Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Travelling tomorrow...will put things into the wheel well space to see if the noise is affected....let you know.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Does the noise change when you go from loaded drive train (accelerating) to unloaded (coasting) to level road @ constant speed?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
No. It only happens when a gear change happens. For instance, traveling along a flat road at 70 mph produces no unusual noises/sounds. However, the minute you start up a hill and the transmission shifts from drive to next lower gear (4 or 5??) (about 2700 rpm), a loud noise emanates from the rear end and remains as long as you are in that gear at that rpm (speed). IF you go slower, sound disappears.

Going to pack the wheel wells with U Haul packing blankets to see if that helps.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
So it only happens when the drivetrain is more heavily loaded such as going up hill.

What about when accelerating from a stop?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Ok traveling now. Does do it for brief instant getting going. We are in rolling hills. No downshift required to make noise at 68 mph. Need to turn my iPhone into sound level meter. Everyone try this Set cruise for 70 mph. Tune your ear to cruise sound level. Now go up a hill and see if your hearing notices a change in sound level. Much more noticeable in back seat.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Will try to check on our trip next week.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #47
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
Everyone try this Set cruise for 70 mph. Tune your ear to cruise sound level. Now go up a hill and see if your hearing notices a change in sound level. Much more noticeable in back seat.
You've got both a speedometer and a tachometer in the dashboard. See if the noise coincides with a specific engine RPM, regardless of your speed, or if instead it happens at a specific speed regardless of engine RPM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

You've got both a speedometer and a tachometer in the dashboard. See if the noise coincides with a specific engine RPM, regardless of your speed, or if instead it happens at a specific speed regardless of engine RPM.
Still traveling but definitely not speed but rpm. Happens at 1800 rpm and 2800 rpm going uphill. Does not happen going downhill. Very slight noise on level. I can feel the floor vibrate and seems to exist on the drivers side in the rear by the fridge. Could the floor not be secured?
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #49
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
Still traveling but definitely not speed but rpm. Happens at 1800 rpm and 2800 rpm going uphill. Does not happen going downhill. Very slight noise on level. I can feel the floor vibrate and seems to exist on the drivers side in the rear by the fridge. Could the floor not be secured?
In my Interstate with the wardrobe closet, the closet is located just forward of the wheelwell, and the whole galley is moved forward to make room for the closet. The presence of the wardrobe closet helps secure the floor.

Since I never ride in the back of mine (there's no one else I'd trust to drive it) I can't say for sure if that makes a difference in the noise level.

Anybody out there with the lounge/wardrobe floor plan experiencing the described noises, or just those whose Interstates have the lounge floor plan without the wardrobe closet?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I am sitting in the rear of my non-extended lounge version and do not hear any drivetrain noise other than some slight rear end howl as the load changes sometimes.

I will admit that riding back here is an E-ticket ride.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I am sitting in the rear of my non-extended lounge version and do not hear any drivetrain noise other than some slight rear end howl as the load changes sometimes.

I will admit that riding back here is an E-ticket ride.
Yes that is what I hear is loud howl when the drivetrain is under load at 1800 and 2800 rpm.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Rear end (differential) noise is usually caused by either the gear set not being set up properly or just bad gears, more likely the former.

I hope the fellow w/ the rear Konis gets them installed and reports back cuz the ride in the rear is unsat. As is the overall A/C.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Not sure if I am that fellow but I do need to give a follow up report. I had previously reported that putting the Koni's on the rear had vastly improve body control over left right transitions (driveway entrances and such) but I still have not had a passenger ride in the back. Since then I have added the Koni's to the front end and I am very happy with that purchase as well. It's not quite as transformative as the rear shocks, but it makes the coach feel much more stable and controlled, particularly when towing a heavily loaded trailer. I mentioned last time that I had purchased the camber bolts for the front struts. We opted not to install those as the shank is significantly smaller than the factory bolt and we were not comfortable giving up that much cross section on such a critical suspension fastener, plus the Koni front struts have some adjustment in their bolt holes that was sufficient to eliminate the positive camber that was present with the factory front struts.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
I agree the AC in the back is Unsat...however, the AC seems to improve in airflow if I crack the overhead vent or one of the back windows... bathroom vent???? I'll try tomorrow.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I run the bath exhaust to help keep it from becoming a sauna and have a 10" fan sitting on the counter blowing to the rear and still can't keep the RV comfortable when the ambient temp. goes over the upper eighties. I need to check the outlet temp. on the chassis air to see if it's within spec. The rear A/C only produces an 18* drop which is low but it's a sealed system and was advised that if you add a Schrader valve, you'll be adding Freon once a year. Need to check the exterior unit for anything that is blocking the air flow like cottonwood fuzz. The inside unit was clean as was the filter.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I am sitting in the rear of my non-extended lounge version and do not hear any drivetrain noise other than some slight rear end howl as the load changes sometimes. I will admit that riding back here is an E-ticket ride.
I did the Koni's front and rear as well as a sway bar and the ride is substantially better as a passenger in the rear.

It's not limo smooth, but it was plain unacceptable before.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Kaneohe , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Anybody out there with the lounge/wardrobe floor plan experiencing the described noises, or just those whose Interstates have the lounge floor plan without the wardrobe closet?
I have the wardrobe and the same noise. I have a thread whirring noise from back that I posted a few months ago. Still no solution found and the wardrobe seems not to make a difference.
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
We are back from a trip to NC. Got about 19 mpg up and on the return trip towing a 12x6 Uhaul trailer loaded, maybe 15 mpg. Rear end howl happens at 60 mph when towing so speed independent. Taking Vader to RBM tomorrow to fix a leak in the Maxxfan area and will see if I can drive one of their "lot" vehicles to see if gear howl is of the same intensity. I'm wondering if the axle seal leak I had contributed to the howl?
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Back from a maintenance/furniture trip to RBM/Atlanta. They fixed the vent fan leak but the gear howl still exists. They said they drove several of their own Interstates and the gear howl is normal for this model....another Interstate EXT owner was there and in addition to his problems, he had front end shakes at 42 mph...he said he had been to Jackson Center to complain. Could be tires or wheels???

Very Happy with Maint. Advisor (Steve Byrd) and Manisha (Sprinter)...she has showed us a lot of hints.

Getting ready to go on another trip...taking the dogs this time.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #60

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
When I get my Interstate back from the body shop the Airstream dealer will still owe me a repair on the back door that occurred before delivery and reattaching the water tank sensors that have taken to falling off.

Sometime this summer, I hope to get my rig back, get the Konis installed, and have the chance to take our baby out on the road again.
It has taken until the end of August for the MB body shop, the Airstream dealer, etc. to finish their work so I could finally get the Konis installed. They are definitely worth the cost! With the Konis the ride is noticeably firmer, more like the ride of my wife's VW GTI with sport suspension. There is a definite thump going over minor road bumps, but noticeably more stable, less side to side sway, and overall much better road handling. The proof of the pudding will come the first time I encounter a 35 mph crosswind, but at this point I am most definitely a happy camper.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote