Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Post Replacing sideview cameras

Figured I would make a separate thread on this for easier searching.

I noticed that when I would use the right-turn signal the screen went blue with an error message:

I first checked all the connections to the rearview mirror display. To access these cables/harness, you will need to remove the dome light housing. To do that you will need to remove the plastic cover on the passenger side, that gives you access to the light bulbs. Once that is remove you will see two metal tabs on the dome housing.

Push those in while pulling down the light dome housing and the complete assembly should just fall out. You will see that there are plastic tabs on the other side... reason why you have to remove it from the right side instead of the left side.

Borrowing some photos from Alex, since I forgot to take some during this part... This is what it looks like with the dome light housing removed...well, it looks worse, this is what it looks like AFTER Alex went in and organized all that mess of harness/wires all tangled in there ... So beware that it will not look this neat from the factory...

Check all the connections and validate that the issue is simply not some connector in there loose...

If you still need to continue troubleshooting, your problem might be that the camera has gone bad. For the side cameras, you will need to remove the mirrors to have access the the camera.

This video was very useful on how to remove the mirrors... remember that in the older Sprinters the large mirror slides up vs the newer Sprinters (2015-2018) where the come out like shown in the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...bY&app=desktop

Ours has all the connections to heated and the sensors, so careful with those. Ours will not just come off like in the video... they will be hanging from the wires unless you unplug them...

Once the mirrors are out, disconnect the camera connector. There is a securing ring that you will need to loosen before you pull the plugs apart.

Here you see the camera secured to the housing...

Then you will need to remove the back cover. This big cover is held in place by 4 torx-20 screws.

There is only one small screw holding the camera housing to the rest of the side mirror cover... remove it and the smaller housing with the camera should come out.

Once I had it out, I went to the driver's side to test the camera and rule out the wiring from the interior to the side mirror... removed the driver's mirror, unplugged the camera... plugged the RH camera, tested and same results... so that is how I came to the conclusion that the RH camera is toast...

Now... to remove the camera from the small housing.

Remove the two screws holding the securing bracket...

You will see four metal tabs around the camera... I used a small flat screwdriver to push each one in as I pushed the camera out... the camera will slowly slide out of the small housing...

And this is what you should have... that black tape you see in the small housing, is holding the screw that secures the small housing to the large mirror rear cover... just in case you were wondering

Thread was done before I filed the warranty claim and got the replacement camera... So I placed some clear gorilla tape in there until it arrives...

But installing the new camera is the reverse of the steps provided above. Hope this helps others when encountering a similar issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	338799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6403.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	338800  

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	338801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	338802  

Name:	IMG_6411.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	338803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6413.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	338804  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Really great detail. Thanks for taking the time to post. I bookmarked this for future reference.

orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #3

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
Really great detail. Thanks for taking the time to post. I bookmarked this for future reference.
Sure thing. Glad to be able to help others.

I did talk to Airstream and was told that when it comes to electronics and the camera system, they tend not to send it to owners and prefer that owners handle this via the dealer/service department. But due to the level of detail and troubleshooting already done (I had share the link to this thread) that they would make an exception and send me just the camera for me to replace it.

I am happy they did that as I just do not like taking my AI to the dealer if it is something that I can fix...

________

Thinking that this could be a common issue down the line, I started to track down the vendor for this system... I was not able to confirm who provides them to Airstream, but I was able to track down who also sells these systems... I wanted to buy a spare camera.

AAMP Global/ EchoMaster (https://echomaster.com/)

https://echomaster.com/categories/in...ehicle-safety/

Their install video.

The person from EchoMaster/AAMP that I spoke with mentioned that cameras going bad was not common, that once I had the replacement from AI that I should be good to go... Turns out that they do not sell the cameras separately. But at least I know a place that has a kit with most of the components...

I can find cameras with the same connector, just not the securing ring that screws with the other connector for a better sealed connection... plus the one in there right now has a short cable, the generic ones I find have a long cable... not a big issue but one with the locking ring is what I was looking for...

And I forgot to ask Airstream for the cost of a replacement camera to keep as spare... pretty sure that for that I will indeed have to go through the dealer...

Anyway, wanted to provide an update. Now to wait for the replacement camera to arrive from Airstream and I should be able to finish this repair.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Got notification from UPS. Camera should be here tomorrow, woohoo!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #5

Orlando , Florida
Just adding a post shared in FB by another AI owner:

Quote:
I’m having issues with my cameras as well.
I get random no signal errors and it doesn’t matter which side camera. Although one at a time, each side has given the no signal error.
I’ve taken my AI to the dealership 3x and they cannot duplicate the problem.

When contacting the factory and explaining the problem I received the following.

“Here is thoughts for troubleshooting the product.

When the cameras are not working, does the switcher still work? Meaning does using the turn signal trigger the mirror to display a black screen or a screen saying NO SIGNAL in red?
This would mean that the switcher is working correctly and that the camera signal itself is the issue. This could be caused by the camera itself failing by ingesting water or reaching its thermal limits.
It would be hard to imagine that they are hitting their thermal limits, or could ingest water on and off and continue to work randomly.
When the cameras are not working, does the switcher NOT work? Meaning does the mirror stay only displaying the reverse camera. (the reverse camera is a passthrough the switcher meaning it will always display even with no trigger being applied)
This would mean that the switcher itself is not working. It could be one of two things, the switcher is defective. OR the PSM is not outputting signals to the switcher. This would also be the case if the 6 pin trigger harness that connects the PSM to switcher itself may not have a good connection. <- this seems the most likely.”
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Camera arrived today. Installed and everything working as expected. Yeah baby!
Attached Images

WBCCI #26769