Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Mike - you are spot on about those tire stems. Yes, everyone needs to replace those... especially like you said if you have sensors hanging on them.

When I put new tires on 15k miles ago, I had them switch to metal stems but for some reason they were unable to do so on the rear (I think outside?) rims. However, I still have experienced sensor failures since then.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Mike - you are spot on about those tire stems. Yes, everyone needs to replace those... especially like you said if you have sensors hanging on them.

When I put new tires on 15k miles ago, I had them switch to metal stems but for some reason they were unable to do so on the rear (I think outside?) rims. However, I still have experienced sensor failures since then.
You need these "dually valves" from Your Tire Shop Supply.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...printer-trucks

I've had mine for over five years now and no issues with TST TPMS flow-tru sensors. I'm on my third set of batteries and they still work fine.

There are some other sources for dually valves, these were one of the originals once known as Borg valves.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
...and TPMS sensors.... anyone have recommendations for brands that worked well?
I've been totally satisfied with the TST system (With the color monitor).
At first you think, "It will warn me in case of a pressure loss", true but the real value is, "I never get out the tire pressure gauge anymore unless the sensors tell me."
I suspect most components come down the same assembly line in China, so which system depends on whether you want a separate monitor or use your phone screen. Also, customer service is important, TST has always responded quickly to my e-mails.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
I installed a sterling 60 amp dc to dc charger that I bought from Battleborn when I bought the 2 lifepo4 battleborn batteries.
Quote:
Interesting concept with the alternator idea. Will look into that too.
Hawk, you won't have to worry about a DC to DC charger like narteallen80 installed unless you also convert to lithium batteries as he did. The need for such a charger is necessary for the two types of battery technology (lead acid & lithium) to play well with your engine alternator.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Hawk, you won't have to worry about a DC to DC charger like narteallen80 installed unless you also convert to lithium batteries as he did. The need for such a charger is necessary for the two types of battery technology (lead acid & lithium) to play well with your engine alternator.
I should have chimed in on that. I think even 100 ah of lithium (with dc to dc charger - Renogy one is much cheaper than sterling) is probably the single best upgrade that can be done. Much lower resistance makes charging from whatever source much faster.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Boxter, are you talking about the flow through sensors needing to be mounted to a metal stem? You're not saying the cap style, correct?

Every reply is exactly what I was wondering would or would not work so thank you and keep going please! Really interesting to see what approach you have taken to extend your stays off the grid or to help use more items while out and about. Really appreciate hearing your ideas and solutions!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #27
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Cap style should be on a metal stem as well... those rubber extensions should be replaced anyway...

The link I gave earlier was for the cap style sensors... same ones that I have. No issues in 13K miles (I know, I know, I need to get out more!!! )
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Hmm..interesting. Good to know the TPMS is more than just a quickie add on. I'm not sure I would have thought of that otherwise. Probably would have been one of those learn the hard way scenarios. I can't remember if we have the metal stems to I'll check it out before taking it in tomorrow.

I do remember reading about the alternator add on for lithium now that you bring it up. Still a neat setup. I'm a little leery of the lithium batteries due to the temp issues we have here in Iowa. Might start a new topic on that point, we'll see.

Taking our AS back in for a Ad Blue heater replacement possibly next week, our second in a week. Was hoping for a trip south but it's not looking good for us this year. We don't have enough under our belt yet for a big trip either. Kind of depressing it's getting put away and having to fix it already, so thanks for sharing, it keeps me a bit more chipper. Just not ready to put her away yet! I was looking forward to more trips but mother nature is not cooperating at all this year (along with that heater).

If you are on Wachuko, I got the 80/20 sample box and want to mount something to the back of the van with it. Did you use a specialized connector to hang it when you made your shelf? I'm thinking of mounting ours right between the back doors and the wood drop down piece. Not sure what you'd call that wood piece. I think a one-by will fit in that space. I haven't gotten with 80/20 or online to see what they use for end connections. By the way, my mind was blown with that product. Brought it up to my brother who is an engineer and he's like, ehh..we use it all the time. Oh....well, so much for impressing him!
Told him I was surprised he hadn't made his kitchen table of it then...ha. Cool product. Your shelf turned out really nice too. Neat to see the different takes on materials and craftsmanship on them.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Thanks for the advice on heat. I got it working now with your advice. Didn't realize you can't be hooked up to shore power to make it work. Thought it was really counterproductive to have the AC run with the heat! So you can't be plugged in or run the inverter, meaning the only thing you can run is the furnace?... well, and fridge off batteries, Lights, etc.? Can you run the generator at the same time? ... I thought I researched this before buying but I'm finding out I didn't read enough to know whats up.

Question back to the thermostat now that you said it's finicky. I feel like I have to cycle through the program mode to make anything be able to work, AC, temp, mode, anything. If I get that all set right (like what time of day it is and if the right setting is on the program, I can get it to kick on eventually. Is this also normal for this year and finicky thermostat and system? I really feel foolish not being able to make it work like the videos where you hit the button and walk away. Seems like something is not right or we have a problem with the controller or something. Or I admit to not knowing how it's supposed to work, but I've tried to find the answer to my issue through the forum, videos, and manual and I'm not finding why ours acts like this.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Boxter, are you talking about the flow through sensors needing to be mounted to a metal stem? You're not saying the cap style, correct? . . .
Just confirming wachuko's comment above...

Yes you need metal valve stems with either the flow-thru or cap type sensors. I've read of many owners who installed cap type sensor and the rubber vale stems eventually failed causing a flat.

On the TST web pages for a single cap sensors it gives confusing info.

