Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Strafford , Missouri
Roof vent rattles

Just returned from a 4700 mile trip with son, daughter-in-law and their 5 children (4 years to 14).
Great trip...last day we logged 700+ miles as we needed to get home.
What a way to travel! Love the Interstate.
The only issue we had was rattles from the roof vent. Tried everything to quiet it but with no luck.
Has anyone else had similar problems or do I just have a problem vent in need of repair or replacement?
Dosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
When you say you tried everything, I'm assuming you had it full open and full closed. I find our loud if I don't have it at one if the stops. Partly open causes it to rattle as the lid bounces up and down. Other then that I haven't had any issues with mine.

FYI, its the early 2013 model. I'm not sure if they always use the same maker
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
When mine is closed with tension on it the mechanism still rattles. Looking at it, it seems like a design flaw not a defect.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Mine is a MaxxAir MaxxFan, manual-opening, exhaust only. I forget the model number.

The only problem I had with mine is that the knob that raises and lowers the cover stripped out, so that it would turn and the cover wouldn't move. THAT rattled, until I got it fixed. Had to replace two parts at a cost of about $15, and problem fixed. To make sure the same thing doesn't happen to you, don't crank it down too tightly. I gave mine a right proper twist when I was gearing up for hurricane Isaac last year, thinking tighter is always better. Not so. Turns out I stripped out the worm gear on the inner end of the knob's shaft. It's only made of pot-metal, and strips out easily.

Anyway, thanks to the built-in rain hood, the cover only has to be barely finger-tight when closed, not cranked down hard, even when preparing for major storms. Wish I'd known then…

Mine doesn't rattle anymore in any position, up down, or in-between. When stored (and I'm not expecting a hurricane) I keep it partially open to vent heat and/or control condensation. Camping, it's fully open and tunning at whatever speed seems most appropriate (with the AC on, it's open with the fan turned off). Driving down the road, it's usually fully closed to minimize road noise, but I have driven with it open a few times. Didn't rattle then, either; I just didn't like the sound the slipstream makes blowing around it.