Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Post Replacing sideview cameras

Figured I would make a separate thread on this for easier searching.

I noticed that when I would use the right-turn signal the screen went blue with an error message:

I first checked all the connections to the rearview mirror display. To access these cables/harness, you will need to remove the dome light housing. To do that you will need to remove the plastic cover on the passenger side, that gives you access to the light bulbs. Once that is remove you will see two metal tabs on the dome housing.

Push those in while pulling down the light dome housing and the complete assembly should just fall out. You will see that there are plastic tabs on the other side... reason why you have to remove it from the right side instead of the left side.

Borrowing some photos from Alex, since I forgot to take some during this part... This is what it looks like with the dome light housing removed...well, it looks worse, this is what it looks like AFTER Alex went in and organized all that mess of harness/wires all tangled in there ... So beware that it will not look this neat from the factory...

Check all the connections and validate that the issue is simply not some connector in there loose...

If you still need to continue troubleshooting, your problem might be that the camera has gone bad. For the side cameras, you will need to remove the mirrors to have access the the camera.

This video was very useful on how to remove the mirrors... remember that in the older Sprinters the large mirror slides up vs the newer Sprinters (2015-2018) where the come out like shown in the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...bY&app=desktop

Ours has all the connections to heated and the sensors, so careful with those. Ours will not just come off like in the video... they will be hanging from the wires unless you unplug them...

Once the mirrors are out, disconnect the camera connector. There is a securing ring that you will need to loosen before you pull the plugs apart.

Here you see the camera secured to the housing...

Then you will need to remove the back cover. This big cover is held in place by 4 torx-20 screws.

There is only one small screw holding the camera housing to the rest of the side mirror cover... remove it and the smaller housing with the camera should come out.

Once I had it out, I went to the driver's side to test the camera and rule out the wiring from the interior to the side mirror... removed the driver's mirror, unplugged the camera... plugged the RH camera, tested and same results... so that is how I came to the conclusion that the RH camera is toast...

Now... to remove the camera from the small housing.

Remove the two screws holding the securing bracket...

You will see four metal tabs around the camera... I used a small flat screwdriver to push each one in as I pushed the camera out... the camera will slowly slide out of the small housing...

And this is what you should have... that black tape you see in the small housing, is holding the screw that secures the small housing to the large mirror rear cover... just in case you were wondering

Thread was done before I filed the warranty claim and got the replacement camera... So I placed some clear gorilla tape in there until it arrives...

But installing the new camera is the reverse of the steps provided above. Hope this helps others when encountering a similar issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	338799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6403.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	338800  

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	338801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	338802  

Name:	IMG_6411.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	338803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6413.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	338804  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Really great detail. Thanks for taking the time to post. I bookmarked this for future reference.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #3

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
Really great detail. Thanks for taking the time to post. I bookmarked this for future reference.
Sure thing. Glad to be able to help others.

I did talk to Airstream and was told that when it comes to electronics and the camera system, they tend not to send it to owners and prefer that owners handle this via the dealer/service department. But due to the level of detail and troubleshooting already done (I had share the link to this thread) that they would make an exception and send me just the camera for me to replace it.

I am happy they did that as I just do not like taking my AI to the dealer if it is something that I can fix...

________

Thinking that this could be a common issue down the line, I started to track down the vendor for this system... I was not able to confirm who provides them to Airstream, but I was able to track down who also sells these systems... I wanted to buy a spare camera.

AAMP Global/ EchoMaster (https://echomaster.com/)

https://echomaster.com/categories/in...ehicle-safety/

Their install video.

The person from EchoMaster/AAMP that I spoke with mentioned that cameras going bad was not common, that once I had the replacement from AI that I should be good to go... Turns out that they do not sell the cameras separately. But at least I know a place that has a kit with most of the components...

I can find cameras with the same connector, just not the securing ring that screws with the other connector for a better sealed connection... plus the one in there right now has a short cable, the generic ones I find have a long cable... not a big issue but one with the locking ring is what I was looking for...

And I forgot to ask Airstream for the cost of a replacement camera to keep as spare... pretty sure that for that I will indeed have to go through the dealer...

Anyway, wanted to provide an update. Now to wait for the replacement camera to arrive from Airstream and I should be able to finish this repair.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Got notification from UPS. Camera should be here tomorrow, woohoo!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #5

Orlando , Florida
Just adding a post shared in FB by another AI owner:

Quote:
I’m having issues with my cameras as well.
I get random no signal errors and it doesn’t matter which side camera. Although one at a time, each side has given the no signal error.
I’ve taken my AI to the dealership 3x and they cannot duplicate the problem.

When contacting the factory and explaining the problem I received the following.

“Here is thoughts for troubleshooting the product.

When the cameras are not working, does the switcher still work? Meaning does using the turn signal trigger the mirror to display a black screen or a screen saying NO SIGNAL in red?
This would mean that the switcher is working correctly and that the camera signal itself is the issue. This could be caused by the camera itself failing by ingesting water or reaching its thermal limits.
It would be hard to imagine that they are hitting their thermal limits, or could ingest water on and off and continue to work randomly.
When the cameras are not working, does the switcher NOT work? Meaning does the mirror stay only displaying the reverse camera. (the reverse camera is a passthrough the switcher meaning it will always display even with no trigger being applied)
This would mean that the switcher itself is not working. It could be one of two things, the switcher is defective. OR the PSM is not outputting signals to the switcher. This would also be the case if the 6 pin trigger harness that connects the PSM to switcher itself may not have a good connection. <- this seems the most likely.”
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Camera arrived today. Installed and everything working as expected. Yeah baby!
Attached Images

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-24-2020, 03:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Thanks for the great post. Based on this, it’s my take away that MB dealer could provide replacement side view mirror assembly, cameras, indicators etc? Not a AS modification to the Sprinter?

We had our AI crashed into by a neighbor trying to back in a ski boat and totally crushed our passenger side view mirror. Not to mention other dents and scratches.

Name:	IMG_4471.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	368569

On the hunt for where to go for a repair.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban71 View Post
Thanks for the great post. Based on this, it’s my take away that MB dealer could provide replacement side view mirror assembly, cameras, indicators etc? Not a AS modification to the Sprinter?

We had our AI crashed into by a neighbor trying to back in a ski boat and totally crushed our passenger side view mirror. Not to mention other dents and scratches.

Attachment 368569

On the hunt for where to go for a repair.
It is an Airstream modification. Parts (camera) came from Airstream, not Mercedes.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

RALEIGH , NC
thanks for the info. I've shared with them. Apparently our screen is blank - nothing
not blue.
NCClassB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #10

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCClassB View Post
thanks for the info. I've shared with them. Apparently our screen is blank - nothing
not blue.
Then I would check for a blown fuse... must check for power to the unit first.
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Pittsburgh, PA & New Port Richey, FL , .
Great post about cameras!!!

Hey Wachuko, thanks so much for your very detailed post! I have a 2022 AS Interstate 24GT. My rear view camera is just gone black. Looks like no power. I've gone thru all of the fuses as I can not find a diagram stating which fuse is for the rear view camera. Can't find a blown fuse anywhere.

I called Airstream in Jackson Center, OH and they think the switcher suddenly went bad. Part P-VS41-B or 513105-104. I'm in PGH now but heading to FL 7/11/22 and taking it to Airstream of Tampa on 7/14. They have 2 switchers in stock. I'm tempted to take the dome light assembly down just to be sure nothing got unplugged.

I'll post the results after I leave Airstream of Tampa, unless I get antsy and and take it apart before I leave and find the problem. Problem is that I flat tow my wife's car and the camera (when working) helps me keep an eye on her car.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:23 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Hi Bill,

just checking in because perhaps looks like you came across the same issue that we did. Do you have a way to point me to a direction where I can learn how to take apart the dome light housing and/or locate where that switcher is. I wouldn’t mind trying to unplug and plug it back in and see if that helps I’ve heard they’re also could be corrosion sometimes when vehicles sit for so long.
If not, it means I go back to the dealer for warranty repair
Thank you
3OnOurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Rear Camera

Hi 3OnOurWay,

The issue with my camera was the wiring harness that runs from the driver's side out to the driver's door was pinched inside of the insulation tube. The pinch was at the door post. Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 01-10-2024, 11:04 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Thanks Bill points me in a direction before we go warranty route. Stay safe
Old 01-12-2024, 05:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OnOurWay View Post
Thanks Bill points me in a direction before we go warranty route. Stay safe
If you are still under warranty, I would go that route. In any event, if you remove that rubber wire tube at the door post, that's where my wires were pinched.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:11 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Quick update due to your help

So I popped off the rubber access boot between chassi and driver door, manipulated the wires and got the driver sid e line spot camera to work for about five minutes before it failed itself again.

to get the dome light housing cover off. You just need to slide a credit card at the very back it pops the housing mechanism down and nicely hang in place on a hinge, the whole dome light SOS button comes down

there I found the front left right camera inputs

and I switched those around and the drivers die camera camera still did not work. The right side camera did work on left turn signal.

so my multiplexer is fine.

Figuring the camera cabling from the camera through the drivers door into the dome light is bad.

just an update because I certainly appreciate when people track down their options and then post an update

Guess we will be making a warranty repair for them to fix this hopefully before we leave but I know things take time at the dealer and Warranty’s
Old 01-14-2024, 09:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OnOurWay View Post
Quick update due to your help

So I popped off the rubber access boot between chassi and driver door, manipulated the wires and got the driver sid e line spot camera to work for about five minutes before it failed itself again.

to get the dome light housing cover off. You just need to slide a credit card at the very back it pops the housing mechanism down and nicely hang in place on a hinge, the whole dome light SOS button comes down

there I found the front left right camera inputs

and I switched those around and the drivers die camera camera still did not work. The right side camera did work on left turn signal.

so my multiplexer is fine.

Figuring the camera cabling from the camera through the drivers door into the dome light is bad.

just an update because I certainly appreciate when people track down their options and then post an update

Guess we will be making a warranty repair for them to fix this hopefully before we leave but I know things take time at the dealer and Warranty’s
Thanks for the update. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2024, 01:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
OK final update, Aime you have the ability to pull through the cabling that runs uninterrupted from the multiplex are all the way out to the a pillar. There is a unprotected jumper cable that runs from the eight pillar about 2 feet long that plugs into the 6 inch camera lead

I was able to jumper out from the multiplex wrapped camera cable through the window into the mirror camera to realize that the original unwrapped bare cable was pinched the jumper is what’s bad it’s not evident until you start fishing all the cable out of there that there is an additional 24 inch jumper Inside

Good luck hope that helps those that are trying to diagnose a factory installed camera system because there’s a few redundant points that allow you to test each cable.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:36 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Rather than starting a new thread for what might be a dumb question…

We just purchased a 2018 AI and although I could have sworn when I first looked at it on the dealers lot that I saw images from the side cameras on the rear view mirror. Since then, nothing that I’ve done has displayed these cameras again. I’ve gone through the mirrors controls but they’re super basic. Any idea what I’m missing or doing wrong? Thanks!
doug1tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
Wachuko,
Long time, no talk...I've taken a bit of a break from the AF, no real reason...maybe just because the beast is in hybernation and nothing going wrong with it at the moment to troubleshoot, ha-ha.
Looks like those pesky outside mirrors gave you the "blue screen" just one to many times and you said "the hell with this!", like I finally did last summer (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2682486) glad you sorted through the fix!.
I do have to replace the combination touch/mechanical panel next to the sliding door; some water from a dish washing session dripped over the edge of the countertop and I suppose shorted the panel out...I've already spoken to the 3rd party mfr. and this little gem will set me back about $ 225.00...I suppose it could be worse.
Our big excursion last year was from Cincy to Eastern Canada (Quebec City & Charlevoix Region) in October, it was beautiful. Not sure yet about 2024...maybe the Pacific Northwest, but damn is that a long slog to get our there. What do some say; it's more about the journey than the destination(?).
Take Care & Happy Trails!
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote