Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
PTECK - Yeah, this is the issue why I have not removed the fixed loops to replace with casters. The casters actually REDUCE the already limited clearance. From a design engineering standpoint, the ideal design would be a caster system that is fully retracted but with a plunger pre-set at the max clearance desired. Once the plunger scrapes pavement, it drops caster. Of course, it is easier said than done, because a non-fixed caster would have to be engineered even more beefier than a fixed one, thus reducing clearance further. And hench the vicious cycle repeats. Ughh! I may just have to live with the fixed loops. I have been judicious & careful with driveways when I have a choice. I try always approaching at an angle instead of perpendicular. So far, I have only very barely scraped one of the loops
From driving very low clearance sports cars all my life, I can tell you that steel slides quite nicely. Even if fully engaged and dragging on whatever surface. Sure, it may leave a mark on the tarmac (as you see in the steep driveway entrances and speed bumps), but the steel member on the vehicle is really no worse for wear other than some cosmetic scrapes. Even after repeated day after day scraping.

Approaching and departing these transitions at an angle does does wonders for clearance.

pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:31 AM   #16
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Does that mean we can't tar & feather them?
ROWIEBOWIE - That's too light of punishment. I vote strapping them down on the tip of the protrusion I am not ashamed to say through the years, I have scraped many a nice wheels. Yeah, sure it my fault, but still . . . On the other hand, I notice many local LV parking lots are staying away from them, only putting them on really critical junctions and always with a tree, lightpole, or some type of vertical sign to serve as visual aid. Another example is in our subdivision, there are no squared off curbs. The street goes into the gutters and then gently slopes up to meet the sidewalks/lawns. So if somehow I misjudged the C/S, I just gently roll up the gutter to the curb and not ruin a wheel, tire, or alignment or undercarriage. All new developments here are built that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_233115.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	326846  

Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great discussion of the limitations of adding casters/rollers, thanks.

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Here is what I did:

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	327278
I add a hitch receiver on both sides for accessories and add a skid roller.
The height is the same as the flimsy sheet metal bows which I would not consider a skid plate as the bend or shear off at contact.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
Skid plate under valves

Hi
I am just finishing a full redo on my vintage travelux. I have put a skid on the valve side but will probably add one on the other side. It has not hit anything yet,due probably, to raising the suspension profile by putting the axles under the springs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20160510_002.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	327279  
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
Hi
I am just finishing a full redo on my vintage travelux. I have put a skid on the valve side but will probably add one on the other side. It has not hit anything yet,due probably, to raising the suspension profile by putting the axles under the springs.
MRFIXIT51 - looks customized. Does not look like you can buy that from any store. Very nice job! Since I am one of those 'prefer symmetrical' guys, I am with you on adding extra on other side, whether it needs or not, to balance the look. Not that anyone will be inspecting that underside too often, but then again you said it is raised higher now, so maybe it will be seen more
Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Here is what I did:
Attachment 327278
I add a hitch receiver on both sides for accessories and add a skid roller.
The height is the same as the flimsy sheet metal bows which I would not consider a skid plate as the bend or shear off at contact.
Peter
PSCHW - Is this on an Interstate, it sure looks it BUT your hitch bumper body skirting opening seems wider than mine. I was going to pursue the same, 1 on each side of factory installed hitch exactly for same purpose. I hate my bike rack always shaking a bit in spite of the hitch tighteners. Luckily I have a friend who can weld 2 of them. You say it's same height as the loops? How did you manage that since the new hitches are 2" already + roller height? Also can you post the entire 3 hitches shown, please? I really interested on how the final product looks.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #22
'73 Streamline & '51 Spar

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Skid protectors

I own a 1973 Streamline that came out of the factory with small wheels - approximately 2” in diameter. They work well on slow inclines but I have luckily never put them in a shearing impact. They are cheaply replaced at your local Granger store.
LARRY@GOVINTAGETRAILERS.COM
princepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
PSCHW - Is this on an Interstate, it sure looks it BUT your hitch bumper body skirting opening seems wider than mine. I was going to pursue the same, 1 on each side of factory installed hitch exactly for same purpose. I hate my bike rack always shaking a bit in spite of the hitch tighteners. Luckily I have a friend who can weld 2 of them. You say it's same height as the loops? How did you manage that since the new hitches are 2" already + roller height? Also can you post the entire 3 hitches shown, please? I really interested on how the final product looks.

Yes it is a 2013 Interstate not extended and I believe Airstream changed the rear bumper in 2014.
My “skid” loops been about 3” or 4” high and the lowers roller I could find was 2” high. Ultra-Fab Products (48-979021) 2" x 2" Weld-On Steel Mini Roller purchase from Amazon.

Name:	IMG_8568.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	327352Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8571.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	327353Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8567.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	327354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8566.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	327355
I made a accessory bar going into both outside hitches which was not working to well as it is difficult to line up the hitches perfectly and have the studs welded perfectly parallel so I am rethinking this part.
As usual at mods are more or less a work in progress.
Petrr
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Skid plates loops or rollers you still can, CAN the back corners of AS, if you don't no what canning means it is wrinkling of skin on back corners. It can happen as my AS is proof of it on 1 corner that didn't drag that hard. Bottom line avoid any place where can drag. My AS drug entering gas station even on angle to avoid dragging.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Yes it is a 2013 Interstate not extended and I believe Airstream changed the rear bumper in 2014.
My “skid” loops been about 3” or 4” high and the lowers roller I could find was 2” high. Ultra-Fab Products (48-979021) 2" x 2" Weld-On Steel Mini Roller purchase from Amazon.

I made a accessory bar going into both outside hitches which was not working to well as it is difficult to line up the hitches perfectly and have the studs welded perfectly parallel so I am rethinking this part.
As usual at mods are more or less a work in progress.
Petrr
PSCHW - THANK YOU, those pics awesome! That is how I envisioned the concept in my mind. But you definitely have it better with the wider opening on the lower skirting. My 2018 probably only has half that width, so hopefully my friend can make it look as good as yours. As you say, alignment of the hitches is tricky but once you got it aligned, you're set
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181108_134759.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	327362   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_135036.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	327363  

Old 11-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Skid plates loops or rollers you still can, CAN the back corners of AS, if you don't no what canning means it is wrinkling of skin on back corners. It can happen as my AS is proof of it on 1 corner that didn't drag that hard. Bottom line avoid any place where can drag. My AS drug entering gas station even on angle to avoid dragging.
FEATHERBEDDER - Learned a new term today - canning. And after you explained the wrinkling, then I can visualize it. Sorry to hear happened to you. I am almost ridiculously over careful to the point where I will skip a gas station to find one with flat approaches, even if lots more expensive diesel. Small price to pay to prevent rig & my face wrinkles
Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
....if you don't no what canning means it is wrinkling of skin on back corners. It can happen as my AS is proof of it on 1 corner that didn't drag that hard. ....
Any pics of this? Thanks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

Yes on a trailer but not on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van.