Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Replacement Tire Input

Hi all

Seen a lot of talk about this in other threads but would like some input on the following.

We have a 2014 AI still running on original Conti’s with 20,000 miles on them. They are in great shape but we intend on keeping our coach for some time and would like to ‘upgrade’ the tires to help with ride.

We are considering the Michelin LTX M/S defenders 215/85 r16 as we have seen a lot of positive reviews here and around that these are the best tires for the coach and ride improvement.

The will try to sell the Conti’s to offset the cost. Which estimates right now are around $1300 all in.

Any input is appreciated.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I ran my original Conti's until I had an inner dual go flat at 30,000 miles. The fronts also had excessive edge wear. The rear single that carried the load when the inner went flat was likely damaged. So I had four bad tires and was about to head to Alaska. Replaced all six with new Michelins and have had no problems in over 60,000 more miles.

I'd recommend you run the Conti's until they wear more and save the cash until you have a real need to replace them.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I got 40,000 on my Continental before replacing them with Michelin Defenders. I have no complaints about the Michelins but would not have paid for them before I needed them as they are not that much of an improvement.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
PS
When installing the Michelins I tried to install the Centramatic balancer. They fit, but there was no way to add air with them installed. I wish I had installed TPMS when I had the tires replaced and rebalanced. I will probably do that next time I have them rotated and balanced.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I got 40,000 on my Continental before replacing them with Michelin Defenders. I have no complaints about the Michelins but would not have paid for them before I needed them as they are not that much of an improvement.

This is good info.

So not much ride improvement?

We could easily also get 40,000 miles on ours also as they are in great condition. Probably have 75% tread life left.

If not much difference should we not do it?

We have done the rear sway bar and shocks but not going to spend money on air suspension and thought tires would be next best thing.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Another point I’d like to bring up is age of tire.

I have et checked yet but I’m sure our 2014 AI in a 2013 chassis doesn’t have 2014 tires on it.

And I don’t mind spending the money to make sure my family is safe on the road.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:32 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I replaced all seven tires with Michelins just a couple of weeks ago. The Continentals that came with my Interstate had reached seven years old. Still plenty of tread left, but the rubber itself was starting to get old.

At the time, my Sprinter dealer's service department was running a promotion, $150 off four or more tires of any brand, so the timing was good. And since I was having Sumo Springs installed on all four corners anyway, it seemed prudent to replace the tires, get them balanced, and get an all-wheel alignment at the same time the Sumo Springs were installed. I've already had the Koni Red rear shocks and front struts for a few years.

Not cheap— especially to do everything at once— but I noticed a vast difference in ride quality right away. Problem is, I can't tell which item of work had the greatest effect. My guess would be the Sumo Springs, though, because my van also gained a full inch of additional ground clearance when they were installed, too.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
Regarding the question of improved ride with Michelin Defenders--definitely some improvement, especially over smaller bumps and holes in the road, but more remarkable was how much quieter the van rides with Michelins compared to the Contis. We noticed less rattles and squeaks on smooth highways.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
We replaced the continentals on my wife's SUV with Michelin and the improvement was remarkable. The continentals would get stuck in road ruts making the SUV go where it wanted. So from safety point of view it was worth it let alone the other benefits of it being quieter.

For that reason I am anxious to do the same with AI but just can't bring myself to replace the nearly new Continentals.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
I’m still on the fence

Was scheduled to do today but waiting for more input and going to think about it more
Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
New tires tend to be both smoother and quieter versus old ones with hardened and worn rubber, even with exact same brand and type. I got 44km out of the old Conti and the new Michelin are fantastic but wouldn’t pay for them prematurely.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
I’m still on the fence

Was scheduled to do today but waiting for more input and going to think about it more

Save your money until really need new tires. The improvement in ride quality is very subjective. You could probably change it more by adjusting the tire pressures to match the actual loads on your tires.

You mentioned planning to sell the Conti tires after replacing them. Are getting a fixed price as trade-in or do you plan to seek them yourself, like on Craig's list? Unless you are getting a guaranteed trade value there is a risk you will get a lot less than you think for those used tires.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Thanks all for the input

Gonna wait,

Just gonna play with tire pressures like boxster suggests.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I put Michelin Defenders on my SUV when the original tires wore out. It's subjective, but I felt it wandered more after installing the Defenders.
I'm a big Michelin fan, so I'd do it again, but they felt different, needed more steering input.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Pasadena , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I replaced all seven tires with Michelins just a couple of weeks ago. The Continentals that came with my Interstate had reached seven years old. Still plenty of tread left, but the rubber itself was starting to get old.

Could you tell me what Michelins in detail you purchased. I have looked for Michelins and Michelin Defenders but want to make sure I get the same ones you have. Yes, I'm a fan of yours and pay attention to your posts.
Abba is offline   Reply With Quote