Old 09-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Actually, AGM batteries can become swollen from charging them too quickly, which causes overheating. The plates in the cells get warped, which causes the sides to bulge.

I don't think it's the fault of your Magnum inverter. In fact, I'm inclined to lay blame on the engine alternator, which is using a single voltage regulator to charge not only the Group 49 chassis battery, but also the Group 24 house batteries through the BIM. You know how they always say not to mix battery sizes in a battery bank? Well, the engine alternator sees all three batteries as a single bank when the BIM has the two systems interconnected for charging, and it doesn't charge the batteries proportionally with their capacity or state of charge.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
+1 with Paul...

Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
According to the Lifeline Technical Manual (http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/manual.pdf) an AGM battery is very resistant to freezing temperatures:
100% charge, freezes as -94░F
75% charge, freezes at -53░F
50% charge, freezes at -13░F
25% charge, freezes at +9░F
0% charge, freezes at +21░F
So unless you winterized your Airstream Interstates with less than a 50% chargeŚ which is I don't think you guys are so careless to have doneŚ the electrolyte in the batteries shouldn't have frozen. Even though freezing temperatures may cause the electrolyte to expand, you guys shouldn't have experienced temperatures cold enough, for long enough, to let the whole thermal mass of the batteries get that cold.

I still think the culprit is overcharging, probably from the engine alternator, which would have bypassed the Magnum inverter/charger entirely.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
The van is outside in Decatur, IL; and we had some snow this year, so YES, but the van was plugged into 30A power so they 'should' have been at full charge all winter.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I still think the culprit is overcharging, probably from the engine alternator, which would have bypassed the Magnum inverter/charger entirely.
Which is why Airstream should by me new batteries for saving $20 and not installing the Magnum Battery Temperature Sensor - costing me nearly $600 for batteries.

Amazon.com: Magnum MEBTS15 Battery Temperature Sensor with 15' Cable: Automotive

(I have mine to connect when I put new batteries in).

OF Course if overcharged by the ALTERNATOR then that is a whole other issue - how do I resolve that from happening again? I can't control what it does - can I?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I don't think the lack of temp sensor or the MB alternator are likely source of overcharging.

I looked up the charging voltages vs temp in Lifeline manual. The necessary charging voltage goes up as temp drops. So without the temp sensor the Magnum charger would not overcharge in cold winter weather. If anything they would be undercharged in cold weather.

According to the PCI BIM manual the BIM is designed to prevent overcharging of the coach batteries during long drives. The BIM relay does not close to charge the coach batteries when engine is running until the coach batteries are below 12.6V. Then it shuts off after an hour of charging and won't turn back on until coach batteries are again below 12.6V. If anything the BIM undercharges the coach batteries.

I recommend you check with your Airstream dealer and with Lifeline regarding these bulged batteries.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Roadtrek's new E-trek package would prevent the engine alternator from overcharging the rv batteries since they install a different, 2nd generator for charging the rv batteries. Totally separate system for the rv.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Update to battery install

Update: installed new Lifeline Batteries (took about 30 minutes to do myself) While in there I pulled out back wall of electrical to reach the inverter and connected a Magnum Battery Temp Sensor; so the charger could work properly (shame on Airstream).

After 24 hrs plugged in on 30AMP to charge everything fully I took it off A/C power (Fridge Off, Antenna Off, LP Off) and 4 days later was setting at 90% charge still (Solar Panel Clean & in partial Sun).

For Reference: with old batteries and no load; the batteries were < 8v in less than 2 hours. So we'll see with time if the problem was dead batteries on the lot when unit was initially picked up (suspected since NEVER over 24 hours with light load); or something to do with charging system (doubtful since all tests good).
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #23

Milatv, like your ladder to get to top. Did you custom make that or purchase it? az
Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Replace House Batteries (Magnum Inverter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzager View Post
Milatv, like your ladder to get to top. Did you custom make that or purchase it? az

I think this was it. Easy install only thing is the left door won't fold all the way around (release catch - open to magnet). I find I use it more to strap stuff to (chairs, bike, grill, etc) than I use it to climb on the roof. But I do use it for that as well. Mainly yo clean solar panel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00177..._SY115&simLd=1.

Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Checked it out on Amazon and in one place it says it's a bright dipped polished finish on thick gauge aluminum tubing. Then in another it says it's heavy duty stainless steel with an electro polished finish. Can you tell which it is?

Also it says it hooks over the door tabs. Does that mean it hooks over the top edge of the door? The picture is unclear but doesn't appear to have hooks on the top. Is it attached at the bottom?

Also says it comes in two lengths but only lists one - 6'. I'm guessing 6' would work on our high top van.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote