Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Ours sees the most use as a way to take 4-5 grand-kids on vacation each year. They don't mind the suborbital ride in the rear and as Protag said, the ride in front is very nice. I can drive for four hours and get out and walk w/o having to loosen up.

Having the on-board amenities like the bathroom, TVs, frig, and microwave is a definite plus. It's easy to drive and park too. Then there's the obligatory tours for the admirers.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boonville , Missouri
Never Camped - Don't intend to

So, we've never camped in ours, and we really don't intend to. We like to think of our interstate as a private jet we can take in comfort to the places we want to go. First of all, we have young kids, so the convenience of a bathroom, microwave, TVs, etc. are very nice on trips.
When we do plan a vacation, we typically book hotels with a breakfast included (Hampton Inn is our favorite) to start off our day, lunch in the interstate during the day's adventures and roll into the next stop after eating supper on the way - we love this arrangement for vacation-ish travel.
We do use it often for day trips as well. Our model seats nine in seat belts, so as an example, we took another couple with us recently (along with their two kids) to a neighboring town for brunch with Santa. We came out of the event to a nice warm vehicle, and the other couple deeply appreciated our hospitality. Of course, we've used it just to go to the grocery store or Sam's Club too.
Lastly, my job requires me to interact with some "muckety mucks" from time to time, where I need to be a host getting them to places around town. These folks may be government officials or industry prospects, but all are impressed with the thoughtfulness of the ride when I am their host. (As an aside, I insure my rig as a personal vehicle, not as an RV, in part for this purpose).
OK - really lastly, I also think of my Interstate as a bit of a backup to my home as well. I know that if I had to "bug out" for weather or some other reason, we could survive for a few days with the supplies I keep on hand in it. I like that feeling.
All in all, we use this vehicle much, much more than the 5th wheel it replaced simply because it is fun to drive, maneuverable, and makes a statement. We will have put on about 10,000 miles this year, with only 2,700 miles being from a "big trip" to SD, WY, CO, KS.
NewOldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Nothing worse than taking a road trip and not being able to drink coffee, water etc knowing that at some point you will have to find a bathroom. We cruise wherever we want without worry that we will have to make a pit stop in some dirty gas station.

Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Be sure to set a couple of mousetraps, especially if leaving food in the RV. I ignored this advice and went three years w/o a problem. Went out the other day after we had just returned from a short trip and found a small, quarter size hole in the rear lounge w/ some of the foam scattered about. Over the next two days, caught two mice. Not sure where they got in but suspect firewall. I know they can get thru very small openings.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
this thread makes me want an Interstate.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
this thread makes me want an Interstate.
It's an Interstate of mind. It re-writes the rules. I spent many years in school and then a decade working for "The Man". Then I started working for myself about 8 years ago. The state of mind I get by traveling in the Interstate is very much like the one I experienced when I went into business for myself. When you are traveling in a car or working for someone else, you do what the situation demands of you (with dirty bathrooms in both cases). In an Interstate or in your own company, you do what you want.

There would probably be people who say, "All RVs produce the same effect" but all RVs are not as versatile as a Class B, so I imagine that effect would be less.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
I second the private jet post we use our 2015 as a luxury transport. Weather 20 miles or a thousand it really takes the stress out of traveling. We have had ours since September and use a few times a week. We've already had some fantastic times from the blue ridge mountains to Disney World, beaches, parks and luxury resorts. I can park it anywhere anytime. Very pricey but we love ours.
CraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree completely with IB.

There is something very secure about knowing that all you need is a place to park and you have everything you need.

Ours has spent many a night in places a larger rig simply couldn't go......and is much more unobtrusive.

If you have water, propane, and a charged battery, those will meet all needs. So fun, so versatile.

If I'd had the money to have something like this when raising my children, might have had one......but, I didn't, and it instead became retirement nirvana for two physically and emotionally weary SOI worker bees.

We wanted a camper van.....and this is it, in style.

Maggie
Old 12-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Except that, unless you are of the pink flamingo or chili-pepper festoon light persuasion, breaking camp takes, like, three minutes.
Yep.

It is easiest if you just use your fresh water tank, rather than hook up to water.

So much simpler this way. Unplug your electricity, and you're off for groceries, laundry, sightseeing, etc.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastside , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
And for those who don't want to drag a toad, there's always the possibility of putting a bike rack on the back, or putting a Vespa scooter on a hitch-mounted rack. Before I traded in my SUV on a toad, I carried a bike with me, with a couple of baskets on the back that were big enough to put a paper bag of groceries in each.
Has anyone done the Vespa thing? I've thought about it, but I traded in the truck/trailer combination to get away from having to deal with mechanical, outdoor stuff. Also, it would block the back doors, though I have seen some people with a front-mounted motorcycle.

I think camping at a national park and touring by Vespa would be amazing. But I'm not sure what the reality is.
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Framingham , Massachusetts
Just did a roadtrip from MA to Cali,
We love this van/motorhome Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420401014.991763.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	229788
gambita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We say that every time we go on a trip.. In fact I'm itching to go somewhere.. Just get in and see the country..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Enjoyed Pebble Beach today.
Nice littler a RV Park in Carmel ValleyClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420434831.915314.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	229836
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Honestly I don't know why any one would buy an Airstream Interstate... First it really is not an Airstream... no rivets means not an Airstream...I really dare any one to argue this fact! Second there are way better Sprinter platform RV's on the market at a way better price and dare I say way better quality. I really feel sorry for those who bought an Airstream Interstate Sprinter with all the problems mentioned on this forum and others... No I am not a "hater" of the Airstream Interstate, I just expect way more from something that cost over $100,000 with the Airstream name. Thor has hijacked the Airstream name when it comes to the Interstate and I for one would wish they never gone down this road and would stop! I guess $$$$ has made Airstream forget about their core roots.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Let the market decide
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 AM   #36
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
First it really is not an Airstream... no rivets means not an Airstream...I really dare any one to argue this fact!
So the fact that it came from Jackson Center means nothing? I guess when we run into each other at an Airstream rally you'll just have to pretend like I'm not there since my Airstream Interstate doesn't exist for you. Pity. You seem a decent fellow otherwise, and it's a shame we'll never get a chance to meet because you'll be ignoring me.
Quote:
I really feel sorry for those who bought an Airstream Interstate Sprinter with all the problems mentioned on this forum and others...
And don't talk to me about the problems Airstream Interstate owners complain about. What about all of the problems trailer owners complain about? Like leaks. And rot. And filliform corrosion. Airstream has been making trailers for over 80 years and Airstream still haven't figured out how to solve those, either. So there! Nyah!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper1 View Post
new owner
No regrets
But would love to hear your reason and new ways to use the AI.
I dont think ill ever boondock
But I dont really care for RV Parks.
I guess that so far I like owning more than using.
Im sure this will change with the weather.
Looking at the OP, if one does not like RV parks....maybe state and national parks are the answer....more "nature" oriented, more "down to basics". Boondocking..oh well.

I think traveling around the country and having the capability to occasionally stop and live without support for a day or two, maybe this is why one owns an Interstate.

I was amused by the idea it is not an Airstream. That is what everyone said when Porsche came out with the 928, front engineer V8, water-cooled two seater. Most thought all Porsches had to be rear engine, air cooled, and relatively slow with small engines.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto, what Protag said.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Honestly I don't know why any one would buy an Airstream Interstate... First it really is not an Airstream... no rivets means not an Airstream...I really dare any one to argue this fact! Second there are way better Sprinter platform RV's on the market at a way better price and dare I say way better quality. I really feel sorry for those who bought an Airstream Interstate Sprinter with all the problems mentioned on this forum and others... No I am not a "hater" of the Airstream Interstate, I just expect way more from something that cost over $100,000 with the Airstream name. Thor has hijacked the Airstream name when it comes to the Interstate and I for one would wish they never gone down this road and would stop! I guess $$$$ has made Airstream forget about their core roots.
Interesting view point.

1. It is a true Airstream because it has an aluminum ceiling with rivets.
2. It is one of the market leaders (#3 behind RT and Winnie) and in general has features and quality on par with other B-vans.
3. Interstate has appeal because it has seating for 8-9 and that is important to many folks.
4. You should read some of the other forums on competitors - they all have problems.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Interesting view point.
1. It is a true Airstream because it has an aluminum ceiling with rivets.
Sounds right to me.

Quote:
2. It is one of the market leaders (#3 behind RT and Winnie) and in general has features and quality on par with other B-vans.
True, but kind of beside the point. Interstates are priced near the top of the market. For this reason, I think one has the right to expect best-of-class quality. While I have no quibble with design or features, build quality is average at best. It is certainly not best of class. There are MUCH better alternatives available, and better values as well. I think that Thor owes it to the Airstream brand and all of us who revere it to do better.

Quote:
3. Interstate has appeal because it has seating for 8-9 and that is important to many folks.
Agree.

Quote:
4. You should read some of the other forums on competitors - they all have problems.
True. But the sad thing is that most of the problems with the AI are so unnecessary. Almost all of the problems I had were shallow. Simple "don't give a d**m" sloppiness. It could be so easily fixed, and I am rooting that Thor marshals the will to do so.