Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Refrigerator ventilation

While prowling through the parts catalogs, I noticed the grille at the top rear of the refrigerator that opens into the middle RS window box on my lounge. This struck me as pretty marginal refrigerator ventilation, especially when the blinds are down (as they usually are in our coach.) I noticed last week that the refrigerator was not cooling real well with the sun on that side of the coach.

What really bothers me is the lack of any opening for cooler air at the bottom of the cabinet. Refrigerators need airflow to get rid of heat and I have used fans in my bigger Airstreams for the last 20 years to get better cooling. Everything in the cabinet fits very closely and there are no dedicated air openings at the base of the galley cabinet.

I'm tempted to put a grille in the little panel with the aisle light, beside the furnace. I could fit a 4" louvered inlet there. A 12v fan blowing up across the back of the refrigerator would probably also be useful if there was a source of cooler air.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The grill above the microwave also vents the area that encloses the frig. I noticed that when we were traveling and I felt the heat coming out there and thought there was an opening to the outside since it was in the mid-90s. After I pulled the grill, I saw that the entire area was open under the counter. Additional venting wouldn't hurt but a fan behind the grill would probably do more good.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The grill above the microwave also vents the area that encloses the frig.
Airstream, in their wisdom, replaced that grille in mine with a cute little tip-out catchall. My microwave fills its compartment completely. I would also worry about heat from the microwave if it was used in convection mode.

What I really think is needed is a vent at or near floor level.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The grill on mine was part of the microwave surround plastic trim. The tip-out was above that.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Vents

I was digging through the 2016 parts manual last night. The Grand Tour with the stacked refrig and freezer has vents, both at floor level, and at the top of the cabinet. My galley has only the poorly placed upper vent in the window box and no source at all for air at the bottom of the cabinet.

Over the last 20 years, I have been experimenting with fans and baffles to improve refrigerator efficiency. This IA is the worst case I have experienced since I had a folding Trailmanor years ago.

Today, it was hot here again. My fridge crept up to 42 inside. I pulled out the bottom drawer partly to open a source of air and also raised the blind in the galley window slightly to allow better airflow out the top vent. When I returned from lunch, the refrig temp had fallen 2 degrees. This proves to me that more airflow will definitely help cooling.

There is about a 2" high board under the bottom galley drawer. I intend to replace that with a grille to permanently supply some air into the bottom of the cabinet. I may install a fan, as well. I could run a fan off the switch for the useless light at floor level in the galley.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Novakool venting

I downloaded the Novakool manual this morning. Attached is the page on refrigerator venting.

Airstream supplies a very small vent at the top (much less than specified) and no venting at the bottom. I don't know how Airstream expects the refrigerator to perform properly in Texas heat, let alone in more temperate areas.

As stated in my prior post, I intend to supply some bottom venting under the drawer. In addition, I will put in a side vent on the rear of the cabinet behind the fold-down extension. I should be able to provide enough vent at the top, but my bottom vent will not meet the Novakool spec in size.

I'll see what the results are on our next hot day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Novakool venting.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	280410  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Worse than I thought

I pulled the top drawer, over the refrigerator today to take a look. I thought I at least had some poor top venting for the refrigerator. Turns out, I had no top venting at all, in addition to no bottom venting.

The slot for the louvers (shown on the galley diagram and parts list) is covered up on the window side by felt-feeling upholstery and there are no louvers installed there. The slot is labeled #26, see red arrow) is obviously the intended place for the top louvers. #26 in the associated parts list is a VENT, LOUVERED, 2.63 X 17.50, BLACK

If you look at the diagram labeled Interior shell, there is a notch (red arrow) in some, but not all, diagrams. Other views on the same page do not show the notch. That is where the louvers are installed, but no louvers appear on that parts list. The louvers, in this position, are almost totally blocked by galley wood and side panels.

My guess is that the louvers were intended to be moved to a higher and better location at some point, but my rig ended up with a unworkable mixture of both versions.

I can fix it. I'll cut out the upholstery blocking the #26 opening and staple a bit of black-painted hardware cloth over the inside of the slot. I can't easily remove the inoperable vent in the side panel, but I can simply ignore it.

Anyone who is experiencing poor cooling may benefit from this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Galley drawing.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	280584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side panels.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	280585  

WBCCI #9632
Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I guess they must have changed the surround bezel on the microwave since the 2011 had a grill on the top portion which exhausted a lot of hot air when the frig was running. The slot on the back next to the window was just an open slot on mine w/ no louvers. Never found any other openings. With that said, the frig never had any problems cooling. In fact it took a couple trips to get the control set low enuf so stuff didn't freeze.

So your mods should solve your problem. And if you do install a fan, I'll bet the Novakool terminals are temperature controlled so might not need a switch in the fan circuit.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
Contributing Member

I found some louvers on top and under my microwave, but they are so tiny that I had not even noticed them before. They are a tiny fraction of the area that Novakool requires.

I also figure the Novakool terminals are probably hot only when the compressor runs. OTOH, I can still save a little battery power by turning them off during cold months.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Opened up the vent

The first photo shows the blocked upper vent. The red arrow is the intended vent, but there are no louvers and the vent is blocked by the window box. The blue arrow is where the louvers are installed, but the louvers are on the other side of the lower wall. I can poke a probe through the louvers at the seam at the head of the blue arrow and see it from this side. In other words, there was no venting at all when I bought the coach.

I used my SonicCrafter to cut out the blockage at upper vent. It is a perfect tool in restricted spaces like this. A little trimming with a scissors and I have an operative vent. It is barely visible through the window from outside.

I have some 1/4" hardware cloth. I'll cut an appropriate sized piece, spray it black, and insert it between the upper wall and the vent opening.

I'll leave the louvered lower vent at the blue arrow blocked.

I can feel gentle heat coming out of the newly opened upper vent and I could see my refrigerator temperature start to come down by the time I left the coach.

Now, to do the floor-level vent and I think I will have a properly working refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blocked vent.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	280659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opened vent.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	280660  

WBCCI #9632
Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
Contributing Member

The new vent helps

It is a bit cooler today, but the refrigerator temperature is way down to the point where I had to ease off the setting. Getting cooler air to the Novakool has definitely helped.

I'm waiting for the louvers I ordered to finish the job.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
Contributing Member

The louvers came today

Some times fate is kind. I spent a lot of time searching on the net for any sort of louver that would replace or insert in the 3" high board under the drawer that is under the microwave. The refrigerator sits solid on the floor, so any bottom ventilation has to come from somewhere adjacent, and this is the only option. The louver came today and it couldn't fit much better if I had designed it.

The louver is meant for engine ventilation on a power boat. It was advertised as 17+ inches long and the opening is 15+ inches, so I was prepared to do some modification. Turns out that it fits just like it was designed for the space. The rear part fits into the opening without modification and the tapered ends are perfect for attachment to the front of the cabinet with 4 screws. The louver projects about as much as the drawer above it and projects a bit less than the microwave. It is quite sturdy.

I didn't have a square driver with me today to remove the Kreg screws attaching the board, so installation will wait to another day. I'll decide then whether the white louver is too jarring to the eye. If so, I can spray it black or brown with plastic paint.

The second photo shows the louver in front of the board it will replace. The louver is about 1/4" narrower than the board. It looks a lot smaller at this angle because the fins at the back space it away from the board. I'll space it 1/8" off the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170304_131857.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	280814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170304_132103.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	280815  

Name:	20170304_131913.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	280816  
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Bottom vent installed

I removed the 3" high piece under the microwave with some trouble. First, the 4 Kreg screws mounting it were hard to access. I ended up laying on the floor in some pretty uncomfortable poses. The bottom 2 screws were real bears to get to.

When I had the 4 screws out, the 3" piece was still held firmly in place. That's when I switched to "southern engineering." i.e., a few strategic blows with a dead-blow hammer. I found that there were 4 dowels in addition to the 4 screws holding the 4" piece in place. I certainly congratulate Airstream on quality construction. The 3" piece delaminated at one end after a couple of blows and came out. I had hoped to save it unbroken.

I found that the bottom 2 screws were very rusted and the top 2 screws were shiny as new. I conclude that there was a flood at some time before I bought the rig; probably the famous overflow of the sink when the cover is closed with the tap set on hot. There had to be about 2" of water on the floor.

The new louvers fit as though they were intended for the space. I have them attached with 2 temporary screws that will be replaced with white screws.

I was afraid that the white louvers would be too jarring, but I think they look great, so I will not paint them.

This concludes my quest to get proper venting, both at the top and bottom of the galley cabinet. I am really pleased with the results and my thermometer shows a definite improvement in cooling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Installed vent 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	280886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed vent.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	280887  

WBCCI #9632
Old 03-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Nice work - thanks for sharing the details.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Louver details

If anyone is looking for louvers to make a change like I did or for other places such as the top of the stack in Grand Tours, here is where I bought the louver.

VENTURI LOUVERED VENT 3 inch, WHITE, ATTWOOD 1494F1, ATT1494F1
Sold by: Atlantic Marine Depot
$14.99
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Flooding results

Here are the four screws that I removed from the galley today. The two on the right were about 3/4" off the floor. the shiny ones were about 2" higher. I don't know that a single flooding would rust them to this extent.

My rig came certified with a one-year warranty. I/m going to send this photo to the dealer so if there is some problem arise later that this obviously happened before I had the rig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rusted screws.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	280903  
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
Contributing Member

Change of heart

After conferring with my wife, who has a better sense of design than I, I decided to spray the new louvers black. She said that the white was just too much between the black furnace and the black refrigerator frame.

I bought a can of Rustolium semi-gloss black this morning and sprayed the louvers in my shop. They should be dry enough by lunchtime to reinstall, this time with black screws. I'll post a photo of the final installation.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Black louvers

I finally remembered to take a photo of the louvers painted black. They fit much better with the refrigerator and furnace than when they were white. The finished job looks completely original.

The refrigerator is holding temperature much better now that there is some ventilation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black Louvers.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	281112  
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Looks like it has always been there! Great job.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks really nice plus the black won't show scuffs as bad as white.