Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I don't know if the factory horn uses a relay but if it doesn't and the new horn draws appreciably more current, then there's risk of burning up the horn switch. A relay is essentially a remotely controlled switch and is used primarily when you want to either avoid switching hi current thru a switch or want to minimize the voltage drop by placing the source closer to the device.

Back in the day, most horns were on a relay but I don't know if today's horns draw lots of current or not.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 AM   #22

Currently Looking...
Savannah , Georgia
Cadillac horn installment in sprinter

Russ240. Tell me about the installment of the Cadillac horn. I just bought the same horn off eBay. Did you require any other components or converters? Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I bought a set of the old school 4-tone cadillac horns. ACD and F notes IIRC. Sounds like a chord from a pipe organ when you sound them. Pretty loud, I've heard louder but these get the job done and I love to hear them! I see the seller I got them from on Ebay a couple of years ago is still selling them. Cadillac DeVille Buick 4 Note Horn Set A C D F 120 DB Loud Impressive | eBay
Equinoxjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I used the quartet of Cad horns on another vehicle. Wired them with relay. OEM wire triggered relay.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinoxjazz View Post
Russ240. Tell me about the installment of the Cadillac horn.
Unfortunately I can't provide details because my mechanic did the install and while he may have told me at the time, I've slept since then so I don't recall. However, slowmover's use if a relay is a good idea. I'm pretty sure mine are just running off the stock wiring but that's not the best way to do it.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We replaced our Interstate horn two months ago. This post contains step by step pics for an older T1N:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: REPLACING THE HORN ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We replaced our Interstate horn two months ago. This post contains step by step pics for an older T1N:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: REPLACING THE HORN ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Fantastic write up!!! So well explained that I may try to do this myself. Thank you for sharing.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I replaced my horn with the HELLA TWINS some time ago and now get some attention from the BIG BOYS. Well worth the time and small investment, and no it does not scare the c--p out of any 2 or 4 legged animals.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote