrees, which I consider very safe.

I conclude that the venting is now very effective.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Magnum temps.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	346156  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
The high peak is the effect of me spending some time in the AI with the TV, my built-in Atom computer, and the AC and lights on. That was the only time the Magnum temperature rose above just nice and warm. The top temperature was leveling off at 115 degrees, which I consider very safe.
JOHN - Your high temp of 115 is my normal inside ambient temp in AI with it closed up inside the garage. I haven't measured my Magnum temp this year, which I don't doubt I will consider very UNSAFE PS, it was 109 in Vegas today at 4pm. Glad I was up in the mtns. and wasn't home in the valley.

EDIT - last year's Magnum casing temp 118.8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190716_195911.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	346855