For one model of cap sensor it clearly says:

"For use on metal valve stems only."
https://tsttruck.com/507-series-sce-...or-single.html

The Flow-Thru sensors also say "metal only".
https://tsttruck.com/507-series-flow...or-single.html

But the other cap sensor says "Valve Stem Application - Rubber or Metal"
https://tsttruck.com/507-series-rv-c...or-single.html

I'd say mounting anything but a light weight plastic dusk cap on a rubber valve stem is risky.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
My apologies for brining back topics that are already covered. It's getting very cold and it seems very early this year, but maybe it's just me wanting to spend more time out in the Interstate!

We purchased the Interstate to get away, but being small business owners sometimes prevents me from having the time to research and build upon my knowledge banks before asking. Hope some of you don't mind! Seems like the extra time I do have, I'd rather be tinkering around making something fit or fix something in it anyway! So thanks in advance as it helps to condense Q and A, at least for me.

So to the dirt... I'd like to "boondock" for a night or weekend on an acreage with no electricity or water at this point. I have friends and family that are close, so I could make things happen if need be, so to speak, but what's your thoughts on the solar panel/battery upgrades? I don't want to bust the bank at this point, but we only have the one solar panel which they should have almost forgotten about, in my opinion, with our 2014. Can we upgrade to 3-4 solar panels and have enough to make it through the night without running the generator? We used our Dyson heater which I assume draws a lot, but could I run it through most the night off solar on a good day without plugging in?

I can install electricity on the location but haven't decided if I want to sell it or keep it to stay on at this point, so what options do you think would work best? It doesn't make sense to dump tons into this coach as we'll probably upgrade to a newer model eventually. I'm not super into lithium yet, but maybe your input would change my mind. We have two new AGMs installed at this time.

Now, I will have the winter to research, but just want to see your thoughts with who has better solar and possibly batteries. There's a lot of talk about upgrading, but not much has been said after the fact. Are you happy, worth the money, can you stay out and about, how long, what do you use in the coach, etc.?...

And TPMS sensors.... anyone have recommendations for brands that worked well? I know the info is out there, just throw it at me if you would. I'm thinking of getting this done before totally putting it away for the season.

Thanks, hope you are still out and about unlike us! Not ready to separate for the season yet, but Mother Nature is winning this battle!!

Will let others address electric heat.
My thing is tires, valves and TPMS as I cover in detail on my blog (and various posts on this forum)
I personally bought Tire Traker brand TPMS back in 2009 and have been running for 10 years. I like their Lifetime warranty and 7 day telephone support. I did upgrade the monitor to the TT500 in 2018 after I managed to "fry" the original monitor by making a wrong electrical connection.
You might also read my post on how I program my TPMS and this could apply to any brand TPMS.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
My apologies for brining back topics that are already covered. It's getting very cold and it seems very early this year, but maybe it's just me wanting to spend more time out in the Interstate!

We purchased the Interstate to get away, but being small business owners sometimes prevents me from having the time to research and build upon my knowledge banks before asking. Hope some of you don't mind! Seems like the extra time I do have, I'd rather be tinkering around making something fit or fix something in it anyway! So thanks in advance as it helps to condense Q and A, at least for me.

So to the dirt... I'd like to "boondock" for a night or weekend on an acreage with no electricity or water at this point. I have friends and family that are close, so I could make things happen if need be, so to speak, but what's your thoughts on the solar panel/battery upgrades? I don't want to bust the bank at this point, but we only have the one solar panel which they should have almost forgotten about, in my opinion, with our 2014. Can we upgrade to 3-4 solar panels and have enough to make it through the night without running the generator? We used our Dyson heater which I assume draws a lot, but could I run it through most the night off solar on a good day without plugging in?

I can install electricity on the location but haven't decided if I want to sell it or keep it to stay on at this point, so what options do you think would work best? It doesn't make sense to dump tons into this coach as we'll probably upgrade to a newer model eventually. I'm not super into lithium yet, but maybe your input would change my mind. We have two new AGMs installed at this time.

Now, I will have the winter to research, but just want to see your thoughts with who has better solar and possibly batteries. There's a lot of talk about upgrading, but not much has been said after the fact. Are you happy, worth the money, can you stay out and about, how long, what do you use in the coach, etc.?...

And TPMS sensors.... anyone have recommendations for brands that worked well? I know the info is out there, just throw it at me if you would. I'm thinking of getting this done before totally putting it away for the season.

Thanks, hope you are still out and about unlike us! Not ready to separate for the season yet, but Mother Nature is winning this battle!!
I have the TST 507's with screw on sensor caps now 2 years...work great;I did install the repeater also on the A frame to improve signal. I also have rubber valve stems and no problems, unless you hit extremely bumpy pavement...(like on hwy10 in Louisiana! ) They can stop transmitting till road smooths out, then they pick back up. This happened last week and was first time in last 15K miles; 2 years of use. Not sure changing to metal steams would have been any different on that road at 60-65mph; real answer was to slow down more or take a different route. Bottom line, the TST system works great.

As for boondocking in real cold weather, the electric heaters will not provide enough heat to keep your pipes from freezing when real cold...the AS propane furnace running circulates warm air in the belly pan so that works great. Just need to monitor the propane tanks..we run one at a time so we know when one is out, we switch tanks and fill the empty one...the electric heater is used also when we are in the trailer; just don't want to leave it on when we are not in the trailer since it won't warm the outside pipes in the belly...

Even in storage here in Austin, we keep it on the furnace on at 40...past few nights it's been down in the 20's...I check every day to make sure everything is working and propane is adequate.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote