Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Gilbert , AZ
Remote Controlled Blinds Malfunctioning

Hello everyone! I purchased my first 2017 Airstream Interstate Lounge, and WOW is the coach challenging my patience..!

The remote controlled blinds have never worked correctly. One will go up, while others malfunction. It's been to my local service center 3 times, in the last 4 months, each time followed by yet another malfunction.

BLINDS: Automotion manufactures the blinds, and it's WIDELY accepted that there are defective. The version installed in the 2016/2017 Interstates are from this defective batch. I found several stories on this board, and elsewhere.

NOTE: Both Automotion and Airstream are aware they are defective, and a new/improved version 2.0 is now installed.

I spoke to Mike @ Airstream. Honestly, I didn't leave the conversation convinced that the problem would be resolved. While Mike explained they would replace any blinds that malfunction under warranty (much appreciated), they had to first break. Mike explained that this first version blind had two catastrophic design issues. The RF receiver for the remote often stops working, or the gears jam. Both require the blinds to be upgraded to the new version (not fixable). I've had both issues.

After receiving the Coach back yesterday, multiple blinds still malfunction. I'll be making yet another appointment with my service center, and I have a call into Mike.

I'll keep everyone posted on how Airstream resolves the issue moving forward. I purchased an Airstream product (and paid the premium price) so I could limit these headaches. I also bought into the companies reputation for customer service. There are always issues with machines like this, so customer service is also a LARGE part of the decision making process.

This is a $170,000 motorhome, with a KNOWN defective blind system. It needs to be handled correctly; in a way not requiring the owner to visit a service center 4 times in as many months.

MY SOLUTION: Replace every blind, with the new 2.0 version. We will see...
tmittness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Join the club. 2016 with same issues. One of the reasons I bought in was for the blinds being remotely controlled. Not as fortunate to be under warranty nor close to an Airstream dealer. Thankfully mine jammed in the down position. This is going to be a winter project to see what I can makeover that will be as functional and also look nice.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittness View Post
MY SOLUTION: Replace every blind, with the new 2.0 version. We will see...
TMITTNESS - Wow, I feel for you. I can appreciate the frustration - after leaving it there to get all fixed, only to have multiple ones still broken. I hope they get it all squared away. On the subject of 2.0, while that will fix the truly defective units, this will not prevent stripped out gears or burnt motors due to 'other' issues. The 2.0 are not bombproof.

To reduce further issues once they get all fixed:

1. If travelling with pets, kids, or non-aware adults, check for obstructions before operating. My daughter once leaned on a closed night shade while taking a nap, knocked it off track. Grandson nudged one off from the comfort of his car seat strapped in. Same result. Forget our goldendoodle and greyhound. I won't let them near it

2. Check on upper inside part of rollers to make sure wiring spools and molex connectors are not in the way. They will rip everything to shreds and short out if they get tangled.

3. Check that track guides are freely inside their respective tracks before operating. FYI, if they get dislodged, they could end up in between both day/night tracks, making it appear they are secured inside 'some' track but not really inside the 'right' track.

4. LAST and most important, NEVER USE ALL UP/DOWN function. While it looks slick on a video, and from a technology standpoint, it ought to work & does work, but doing this means you can not spot a problem easily and may not catch it in time before gears strip or motor burns. Activate only 1 shade at a time so you can watch it from start/finish and react accordingly if need be. I have actually seen users (and yes, me included) hit ALL UP/DOWN for both DAY & NIGHT shades. Talk about asking for major trouble. I do not do this anymore. 1 scare was enough.

This probably could've gone on this thread. Not sure if our Mods could transfer this in there?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...em-177278.html
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Welcome to the family! Yeah, sorry but it is an issue across the board with a lot of people. Alex is the "shade whisperer" for sure and he bailed me out on my last "jam." His advice is straight on.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Power" shades...another oxymoron from AS?👎😂👎

Bob🇺🇸
Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #6

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Gilbert , AZ
Thanks everyone. Nice to know I'm not on this island alone. Great advise.

