Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Muncie , Indiana
Roof Vent Leak

After leaving the AI parked for a few days, during which we had some heavy rains, I notice water on the floor when I opened the side door. Looked up and say dripping from the white roof exhaust fan surround. Checked on the roof (see pic) and it looks as if water may be pooling and flowing over the plastic flange. Since the van was parked with the front slightly down hill, I've since elevated the front with leveling blocks, but this still worries me. Has anyone else experienced this - what what did you do to remedy the situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	272824  

badmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The least I would do is clean off the old sealant and redo it with Dicor self leveling caulk.

CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Might take off the inside surround to see if you can detect where it's coming in. Might just be able to re-caulk that area rather than the whole fan.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Clean all of that black goop off, seal the seam with ParBond, and cover that with Eternabond tape. Make sure you clean the area well before applying the tape. You won't have to worry about leaks for a LONG time.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
I'm having a similar issue. Going to try and find the source and make the necessary repairs.
ofdcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Muncie , Indiana
Ofdcb - interested to know what you do.
badmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Leaking around the vent fan is not only common, it is almost inevitable, and very likely stems from an install issue at the factory.

Take it all off, down to the roof, to see what the cause is, then replace and recaulk.

I could describe what Doug found when he removed ours, also the leaking black tank vent, but it is too early in the morning to get my blood pressure up.

Fantastic Fan is great to deal with, and will promptly send you any replacement parts you need....then walk you thru it while on the roof, if that is needed.

Good luck.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I had the same problem.. Mine was still under warranty and I took it in.. The service guy said that the sealant that airstream used just wiped away.. He put some new sealant but I guess it was not enough, it leaked again a few weeks later.. Took it back they added more and I've not had a problem since..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
Formerly FreshAir44
2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Agree - that was the recommendation of my Airstream Dealer Service Department too. The website has videos on repair techniques:

FOILED is offline   Reply With Quote