Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hollister , California
Removal of 2nd row seats on a 2008?

I am looking into a 2008 Interstate and like everything about it except that it has two rows of seats up front.
I will be using this as a "home away from home" as I am on a long-term assignment and work 100+ miles from home and stay local to my job during the week.
I’d rather have room for a small work desk than have the unused seats.
Does anyone have a photo of what it looks like when the 2 rear seats are removed?
Is there a bracket or something underneath that will be sticking out creating a tripping hazard?
I doubt the current owner would like it too much if I bring along tools and start wrenching on it before I commit to buying it, so I’m hoping someone have share a photo if they have done this already.

Thanks
Tim
TimCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I have a 2013 and we removed the 2nd row seats. Will find the pics and repost them here for you. Be aware that, when you remove the seats, you'll have holes in the flooring where the bolts were. We cheaply covered them up with a rubber mat from Home Depot.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Here ya go...the seats removed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	228329  
Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I did removed the second row too and installed a shelf behind the driver side which also extend the countertop somewhat and leaves room for all kind of storage like shoes dog food. I also want to add a computer work station accessible by turning the driver seat. This is still in process. Will put pictures up as soon as I return from Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hollister , California
Thanks for the replies weirdstuff and PSchw

That is exactly the information I needed to know, and looks to be exactly the way I want it to work.

I had a similar idea for adding in a table for my laptop, but I hadn't thought about using the drivers seat and just swiveling it around, great idea.

weirdstuff, those are two beautiful looking loyal companions you have there.
TimCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCar View Post
weirdstuff, those are two beautiful looking loyal companions you have there.
Aww...thank you. We just love them to death!And I have to say, they LOVE all the space they now have for lounging and sleeping. You can see the big pile of doggie blankets just behind them. Spread those out all over that area at night, and they sleep like babies!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
2010 22' Interstate
carmel valley & silicon valley , California
How difficult is it to remove the seats?

Im curious how difficult it is to remove the seats?

Do you have to get under the coach?

I have considered doing this, and putting in threaded inserts, so it would be easy to remove, and re-install while packing for the trip, and setting up the coach for the purpose needed for that particular trip.

Thanks for your time and information.
lorenmckechn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCar View Post
I had a similar idea for adding in a table for my laptop, but I hadn't thought about using the drivers seat and just swiveling it around, great idea.
You could relocate the socket for the table pedestal to directly behind the driver's seat, so that once you turn the seat around, you put up the table right there instead of in the middle. You may want to shorten the pedestal slightly for use with a laptop, though…

In fact, even if the second-row seats are left in, relocating the pedestal socket still a reasonable thing to do. That dinky table isn't big enough for four people to use anyway, so why set it up midway between four seats? Just set it up between the driver's and driver's-side passenger seats, swivel the driver's seat, and have a table for two like a mini-dinette.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenmckechn View Post
Im curious how difficult it is to remove the seats?

Do you have to get under the coach?

I have considered doing this, and putting in threaded inserts, so it would be easy to remove, and re-install while packing for the trip, and setting up the coach for the purpose needed for that particular trip.

Thanks for your time and information.
It was easy, until it got hard.

No, you do not go under the coach. Just lift the leather "skirts", unbolt the seats, and lift them up and out. OK, so, they are bulky, and they each must weigh, literally, about 100 lbs, so, you will need 2 people to lift them up and carry them out.

There was some discussion about the bolts not being captured and possibly falling through, but we did NOT find this to be the case. Once you get the seats out, just screw the nuts back on to hold the bolts in place.

It would be super easy to reinstall the seats. But, again, given the weight and bulk, would take a couple people to do so.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
2010 22' Interstate
carmel valley & silicon valley , California
Thanks.

Wierdstuff & Protagonist,
Thanks so much for the quick reply about the seat removal, and the bolt details. I just purchased a gently used [16k miles], 2010 Interstate (2008chassis) and am setting about small customizations.

I sincerely appreciate all of the great information within this community forums, and hope to add some value soon to the forum.

I probably would not have made the purchase if it was not for all the background info within this amazing forum community, giving testament to how good the Sprinter/Airstream is in general. Of course there are little issues, but having such a great supporting community gives one a great feeling of security.
And the ability to work through issues, without total reliance on the "StealerShip".

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Loren McKechnie
lorenmckechn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Loren, keep in mind that different model years might be assembled differently.