Through trial and error I've also discovered it doesn't take much of an overload to blow the 5A fuse for the blinds... When I bring it in for the blind replacement, the service center is doing to take a look at this as well. With NO obstructions, I blew 2, 5A fuses. It appears 3 windows (6 blinds) per fuse. Possibly they should have limited it to only 4 blinds...? Would a 7.5A fuse work to solve this issue?

The blind rails could be deeper, or the bottom rod could have been longer... I've noticed that they pop out easily. A rough road will do it. One shade at a time is a wise approach. I've caught several issues with miss alignment, before they causes a HUGE issue.

I looked into a switch out to manual blinds. Wow, expensive.
tmittness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittness View Post
Thanks everyone. Nice to know I'm not on this island alone. Great advise.

Through trial and error I've also discovered it doesn't take much of an overload to blow the 5A fuse for the blinds... When I bring it in for the blind replacement, the service center is doing to take a look at this as well. With NO obstructions, I blew 2, 5A fuses. It appears 3 windows (6 blinds) per fuse. Possibly they should have limited it to only 4 blinds...? Would a 7.5A fuse work to solve this issue?

The blind rails could be deeper, or the bottom rod could have been longer... I've noticed that they pop out easily. A rough road will do it. One shade at a time is a wise approach. I've caught several issues with miss alignment, before they causes a HUGE issue.

I looked into a switch out to manual blinds. Wow, expensive.
TMITTNESS - Hang in there. They will get it straight eventually. I still prefer the motorized shades, I am probably the only one who will say that out loud in spite of all the folks here who say otherwise.

I checked schema and Ckt3 (pink) is the only ckt that handles all motorized shades. Just confirmed this by pulling out that 5A fuse. All blinds won't work without that fuse. That is actually 14 shades from a 5A fuse. There are 7 individual day/night motorized shade units. Each individual day/night shade units is an 8W unit for a total of 56W, 4.67A. Hence the 5A fuse (there's 1 or 2 small lights on that Ckt also). Depending on EXT or GT, they are divided up into 2 sets, one set for R/S shades which includes sliding door & one set for C/S shades which includes both rear door shades. These 2 sets are handled by 2 separate Firefly modules 705301 & 705302 which both plug into the G7 main controller. So upping that to 7.5A may not be a good idea because instead of the fuse blowing, you could save the fuse and inadvertently use your motor as the fuse Also, I have a feeling (only an opinion here) that the 5A is also the current capacity of the Firefly modules 705301 + 705302 combined. If you look at the G7 main controller board, it is not meant to handle much more than that (though I have no actual G7 spec to prove my hunch).

Once they get you all fixed, believe me, as long as you exercise care, you won't want to convert to manual shades.

PS - there is a reason why NO cars that I am aware of (maybe there is?) has an ALL UP/DOWN power window button. Each switch has to be touched 1 at a time. It is because it is not a good idea. Why AS decided to have it there is pure gimmicky at best, total disaster at worst
Old 11-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I also like the shades Alex!
I have ahd my shre of issues and had to replace shades with the new version. Automation replaced on my 2016 while out of warranty (THANKS) but since then the operation is intermittent. Shades will not respond to the remote. If I wait a few hours, then it works. HMMM Anyway I posted my swap out here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2144064
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
I also like the shades Alex!
I have ahd my shre of issues and had to replace shades with the new version. Automation replaced on my 2016 while out of warranty (THANKS) but since then the operation is intermittent. Shades will not respond to the remote. If I wait a few hours, then it works. HMMM Anyway I posted my swap out here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2144064
SWILLY43 - For some reason, the 2018 does not have a remote. Not sure if that is a limitation because they converted to Firefly controllers in 2018. I have seen your remote in pictures but do not know if it is RF or INFRARED? Do you know which one? Each type of tech has it's quirks and you may be bumping into it due to locations of its receivers relative to the transmitter.