Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Removal of Kenwood DNN991HD

My Kenwood touch screen has died and I need to remove it to send it back for warranty. Does anyone know how AS installed this and how to remove it. I bought the removal keys off Amazon, removed the small frame around it but cannot get the unit out. Picture shows to put the keys half way up the height and push down. There is no space at all half way up and the space at the bottom is doing nothing. I'm afraid to break it and void the warranty.

jp
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
My Kenwood touch screen has died and I need to remove it to send it back for warranty. Does anyone know how AS installed this and how to remove it. I bought the removal keys off Amazon, removed the small frame around it but cannot get the unit out. Picture shows to put the keys half way up the height and push down. There is no space at all half way up and the space at the bottom is doing nothing. I'm afraid to break it and void the warranty.

jp
To remove the headunit, you have to pull off the entire faceplate, which is held on with snaps. To do that, you will need a small flat blade. You can get these at Harbor Freight. Start at the top, and gently pry it off, and work your way around the entire faceplate. After you remove it, you will see that the head unit is held in with four screws. You simply remove the screws and pull it out, unhook the wires and you are done. Here's a link that shows how it's done. You don't use the keys at all with aftermarket head units-only the original radio MB put in. That's long gone. Note that in step 2, it shows 4 screws, two at the top and two at the bottom, and step 3 shows two more. You can ignore the two on the bottom in step 2-I'm pretty sure you won't have to unscrew them as they only hold in the side trim pieces.

http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=134
Old 08-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Here's what I mean by the "entire" faceplate in case that was not clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mbdash.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	269926  
Old 08-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Here's what the trim panel removal tools look like:

or this:

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
This thread may help.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...rs-126668.html
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Thanks Guys

That thread showing the fake wood trim piece needing to be removed to reveal the 4 screws is just what I needed. Should be about 10 minutes.

jp
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote