Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Regulator Recall - get it fixed!

I received a notice about a faulty regulator valve recall about a year ago for our 2013 Interstate. If it isn't broke I don't fix it due to numerous headaches over my 50 years when being anal about things.

Well, I am counting my blessings. Last weekend we stopped to let the dog have a much deserved potty break and there was a loud whooshing sound coming from outside and an obvious gas smell. Thank goodness we were using the RV and it wasn't just sitting in our garage like it normally does when this happened. I would have filled my entire home with a full tank of propane!

We didn't touch the propane all weekend so this thing will break on it's own, and release gas in large volumes. I think Airstream should have created much more of an emergency tone in that recall. If you haven't fixed yours, get it done, especially if your Interstate is stored indoors.

Brian

Old 03-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
We bought our 2013 AI used so I have sent a message to Airstream to see if it was recalled. Thanks for your post.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCpl View Post
I received a notice about a faulty regulator valve recall about a year ago for our 2013 Interstate. If it isn't broke I don't fix it due to numerous headaches over my 50 years when being anal about things.

Well, I am counting my blessings. Last weekend we stopped to let the dog have a much deserved potty break and there was a loud whooshing sound coming from outside and an obvious gas smell. Thank goodness we were using the RV and it wasn't just sitting in our garage like it normally does when this happened. I would have filled my entire home with a full tank of propane!

We didn't touch the propane all weekend so this thing will break on it's own, and release gas in large volumes. I think Airstream should have created much more of an emergency tone in that recall. If you haven't fixed yours, get it done, especially if your Interstate is stored indoors.

Brian
Brian,

1. Shut the propane valves when not in use .

2. Do NOT ignore recall notices especially ones that concern fuel, electrical, or safety ! The notice is warning enough for you to take action !
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
I'll give you another one, and I'm doing it because I brought it to the attention of AS and to date I have never heard a word of acknowledgement. It started when I noticed a leak of grey water that only happened when water was poured down the floor drain in the shower. This is a 5-month old Grand Tour, so I took it back to the dealer for warranty repair. It turns out that the plastic drain pipe from the floor drain passes too close to the engine exhaust, and the heat from the exhaust had melted a big hole in the drain pipe. The RV dealer replaced the pipe, and added some extra heat shielding so it doesn't happen again. My reason for concern was not the grey water leaking. It was the fact that the heat might have ignited the pipe under the coach and caused a real catastrophe. I sent an e-mail to AS recommending that they notify all Grand Tour owners and have them checked for a similar problem BEFORE it happens. My guess is that, because this is a Grand Tour, the plumbing switched sides, and the new layout was not adequately tested. So, if anyone has a Grand Tour, have the floor drain pipe checked for proper heat shielding before you smell plastic burning.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Consistent with my experience. Airstream trades on its name. The sooner they get into the 21 Century the more likely that they will survive! Competition is harsh.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Never leave propane tanks on in an enclosed space like a garage, even a carport enclosed on three sides. This refers to grill tanks also. Safety first. Jim
Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
The melted pipe issue is classic Airstream, having users beta test designs and slowly changing them as reports get turned in if they are serious enough. Either that or the installer in his rush to get whatever he had to do with not enough time to do it forgot the insulating shield. Production is job number one.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mine was on the recall list. Since we are currently in Indiana for my father-in-law's funeral and Jackson Center is on the way back to North Carolina, I made an appointment for next Monday at the factory. I wanted to tour the factory anyway so I can kill two birds at once. Obviously the previous owner ignored the recall.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Our recall was completed by the dealer prior to delivery last March. Documentation in hand and no problems. Did have AS service (at my expense)in May of last year install a propane on/off switch on the main coach instrument panel. Has worked flawlessly and saved many a trip outdoors in flip-flops on sub-freezing mornings to flip the switch.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arrived at the Airstream plant around 9:45 and we were on the road an hour later with the recall work completed. Their plant tour is at 2:00PM. Since we wanted to move on we did not stay around for the tour. Maybe some other time when the timing is right.

I did ask about the screen door for the Lounge models. The rear screen door is available but the they have not developed the side screen door yet. My understanding is that they are working on it.

I did pick up an Airstream Interstate black hat.