Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If possible to place moth balls. I use them in swim pool heater after swim season done, before mice ate and made nests in heater, now no more

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
1995 34' Limited
Ft. Necessity , Louisiana
I have been struck by rodents and really didn't know that would be a problem. Spent a lot of money getting the engine repaired.

123pat.buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Been using sonic devices and Bounce mice since, but just found a place on the firewall that has been chewed on......darn!!!
FMCA # 436814
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I realize this thread is primarily about rodent issues in front of the firewall, but there's a potential for interior intrusion as well, as one of the recent trailer threads confirmed.

On that trailer thread, it appeared as if some folks had never heard of copper wool. We use it in the south to prevent rodent penetration of slab-on-grade homes. The two most common applications are brick facade weep hole stuffing (some improperly-constructed weep holes are wide enough to allow mice in, but the air has to keep flowing through those holes, so the wool blocks the mice while still allowing ventilation) and packing of the wall penetration where the A/C lines extend to the exterior components.

This past weekend, I took inventory of our Interstate rear of the engine compartment. My husband had foam-sealed all the penetrations for the gray water system when we replaced that plumbing last year, and I saw no evidence of chewing, so I left that work alone. The only other area of concern was at the black tank line, where a large gap exists (why Airstream cut it that size is a mystery; the shower drain opening is more befitting its pipe). The pic collage shows the wool stuffing process. This penetration is also where my husband runs any lines that have to go under the chassis, so it's best not to seal it with foam. If he needs to run another line in the future, he can take a needle-nose pliers and tug the copper back out.

I don't know if this idea would have application in the other areas of the Interstate where rodent problems have been reported. Remember, copper is superbly conductive, and it might cause an electrical short if used in the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	45
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	251849  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Put a salt lick for the critters about 50' away from your parking spot, they lick the salt block and will( should) leave your salty wiring alone...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Moving a vehicle around seems to help a great deal to discourage rodents.
Wish that was true for my Fit toad and daily driver(every few days). Mouse decided it needed a snack, chewed past plastic air intake flap(3x6x0.1) and due to having outside air open, it found sealed granola bars left in drivers door catchall shelf opened both and set up housekeeping on the air filter. Friends Honda wagon they setup and also chewed wires.
Now keep air vent closed, no food, peppermint oil drops on cottonball in motor area.
Have been seeing a feral cat, owl, and hawk around property, so critters do have to find a safe place to nest, hopefully not in my vehicles or house.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm knocking wood like my knuckles might split, but I'm at a complete loss as to why we haven't had rodent problems in our Interstate. I don't know about a salt lick, but I do keep a commercial-grade bait station in our storage unit. Five more bait stations surround our house. We are constantly finding rodent carcasses. That's just the way things are in Houston.

I'm a fan of Lou Manfredini. He recommends a product called Mouse Magic. The reviews are mixed, but where negative reviews are rendered, there seems to be a correlation with reports of food being pilfered. I am guessing that, if food is present, nothing short of a flame-thrower is going to serve as a deterrent. But if there is absolutely no food, then the scented repellents might have a chance of working.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote