Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question Road trip planner - recommendations?

Well...I have been searching for an App that will help us put together our trips.

For example, we want to go to Missouri and would like to find out what to see on the way there, where to stop to rest/sleep...and the same information for the trip back if we take a different route...

Is there something that you can recommend??

I can’t tell what is good or worthless from my search results.

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I use RVtripwizard. The maps stay current and most RV parks and POI are there.

I just used it for our trip to Alumapalooza and my side trip to the AF Museum with a different route home.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Orlando , Florida
John, thank you.

They don’t have an App, correct? Looks like it needs to be use with full browser.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I run it on my laptop, desktop and smartphone. The version in the smartphone web browser is customized for mobile use. I find it easier to create trips on a PC because it is easier to work with multiple tabs as you explore places to stay and things to do as you create the trip. I just finished putting together 4 back to back trips which will cover 120+ nights on the road and around 10K miles.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #5

Orlando , Florida
Okay then. 39.00 for a year subscription. On the notebook now...

Thank you!!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Orlando , Florida
Need to play more with it... can't get it to show attractions or cool stuff to see while we get to our destination... you know, like the largest ball of yarn in route to where we are going... things like that...

But we were able to map the route and select the campgrounds to sleep... that was easy.

Thanks again!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Need to play more with it... can't get it to show attractions or cool stuff to see while we get to our destination... you know, like the largest ball of yarn in route to where we are going... things like that...

But we were able to map the route and select the campgrounds to sleep... that was easy.

Thanks again!
I could not resist...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170424_135931758.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	313385   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO_20170424_135839.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	313386  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
What we did on our recent trip was not plan out too far at all.
Generally, after stopping for the night, the next day by noon or so we would think about perhaps how far to go (unless there was a specific destination).
So bobbi would open up ‘AllStays’ or sometimes ‘Ultimate CG’ and look for a place that I thought I could drive to without being too late. (Usually AllStays, Ultimate is Better for ‘off grid’ free type places to park.).

I like having some idea where to stay before too late in the day, it just makes it easier for me and nice to stop before too late in the day.
She could reserve a spot online (if it worked) or call. Often it was ‘first come first serve’- but they would give an idea of how many people were there. It was fairly early in the year so rearely were things too full.

Only a few times did we do the ‘Walmart parking lot’ thing. I have no desire to hang out at Parking lots- I’d rather be someplace nice. So like to look for Federal, State, County or City parks. Commercial ones are last on the list.

That method may not work for you (limited time etc) but it worked out quite well for the trip.

AllStays allows filtering- making it easier to see places further out.

A bunch of the ones we stayed at gave ‘old gezzer’ Discounts and we don’t have any other memberships etc.

mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
To the extent possible, my trip planning device is called an LB_3 (current build version = 44), which interfaces surgically and seamlessly with an iPhone 6 Plus, which has an unlimited data plan. The device approximates artificial intelligence and has an impressive ability to comb through huge volumes of travel-related data in real time.

Even before we had our Interstate and were traveling by minivan, the device managed to accomplish an on-the-fly navigation, dog-friendly hotel bookings, and sight-seeing six thousand miles to Nova Scotia and back, including side trips through downtown Chattanooga (worth seeing!), Joel Salatin's Polyface Farms in rural Swoope, Virginia (one of a kind), and an unscheduled 3-day diversion to Manhattan (teenager's priority).

Unfortunately there's no commercially-available version of this device, although a partial database extraction that was downloadable into our Garmin did successfully route me through five solo boondocking overnights en route to Nova Scotia last year.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #10

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I could not resist...
That is what I am talking about!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #11

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
To the extent possible, my trip planning device is called an LB_3 (current build version = 44), which interfaces surgically and seamlessly with an iPhone 6 Plus, which has an unlimited data plan. The device approximates artificial intelligence and has an impressive ability to comb through huge volumes of travel-related data in real time.

Even before we had our Interstate and were traveling by minivan, the device managed to accomplish an on-the-fly navigation, dog-friendly hotel bookings, and sight-seeing six thousand miles to Nova Scotia and back, including side trips through downtown Chattanooga (worth seeing!), Joel Salatin's Polyface Farms in rural Swoope, Virginia (one of a kind), and an unscheduled 3-day diversion to Manhattan (teenager's priority).

Unfortunately there's no commercially-available version of this device, although a partial database extraction that was downloadable into our Garmin did successfully route me through five solo boondocking overnights en route to Nova Scotia last year.
I just want to say "Francesca, I want to go to Missouri, please schedule all stops maximizing ability to see as many attractions as possible, get us tickets for those that require it, make reservations at sites that are 8 hours of driving distance apart, clear the traffic, prepare my espresso in the morning, and carry me to bed"... Is that too much to ask?

The RV Trip Wizard should work for us... not knowing anything, we will have to start to google for attractions and mark those in the route... maybe there is a book available that we can take with us... I saw Michael (the Archangel) had one during his trip... time to look it up in Amazon...
Attached Images

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #12

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
What we did on our recent trip was not plan out too far at all.
Generally, after stopping for the night, the next day by noon or so we would think about perhaps how far to go (unless there was a specific destination).
So bobbi would open up ‘AllStays’ or sometimes ‘Ultimate CG’ and look for a place that I thought I could drive to without being too late. (Usually AllStays, Ultimate is Better for ‘off grid’ free type places to park.).

I like having some idea where to stay before too late in the day, it just makes it easier for me and nice to stop before too late in the day.
She could reserve a spot online (if it worked) or call. Often it was ‘first come first serve’- but they would give an idea of how many people were there. It was fairly early in the year so rearely were things too full.

Only a few times did we do the ‘Walmart parking lot’ thing. I have no desire to hang out at Parking lots- I’d rather be someplace nice. So like to look for Federal, State, County or City parks. Commercial ones are last on the list.

That method may not work for you (limited time etc) but it worked out quite well for the trip.

AllStays allows filtering- making it easier to see places further out.

A bunch of the ones we stayed at gave ‘old gezzer’ Discounts and we don’t have any other memberships etc.

mark
Mark,

As you know, we are just starting... staying in a parking lot scares the heck out of us... we will get over that for sure... Having all planned out and reservations made, provides some level of tranquility to my wife... She is not ready for heading out and playing it by ear or getting/finding a spot as we go... Baby steps, baby steps
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Mark,

As you know, we are just starting... staying in a parking lot scares the heck out of us... we will get over that for sure... Having all planned out and reservations made, provides some level of tranquility to my wife... She is not ready for heading out and playing it by ear or getting/finding a spot as we go... Baby steps, baby steps
When we started traveling in our first RV in 2002, this was us, and I think it is a needed and common place for newbies to begin, when the security of knowing where you are going to stay at night is critical.

It was years before we tried dry camping, tho we were working and just vacationing til 2007, and by then we had the Interstate.

Winging it for most of us doesn’t become a viable option until you have some miles under your belt, and depending on the when and where it may not be an option at all.

When you are ready, I think it is really important to experience relying totally on your rig for an overnight... whether that is in a WalMart parking lot or federal campsite with no hookups.

About 4-5 years into Interstate ownership, we spent about a month roaming the Rockies, staying in NP, no hookup sites, to see the Rockies but also to hone our dry camping/boondocking skills.

It is a leap of faith, but an important skill, and one you may need in an emergency, which is not necessarily the best time to learn.

I recommend you just do it...when you are ready.

Maggie
Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
We usually stay at Wal-Marts when traveling from A to B. For us points A and B are most often national parks. We had concerns only one time, and moved on to a Interstate rest area that one time. We use RV Parky to find our stops.

When point A or B is a large city that we want to visit we pick a WalMart on the outskirts of the city and take a train into the city for the day. We have stayed at a commercial campground only a handful of times - they are just not our cup of tea. The amenities are (usually) nice - showers, laundry, etc. But other than that they do not interest us. Unless we need a shower, dump-station, electricity (cold weather) or laundry facilities we'd prefer to disperse camp in a nat'l forest.

RV Parky has 'official' NFS campgrounds - which we have used a few times. We especially use NFS campgrounds that border national parks - if we are arriving at the Nat'l park late in the day. We seldom make nat'l park CG reservations since we don't want to be committed to a defined time/place. That reminds me too much of work.

Titus is offline   Reply With Quote